Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 337

Thread: 2017 Lucky Peak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

  1. #176

    Default Macks Creek Update

    All the docks including the launch were all out of the water at Macks Creek today. Marina was not looking to bad for being Fathers Day.

    Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

  2. #177

    Default Still No Love

    I had to take the wife to the airport early this morning (from Caldwell) and I figured that I might as well drag the boat along and head to the reservoir for a few hours of fishing after I dropped her off. Fished from 0600 to 0810.....Absolutely no love for me. I did manage to bag a pike minnow.... Whooh Hoooo !!! Water temp at the dam was about 60 degrees, but the best news is that the turbidity is much improved. I could see my gear in the water for about 3 to 4 feet. ..... Other than the squaw, no bites.

    Oh.... is it me?....or does anyone else think the boys and girls from the Army Corps of Engineers put the docks in at Turner Gulch "Bas-Ackwards"??? All of the tie down cleats are on the outside of the docks. This means that you have to run your tie down lines from your boat across the dock to the tie down cleats on the opposite side after launching. Quite a potential safety concern. I suppose you could walk your boat all the way down to the end and pull it to the outside of the docks.....but REALLY??? What do you do if you're solo (which I usually am) and there is a line boats already in the water at the dock???

    Going to be yet another several weeks for me before I head back up.

    Pauli

  3. #178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    I had to take the wife to the airport early this morning (from Caldwell) and I figured that I might as well drag the boat along and head to the reservoir for a few hours of fishing after I dropped her off. Fished from 0600 to 0810.....Absolutely no love for me. I did manage to bag a pike minnow.... Whooh Hoooo !!! Water temp at the dam was about 60 degrees, but the best news is that the turbidity is much improved. I could see my gear in the water for about 3 to 4 feet. ..... Other than the squaw, no bites.

    Oh.... is it me?....or does anyone else think the boys and girls from the Army Corps of Engineers put the docks in at Turner Gulch "Bas-Ackwards"??? All of the tie down cleats are on the outside of the docks. This means that you have to run your tie down lines from your boat across the dock to the tie down cleats on the opposite side after launching. Quite a potential safety concern. I suppose you could walk your boat all the way down to the end and pull it to the outside of the docks.....but REALLY??? What do you do if you're solo (which I usually am) and there is a line boats already in the water at the dock???

    Going to be yet another several weeks for me before I head back up.

    Pauli
    I think it is a good idea to have the cleats on the other side of the dock.
    Nothing frost my ass more than some yahoo taking his sweet time getting away from the dock while other people are trying to launch or get their boats out of the water.
    If more folks had common courtesy it wouldnt be an issue.

  4. #179

    Default

    This! The ramp is for coming/going...if you're solo dunk it, drive it around to tie up and then move the trailer so that as soon as you move the trailer someone else can use the ramp. Pauli, I do it all the time at Spring Shores, difference being I either move towards the end of the dock or to the other side; either way the ramp is useable by others as soon as I move my trailer, not after I move the trailer, waltz back, and then get in the boat and move it...just saving others a bit of time and blood pressure.

  5. #180

    Default I get it

    Completely understand what you guys are saying. But, this is going to prove to be minor disaster for those who launch or recover solo... or with a wife and kids who don't know dittle about handling a boat.....especially around a crowed boat launch. Just watch...Wait...and See.... Take your blood pressure medicine to the lake with you, I guarantee you are going to need it.

    Pauli

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Boise, ID.
    Posts
    5

    Default Semi stumped

    OK. I want some feedback. We have fished Lucky Peak with huge success in recent years, but what gives this year. We've been 4 or 5 times...fish on the scope and we are lucky to bag a single kokanee and 2 or 3 planters. Fish four hours today and only found one kokanee...though it was a nice 16 incher. Is it the high water?

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default Heading up now

    I'll give a report on return. I know it's been slow to put it mildly. But the boys need something to do.

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default Went up fishing this morning.

    Not a bite trolling, my 11 year old has a bass on a senko worm along some rubble structure but lost the bass next to the boat. Very few fish on the finder. Some real deep ones that were hugging the bottom, likely suckers. Let's hope things pick up soon. Oh and today's water temp at surface was 65 degrees.

  9. #184

    Default Fishing Update Lately Please

    Haven't seen much news on the thread.

    Thanks

  10. #185

    Default

    I've made a few trips to Anderson Ranch this past week. Gets little spendy in gas coming from Caldwell out to Curlew...but at least there are loads of fish there. Had a blast there yesterday with the wife and the pup. We did well with orange at around 14 feet. Think Lucky Peak will be able to recover before the spawn??? Really starting to look bleak. It's one thing to deal with the wake boarders and the ramp traffic at Lucky Peak, but to deal with that crap.....and catch no fish..... is a big "Nope" for me.

    Pauli

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    160

    Default Sinking Wakeboat in June/04/2017 @ LP

    I just run across this video on Youtube. That was a rough water on LP reservoir on that day. You can skip to 6:19 time line for saving your time..
    luckily it happened close to the dock.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgn4l6j3OZw
    Last edited by fish4kok; 07-03-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eagle
    Posts
    13

    Default Fishing Update

    Went to LP yesterday (7/3). Fished from 10am to 3pm. A slow day but maybe things are picking up. The wife and I caught 5 Kokanees, 3 trout, and 1 perch. Landed all of them but only kept the 5 Kokes and 2 Trout. Kokes ranged from 12" to 13", so still pretty small. Fished the bay in front of the marina with no luck. Then went to the bay that is just to the left as you enter the channel heading to the dam. Caught all our Kokes there, long-lining with 1oz, 2oz, and 3oz weights. Using Ford Fenders and dodgers. The line with the 3oz weight with a Ford Fender and a chartreuse spinner did the best. Caught the perch on a Ford Fender with an orange spinner (2oz weight). Crazy, huh? Didn't mark many fish in the morning, but we marked plenty of fish in the afternoon. Just couldn't get them to bite with any regularity. We only had a few more bites other than the ones that we landed (so maybe a total of 12 bites between us for the day). Also tried Goose Neck Bay, but no luck there either. Anyway, we brought home some Kokes, so not a bad day. And believe it or not, it wasn't that crazy out there. Sure there were jet skiers and wake boarders, but it seemed we were all spread out and all were well-behaved. No issues at the docks. Heading to Deadwood next week for 5 days. Hope we do well there.


    KokaneeKevin
    16' Tracker (beige w/ green stripes, green canopy), 75hp, 4-str Merc

  13. #188
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6

    Default Suprised

    Fished Sunday 7:00 am till 10:00. Didn't catch any Koks. I did see and hear of a few landed. I did manage to land a 5.9 lb Chinook. I didnt even know there were any that large in there. I know that DFG stocked some recently.

  14. #189

    Default

    Thinking of headed up to Lucky Peak Monday morning...... Any more recent reports??

    Pauli

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    boise
    Posts
    116

    Default Kokes r biting

    Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Thinking of headed up to Lucky Peak Monday morning...... Any more recent reports??

    Pauli
    pink squids. Anise/ krill pink Firecorn. 25' down . Halfway down towards goose neck on the left side. Hooked a bunch. Landed 4
    team Zigzag

  16. #191

    Default

    Thanks for the info sir. I'll give it a shot.

    Pauli

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Caldwell
    Posts
    133

    Default Great day!!!

    On the water this morning at 7:00 am off at 9:30 with a limit, I was gone before the wakers woke. 25' and orange worked for me.

  18. #193

    Default good not great today..but fun

    Fished from the white pipe towards goose neck bay with orange wedding ring behind silver paper flashers white corn with canned tuna juice and blue herring juice. Two poles DR 20ft and 25ft. From 7am to 10am got the 6 but two were pretty small 12's and 14-15 that all went back. Did take a 17 & 19 and they were DELICIOUS! I've been filet then pan frying the chunks in olive oil with dill, lemon pepper, salt, and dried onion to a crispy brown.

    Beautiful calm morning..pretty much perfect for a relaxing troll.

    Quite a few boats out but everyone was pretty spread up and down the lake. I saw two fish get caught and people were really on the move so I suspect it wasn't red hot for anyone. The bite for me was pretty even with no big run our long dry spell. I normally fish all day (today I only had one license and thus two poles) and will usually hit a hot bite but today I wanted to get off the lake before the madness. By 10:30 it was ON! Once the Christians get up there and add to the Heathens there is just too much stupid for one area. Glad to get out of there as that is not relaxing or fun.

    So summary is that you can now catch some kokes at LP but it isn't like last year (YET). The water is still murky and full of sticks and grass...I think another week or two and things will liven up.

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    39

    Default Kokes can be caught

    Fished from 8:30 to 12:30 Between Spring Shores and Goosneck Bay. Caught a limit of nice fat kokes plus 2 nice trout. 25 feet Pink dodgers and hoochies. Beautiful Morning.
    Old (1979) Chrysler Tri-hull Outboard with 5hp Evinrude Kicker and Penn downriggers.

  20. #195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    Fished from the white pipe towards goose neck bay with orange wedding ring behind silver paper flashers white corn with canned tuna juice and blue herring juice. Two poles DR 20ft and 25ft. From 7am to 10am got the 6 but two were pretty small 12's and 14-15 that all went back. Did take a 17 & 19 and they were DELICIOUS! I've been filet then pan frying the chunks in olive oil with dill, lemon pepper, salt, and dried onion to a crispy brown.

    Beautiful calm morning..pretty much perfect for a relaxing troll.

    Quite a few boats out but everyone was pretty spread up and down the lake. I saw two fish get caught and people were really on the move so I suspect it wasn't red hot for anyone. The bite for me was pretty even with no big run our long dry spell. I normally fish all day (today I only had one license and thus two poles) and will usually hit a hot bite but today I wanted to get off the lake before the madness. By 10:30 it was ON! Once the Christians get up there and add to the Heathens there is just too much stupid for one area. Glad to get out of there as that is not relaxing or fun.

    So summary is that you can now catch some kokes at LP but it isn't like last year (YET). The water is still murky and full of sticks and grass...I think another week or two and things will liven up.
    Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeJoe View Post
    Fished from 8:30 to 12:30 Between Spring Shores and Goosneck Bay. Caught a limit of nice fat kokes plus 2 nice trout. 25 feet Pink dodgers and hoochies. Beautiful Morning.
    Sounds like things are picking up.
    I have been catching ditch pickles at lake Lowell. I am so ready to catch some kok's !
    Probably give it a try Wed or Thurs on this week.

  21. #196

    Default

    Fished Lucky Peak with a friend from 0900 to 1400. Only 1 trout boated between the 2 of us. Started at the dam, hit Goose Neck, Silver pipe, Across from the marina, abeam the park, Mack's creek and then up closer to Arrow Rock Dam. Not a heck of a lot of fish marked. Tried lots of colors, baits, shoepeg, maggots... at lots of different depths. LOTS of fishing boats out too..... Didn't see any nets flying at all. Lucky Peak is really turning out to be a bust.

    Pauli

  22. #197

    Default re-adjust

    The fish don't just disappear and if there was a major kill you would see them as floaters and would have heard about it through the grapevine. There are lots of fish in LP not any different than years past. Not marking them means the masses of fish are not schooled and are holding in the top 10ft. You pass over and they scatter away from your boat plus your fish finder only marks about three feet of area at that depth so you never actually see much of the shallow fish. Now all of that doesn't actually mean the shallow fish are on the take. They are not yet for some unknown reason. I think it is water clarity and sub surface temp consistency in that first 15ft of the water column that relates to the plankton activity. I was dead on with my WAG of when LP would start to get active and now I'm telling you that in a week as the water settles in and clears up now that the flows have been lower and steady we will see it happen. IE "it happen" is when everyone catches kokanee regardless of presentation and with a wide variety of depth. Those days are when you see the boats tightly grouped and the nets out.

    Pauli, You posted that you fished what is described as pretty close to everything on LP ("damn" dam to dam including up the arm!) in 5 hours. I think that I see the problem. You must be trolling about a minimum of 10 mph to cover that much area in 5 hours! At "1.84" mph I can only fish 9 miles of LP in that time allotment. So as Simon and Garfunkle say...slow down you move to fast...you've got to make the moment last!

    oh I almost always forget......internet must say LOL

  23. #198

    Default forgot to ask

    The biggest fish from Saturday (male) had a hint of pink on just the ends of the ventral and anal fins. Maybe just a very slight hint of his jaw forming. The smaller ones 17 and under did not at all. I wonder if the spawner year fish are starting to turn or if this was an anomaly. The big fish we caught at Anderson last week showed no signs of turning yet. Anyone else seen this so far?

  24. #199

    Default re-adjust

    The fish don't just disappear and if there was a major kill you would see them as floaters and would have heard about it through the grapevine. There are lots of fish in LP not any different than years past. Not marking them means the masses of fish are not schooled and are holding in the top 10ft. You pass over and they scatter away from your boat plus your fish finder only marks about three feet of area at that depth so you never actually see much of the shallow fish. Now all of that doesn't actually mean the shallow fish are on the take. They are not yet for some unknown reason. I think it is water clarity and sub surface temp consistency in that first 15ft of the water column that relates to the plankton activity. I was dead on with my WAG of when LP would start to get active and now I'm telling you that in a week as the water settles in and clears up now that the flows have been lower and steady we will see it happen. IE "it happen" is when everyone catches kokanee regardless of presentation and with a wide variety of depth. Those days are when you see the boats tightly grouped and the nets out.

    Pauli, You posted that you fished what is described as pretty close to everything on LP ("damn" dam to dam including up the arm!) in 5 hours. I think that I see the problem. You must be trolling about a minimum of 10 mph to cover that much area in 5 hours! At "1.84" mph I can only fish 9 miles of LP in that time allotment. So as Simon and Garfunkle say...slow down you move to fast...you've got to make the moment last!

    oh I almost always forget......internet must say LOL

  25. #200

    Default

    Good Morning F-Bomb.

    No.... We didn't troll to those area. We spent about 40 minutes or so at each location, then jetted on to the next. Since the reservoir has been such a poor producer, we thought a little "prospecting" was in order. I think what was is going to happen is that the fish in the reservoir are going to start to turn (develop for the Spawn) before they ever school up and produce the action that we have all enjoyed over the past several years. The timing of it all may leave many disappointed. But who knows?? I think that, more than likely, we are going to have a killer of a time in the fall.....after the Spawn.... with next year's fish. Smaller....yes, but should be abundant.

    We talked to several guys and gals out on the lake yesterday. The reports were mostly the same. A lot of bewildered anglers. Kudos to those of you few who are managing to boat the elusive critters. I just haven't seen much myself...or talked to anyone out on the lake who was having success.

    Pauli

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •