Thread: 2017 Arrowrock Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Hybrid View

Default 2017 Arrowrock Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Hoping that this years reports from Arrowrock are more positive than last year.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default Hope the Kokes show up this year.

Maybe the fish will make a comeback this year to Arrowrock. It would be good to be able to take a little pressure off of Lucky Peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Maybe the fish will make a comeback this year to Arrowrock. It would be good to be able to take a little pressure off of Lucky Peak.
    they get into a 3 year cycle up there. 2 years ago it was hot, that would be the third year. last year the cycle started over, hence why it sucked. This year will be year 2. Should be alright, but it wont be spectacular till 2018
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Default Ice on Arrowrock

I drove up to Arrowrock reservoir on the 4th to take a look. About 6 inches of ice covering the whole reservoir and water levels dropping rapidly. Should have taken my ice fishing gear. (it is a little too sketchy for that now). Looks they are preparing for some major runoff in the next little while.

Has anyone tried Arrowrock yet? Thought about bringing family up this afternoon and trying it out for a few hours.
    "Green Guppy"- Old boat, Older motor...full fish box (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by AkAngler View Post
    Has anyone tried Arrowrock yet? Thought about bringing family up this afternoon and trying it out for a few hours.
    go check it out! last I heard, it was still frozen solid
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Default report

A great weather day considering it was Nov. 30. I kept 3 kokanee and released 5 rainbow. I got some in Nibbler Ck bay and some at the confluence. I ended up doing better with my three bladed flasher, a spinner, 100 ft of line, and no weight. When I got out another brave fisherman had caught his kokanee limit fishing about 20 ft down opposite the ramp. The same place I tried Wednesday and got nothing. Kokanee do move around. Anyway, I had a good day. It may be my last for the year.

Physion

Hey Physion,

Good to hear you had a decent day. I know how frustrating it can be to spend hours on the reservoir and not get much, while the guy right next to you slays them. Happens to EVERYONE! If you do put the boat away for the winter, at least you ended the season on a bright note .

This year I have been keeping some of the trout. If I bring home 4 or 5 Kokes, I make sure that I bring home 4-5 trout as well. This year we started throwing a trout on the grille with every Koke cooked. They really compliment each other well. It's just the wife and me, so one Koke and one trout is plenty. Give it a try. I season them the same..... and the cooking time is virtually the same (at least on a Traeger). Also.... I very rarely fillet these fish. I grill them whole....with the head attached. It takes a nanosecond to pull away the spine and all of the bones in one motion, and there is virtually no wasted meat. I just have to pull away the fin bones.....which also takes no time at all.

I'm pretty sure I have at least 1 more trip to Arrowrock this season. It's not time for me to put the boat up yet.

Pauli

Default Arrowrock, Friday December 01 2017.

Hi Pauli,
    The anemometer at Barclay Bay on LP that fooled you :) Look at those 2 photos that I took today. There wasn't windy at all and the lake surface was like glass. I often check weather report from NOAA or the link below, but as the weather report that never be 100% correct. You can select the area in the map for forecast or the other chart by hourly.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...9#.WiIQDlNryUk

We were there about 10:15 Am and start to fish about 10:45AM We caught 6 Kok in about an hour at 7' and 15' with DR, after that we caught couple more trout that we released. Same setup as was on last report.
    There were 3 boats that included mine fishing in the Nibbler Creek.

From noon until 3:00PM no bite at all. There were few spot that indicated fish from 20' to 45' but they didn't bite. We changed lures, fishing depth, trolling speed...nada... So we quit at 3:15. We took home 1 person kok limit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arrowrock_2992.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	9292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arrowrock_2990.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	9293  
    Last edited by fish4kok; 12-02-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Default Did you find your DR?

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    A great weather day considering it was Nov. 30. I kept 3 kokanee and released 5 rainbow. I got some in Nibbler Ck bay and some at the confluence. I ended up doing better with my three bladed flasher, a spinner, 100 ft of line, and no weight. When I got out another brave fisherman had caught his kokanee limit fishing about 20 ft down opposite the ramp. The same place I tried Wednesday and got nothing. Kokanee do move around. Anyway, I had a good day. It may be my last for the year.

Physion
    Hi Physion.
    Glad that you had a good day yesterday. I fished on opposite side of boat ramp on Wed. too. I spent about 45 min and there was only 1 hit but didn't land the fish. Later we ran up to Nibbler creek and did well.

This morning saw a boat trolling in that area, that may be a hot spot. There were few boats on the lake today. Lake is about 84% full, water is clear but few areas cover with drift woods.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Well..... I'm going to head up to Arrowrock tomorrow morning. I imagine it's going to be cold. Hopefully not too windy. I'd like to fish a little more before the ice comes. I'll check the weather before I leave the house to make sure that the the weather is cooperating.

Pauli

Made it up to Arrowrock today. There was a little snow last night... cold, but no wind. Only managed to get one in the boat. I caught that one right off the bat at 8:15. After that I only had 2 or 3 bites. Ended up leaving around 1:00 pm. There was only 1 other boat out there.... could have been Physion, but I didn't investigate to find out. I think that I will head up again later in the week....if there isn't any ice by then. Water temp up near Nibbler Creek was around 45 degrees. All in all, a beautiful morning on the lake.

Pauli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	9297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0126.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	9298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0127.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	9296  

Default I give up

Ok, I give up. Only 2 trout today. I can't go on Friday, so I'm going to dig out my downrigger and try again tomorrow. Pauli and Fish4kok have tempted me beyond what I can resist. The wind report is good for tomorrow, too.

Physion