Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Lucky Peak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

I have not been out this year because of this thread and I have two neighbors that fish regularly and their reports have been down-right gloomy.

One reported that finally on Saturday, they boated 7 and lost 4 at the boat so it appears its time to head to LP. From the photo, all were nice little footballs and none were close to pink so we may have a few weeks left.

I have been reading the threads on this site for a couple of years and have really enjoyed the new information and techniques of all you who post.
    Some may not enjoy the friendly teasing about leader length but it is all in good fun. Yes my drug of choice is Kok and i chase them whenever I can I went twice last week to Anderson Ranch Res. and at the first of the week caught 23 Kok and went Saturday to same place Fall Creek cove and caught 2 nice Kokanee and one 9 incher. Caught the 23 on pop gear and a pink wiggle hoochie at 40 foot down, same technique on Saturday and very slow.
    Thanks F bomb I will try the longer leader it is worth a shot and Terek i will try trolling close to the bottom. Thanks for the smell of bacon big N and for all your threads Pauli. Take care and keep up the good writing.

Default Koke is it

Many koke bites towards goose neck on the left side of canyon. Pink and orange squids down 25'. 1.2 mph. El Korah has a tournament on Sunday at 530. $15/person at the marina ramp
    team Zigzag

Default Going Sunday

I will try for Sunday early. Will be in the Lady Rainy blue 89' four wins freedom 190.

Default today

Fished from 7am to 2pm spring shores area. Only 6 fish on two poles but two were these and kind of slowish day for landings. We had more fish get away today than any day all year. The bite was very very light and non-aggressive. A couple other big spawners like these got off quickly. These all took line so you know you have a good one when they are on. One is a solid 18 the other is 17. Same setup as always orange wr spinner. All our hits were at 13ft today. Moved stuff up and down chasing fish finder marks but couldn't get any action accept one bite with no hook-up at 30ft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20170728_15_56_08_Pro.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	9110  

Quote Originally Posted by nepetbutler View Post
    Many koke bites towards goose neck on the left side of canyon. Pink and orange squids down 25'. 1.2 mph. El Korah has a tournament on Sunday at 530. $15/person at the marina ramp
    Where did ya hear about the fishing tournament at ?

Thanks
    Scott

Lund Pro Sport 1600
    Merc 65

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner16 View Post
    Where did ya hear about the fishing tournament at ?

Thanks
    From Triplett. Member of El Korah. Watch his video on u tube. How to catch lucky peak Kokes
    team Zigzag

Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    Fished from 7am to 2pm spring shores area. Only 6 fish on two poles but two were these and kind of slowish day for landings. We had more fish get away today than any day all year. The bite was very very light and non-aggressive. A couple other big spawners like these got off quickly. These all took line so you know you have a good one when they are on. One is a solid 18 the other is 17. Same setup as always orange wr spinner. All our hits were at 13ft today. Moved stuff up and down chasing fish finder marks but couldn't get any action accept one bite with no hook-up at 30ft.
    Fattys. Will try shallow .
    team Zigzag

Default andale arriba arriba

Here's another discovery that we've recently stumbled upon (along with now infamous 48" leader tip that can't possibly work because everyone knows you can't catch kokanee on a super long leader and you troll kokes at 1.5 mph!! I digress! ).

We were messing with a simple triple teaser with no flash setup because it's the most fun for actually playing kokanee and it's my Dad's beloved method from the good ole days. The triple teaser needs to be fished at over 2 mph so while we were playing with that method our other DR pole was the damn spinner flasher combo and it kept getting hit. It was pretty obvious that the increase in speed was improving the hit rate on the spinner. I also noticed that we were getting more action on the downwind troll. Once I started paying particular attention to the action it became obvious that our hit rate increased dramatically because of increased speed. Normally I troll 1.85 average which is what my boat does when it is just in gear on calm water. That speed has been working great but on the last two trips I've boated more of the big fish when we sped up to 2.0 to 2.85 mph. So while what I recommend can't possibly work maybe if you guys are pulling the spinner flasher combo try bumping up your speed and maybe you will be rewarded.

FYI The three fish that I killed on Friday weighed 7 lbs! (and they were delicious)

Here's another discovery that we've recently stumbled upon (along with now infamous 48" leader tip that can't possibly work because everyone knows you can't catch kokanee on a super long leader and you troll kokes at 1.5 mph!! I digress! ).

We were messing with a simple triple teaser with no flash setup because it's the most fun for actually playing kokanee and it's my Dad's beloved method from the good ole days. The triple teaser needs to be fished at over 2 mph so while we were playing with that method our other DR pole was the damn spinner flasher combo and it kept getting hit. It was pretty obvious that the increase in speed was improving the hit rate on the spinner. I also noticed that we were getting more action on the downwind troll. Once I started paying particular attention to the action it became obvious that our hit rate increased dramatically because of increased speed. Normally I troll 1.85 average which is what my boat does when it is just in gear on calm water. That speed has been working great but on the last two trips I've boated more of the big fish when we sped up to 2.0 to 2.85 mph. So while what I recommend can't possibly work maybe if you guys are pulling the spinner flasher combo try bumping up your speed and maybe you will be rewarded.

FYI The three fish that I killed on Friday weighed 7 lbs! (and they were delicious)
    Nice. Will try
    team Zigzag

Default Sunday Report

Just rolled in from a quick dip in the lake. We caught four very nice fish and lost three (1 trout and 3 kokes) fishing from 7am to 11am. While the bite is not at all like years past these fish are NICE! Once again all spawners but not over 17" this time. The shortest was 15 plus and it was a football shape and really healthy. Today was 50/50 14ft and 23ft trolling pretty fast between spring shores and gooseneck. Caught one fish at the mouth of robie and then nothing so we moved towards gooseneck and finally found em. By the time we left at 11 it was getting crazy on the lake!

There were some guys putting on a little fishing derby deal at the second spring shores parking lot. They said that they were Mason Lodge and it was a benefit for kids reading. When I left nobody had checked in yet so can't say if anyone was having much luck. They said it was late notice and they didn't really get a chance to advertise so they didn't expect too big a group. They had a pretty good collection of stuff on the table for prizes but I was in the way and had to hustle off and didn't really find out what was going on.

There are not that many people fishing up there. Must all be at Anderson bringing home the bacon. I'll take a few really nice fish and a half hour drive sans quantity. I've got more than I can eat again.....Man I wish we would hit a day when it's on at LP with this batch of fish. FUN FUN FUN

One guy was leaving at the same time as us and his wife said that it was pretty slow but they did catch a couple and one was a nice fish.

Default Sunday

Just got off the lake 12:30 hot but not the fishing. Started at 6:00. trolled south then east of spring shores. picked up one nice rainbow on the east leg. the east leg had some but not much fish surfacing but not the south leg like 2 years ago when fishing was pretty good, fish were surfacing all over. feels like the fish are at below arrow rock and not in the main lake due to the high flows this year. if they stop water from arrow rock I think it will get some better as the fish spread out or a lot of fish have been washed downstream. only time will tell. Please let me know if you see a change at LP. love to fish there but would rather catch.

Good luck all...

Default trolling fast

Hey F-Bomb- a few years ago I was at Lucky Peak and the wind was howling. It was early in the spring and I was trolling large size needlefish for trout. I started catching big kokes. That day I was trolling close to 3mph to keep the boat going where I wanted it to go. I was surprised to catch the kokes at that speed. Haven't tried it much since. Don't know why. Kokes can be caught trolling faster though at times it would appear.

I guess that would depend on what you are using Dodger or Flasher and which particular one. Trolling at 1.6mph, with my watermelon flasher and running it right beside the boat where I can see it, if I start pulling on the rod to speed it up, it starts rolling in circles. So around 1.6 is max for that particular lure. I have some dodgers/sling blades that I troll for trout at 1.9 to 2mph and they work great.

This past weekend at Anderson, I had my best success trolling at 1.6mph and then putting the boat in neutral once in awhile and then back in gear. I had most of my hits right after I put it back in gear. I used a sling blade on one pole and a watermelon flasher on the other. I had about the same amount of hits on each.

Fished Lucky Peak this morning from 7 to 9 between Spring Shores and Goosneck. Caught 1 koke, 1 trout, and 1 Chinook. 30 ft. all on same pole with a small pink/orange dodger with a 5" leader and a pink/orange bug (Murphys Kokanee Kombo). Had to quit because the Chinook wouldn't fit in the fish box ;-) 24" Long and about 3" across the back and over 6" wide. I didn't know they were that big. I caught a couple this spring that were smaller than the kokes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170731_104542.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	9114
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

Default Gooseneck

What area do you reference as gooseneck?

Quote Originally Posted by FSHFNDR View Post
    What area do you reference as gooseneck?
    Gooseneck Bay; about half way between the dam and Spring Shores. But after looking at a map, more specificly we were fishing in front of Birch Creek.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

Default Gooseneck

Thank you for that. Sounds like I am fishing too far north. Do you know what speed for the Chinook?

Quote Originally Posted by FSHFNDR View Post
    Do you know what speed for the Chinook?
    1.8 mph when I caught the Chinook.

Default Gooseneck

Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeJoe View Post
    1.8 mph when I caught the Chinook.
    Thanks for the help on the Chinook. that is what I am targeting.

Default Trolling Speed.

Do you use the GPS for trolling speed or your fishfinder has GPS build in? My hummingbird Piranhama 190C doesn't have GPS and I have the other Garmin echo 201DV that has the speed wheel sensor but it only works when the boat moves more than 3MPH. If you use the GPS, is there any problem with the satellite signal? I'm thinking to upgrade my fishfinder what's your recommend?
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Default Trolling Speed with GPS

Quote Originally Posted by fish4kok View Post
    Do you use the GPS for trolling speed or your fishfinder has GPS build in? My hummingbird Piranhama 190C doesn't have GPS and I have the other Garmin echo 201DV that has the speed wheel sensor but it only works when the boat moves more than 3MPH. If you use the GPS, is there any problem with the satellite signal? I'm thinking to upgrade my fishfinder what's your recommend?
    I use GPS since both my Fish finder and trolling motor use GPS for Speed control. However if there is a current it will not correctly tell you how fast the water is moving under the boat. In new areas without wind, let the boat drift and see if the GPS can indicate a current speed and direction that you can adjust for...

Default speed GPS and the Mason Lodge deal

When I talk about speed it is important to know that success based on speed is more dependent on the type of lure and your chosen technique. I pretty much just fish now at LP with a spinner combo because that is what has been working well on my boat. Usually my two DR setups are the spinner and if I feel like experimenting it is with a third or fourth pole long lined. We used to catch trout at LP trolling flies in the fall at crazy fast speed. This was back in the day when the kokes were all 8" long and we got more excited about trout. I know I've had some hookups up in the 3mph range on kokes during a downwind troll. We never got under 2.4 yesterday and we got some good results comparatively.

Anybody know how the Sunday Morning Mason's Lodge fishing tournament ended up(?). I was winning by default when I left at 11 with 3 for 48" but I didn't sign up since I'm not taking home more than I can eat in a day or two plus wasn't going to be able to stay until the weigh in. Pretty quiet from the regular LP posters. Nobody participated or nobody caught fish? HMMMM LOL

Fish4koke I use a GPS fish finder. I'm not sure how accurate speed on it is so what I do is just try to duplicate the magic number if we can zero in on one that is more consistent. My pontoon gets pretty large speed variations with a head or tailwind. I bought a Lowrance Hook 7. I have zero experience with any of the new units and it kind of makes your head spin to research them and decide what is best. It was moderate in cost (comparatively speaking) and had the GPS and the trail map (which I love for kokanee...mark and x when you get bit and go over again and again...more action is certain). It shows the bottom so I don't lose my gear and when we see marks on it we have often caught fish at that depth so it seems like it is working. I guess for the two seasons now that I've had it I would say I'm very happy with the thing. It even worked well last year when it was so smoky that you couldn't see have way across the lake and even on some pretty stormy days so the satellite deal doesn't seem to be an issue. I know sometimes my Satellite tv hiccups in really bad storms.

Default one more thing on speed

My downriggers will hum at about 2mph on the GPS. I used to worry that that humming vibration would bother the fish but it seems like it is the opposite. If those things aren't humming we don't seem to get hit as often. Playing music on the boat also doesn't seem to hurt. I haven't been able to zero in on what genre they want but I know it isn't Katy Perry! (sorry nepetbutler) It seems like if we get a nice Padron 1926 cigar going, a good sniff of Bourbon, and some decent 70's and 80's rock we get fish. Weird

Caught only one fat kok today on silver blade/ pink hoochie at 20 feet. Will the fishing get any better this year at LP?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast