Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Anderson Ranch Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Default docks and fish

The docks are still out at Curlew and will probably not be put in this year. And we still get to pay.

On a better note, I went yesterday, Tuesday, and did well. Tight lines!

We are headed out in the morning. Haven't caught much of anything for kokanee yet this year so hoping it changes tomorrow.

We could not keep the fish on for some reason. Most likely due to rookies LoL. The 20" bow made up for a bunch we never boated. Stayed right around Curlew and did ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2924.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	9080  

Quote Originally Posted by dustyjohns View Post
    We could not keep the fish on for some reason. Most likely due to rookies LoL. The 20" bow made up for a bunch we never boated. Stayed right around Curlew and did ok.
    Hi dustyjohns! Thank you for service.
    My wife and I fished there yesterday with the kokabow spinner and did well. Sure we lost many fish in the morning but in the afternoon when the wind came up then the fish hit little harder. I put couple shoepeg corn on the 2nd hook and 1 piece on the 1st hook and leave the sharp point uncover.
    That's a nice size trout.
    Were you on the 18' Lowes boat?
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

So, I've been snooping around here for some time now and thought it was high time I join up and start sharing info. I took my dad out weekend before last. We ended up with 13 kokes for one day. Last weekend I took mom and we limited with 50 fish. I went up this last Friday after work and had my limit by 8pm. Mom and dad joined me Saturday and we left with three more limits. Water temp is 75 degrees and the fish are biting mainly from 10-25ft down. Pretty much any color combo is working although some are much better than others at times. Best place to fish seems to be right in front of curlew launch out to the two shallow water buoys. Get em while you can boys and girls cause I have a feeling the water is gonna warm up fast and they will go deep and stop playing. Good luck and tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLucas View Post
    So, I've been snooping around here for some time now and thought it was high time I join up and start sharing info. I took my dad out weekend before last. We ended up with 13 kokes for one day. Last weekend I took mom and we limited with 50 fish. I went up this last Friday after work and had my limit by 8pm. Mom and dad joined me Saturday and we left with three more limits. Water temp is 75 degrees and the fish are biting mainly from 10-25ft down. Pretty much any color combo is working although some are much better than others at times. Best place to fish seems to be right in front of curlew launch out to the two shallow water buoys. Get em while you can boys and girls cause I have a feeling the water is gonna warm up fast and they will go deep and stop playing. Good luck and tight lines!
    c
    Thanks UncleLucas! Went up in the morning on the 4th and fished from 8am to 3pm Caught 10 kokes around Lime creek and in between Curlew. Fished orange from 25 to 35ft deep.
    Grey Hewescraft Sportsman 180 with Yamahas and a black top.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4kok View Post
    Hi dustyjohns! Thank you for service.
    My wife and I fished there yesterday with the kokabow spinner and did well. Sure we lost many fish in the morning but in the afternoon when the wind came up then the fish hit little harder. I put couple shoepeg corn on the 2nd hook and 1 piece on the 1st hook and leave the sharp point uncover.
    That's a nice size trout.
    Were you on the 18' Lowes boat?
    That was us yes. I ended up tying a modified hoochie/uv-insert/kokabow with a treble as the trailing hook. That worked pretty well. We ended up fishing 3 days and did well all 3. Did not catch limits but better than none. Headed back up tomorrow I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7407.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	9083Today 19 Kokanee from 6-11 AM. Lead line 15-20 feet deep. Water temps at 73.
    Last edited by CrewDawg; 07-06-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Default Solid Day 7/6

Tons of boats out there around curlew but we ended with 42. As always with Koke fishing we had plenty that got away but still had a decent land %. If it wouldn't have taken so long to get 2 of our rods dialed in I think it could have been an epic day. Multiple 3 and 4 rod hookups which are always fun! Right around 20' or slightly higher with pink and orange worked best for us!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4006.jpg 
Views:	1220 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	9084
    "Green Guppy"- Old boat, Older motor...full fish box (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by dustyjohns View Post
    That was us yes. I ended up tying a modified hoochie/uv-insert/kokabow with a treble as the trailing hook. That worked pretty well. We ended up fishing 3 days and did well all 3. Did not catch limits but better than none. Headed back up tomorrow I think.
    Good luck and I hope you're filling up your cooler with kok. today.
    We were there yesterday, it was hot but fishing was very good. Water temp raising from 72 deg. in the morning up to 76 deg. in the afternoon. I had our luck with orange color and silver flasher. DR from 20 to 30'.
    Last edited by fish4kok; 07-08-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AkAngler View Post
    Tons of boats out there around curlew but we ended with 42. As always with Koke fishing we had plenty that got away but still had a decent land %. If it wouldn't have taken so long to get 2 of our rods dialed in I think it could have been an epic day. Multiple 3 and 4 rod hookups which are always fun! Right around 20' or slightly higher with pink and orange worked best for us!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4006.jpg 
Views:	1220 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	9084
    Those are good size fish. The wife and I were there yesterday too and did well. The orange was good for us, DR from 20 30".
    It's hot day on the lake.
    After loaded the boat and we swam to cool off before drive home.

Default first trip to Anderson in years

Hearing the good reports and knowing that LP hasn't really gotten going yet we decided to make the journey to Anderson Saturday. We finally got fishing at about 8am and never got a sniff for the first hour out it front of the Curlew ramp. I ran a couple DR setups one pink one orange back 45' from the ball and down at 20' and then two long lines with orange and pink and 1/2 ounce of weight 100ft back. Our first fish came an hour in when we moved towards the damn on the s shoreline. A quarter mile stretch between the two small outcroppings was the spot. We discovered that the Anderson fish want your spinner back from the flashers almost double what the LP fish want and then things got fun. We bagged the two long lines as I couldn't figure out the depth and it was plenty busy with two down riggers going off every four or five minutes. Progressively dropped from 20ft to 25ft through noon. Two nice 18's and lost a really big fish at the boat...the rest were 15" to 16". I don't know why but I think last years LP fish sure fought more aggressively than this bunch. One of the big fish fought really hard once it got in the cooler!

Once again just like the fish at LP we are really happy to report that they are not offended by cigar smoke or smell especially when accentuated by a small taste of Buffalo Trace bourbon.

There were a bunch of people out but it was interesting that most everyone was fishing or floating so the few wake boats and buzz bees didn't really bother or affect our enjoyment. Much more relaxing and enjoyable than the madness that goes down at LP on a 100 plus * Saturday. Almost worth the extra drive time.

This morning......Just finished my first FRESH kokanee BBQ samples (grudgingly worked through the zillion frozen ones from last season) and I think from this day forward I will only take home what I can eat and not have to freeze. Incredible!!!!

Living well!!! Good living!!!

Way to go, F-Bomb! I've got to get up there. You're right, freezing does make a bit of a difference. I have discovered that by removing the skin before shrink-wrapping seems to help considerably. So, I have a friend who's been wanting to go up there, but just had hip surgery recently, and without a dock, could have problems. Is it still out? Maybe I will have to head over to the other side (Pine Campground, I believe). I think there is a dock over there. Never been over there. Again, glad you got it figured out. P.S.: Sometimes when people say the morning bite was bad, I think the problem is that we find ourselves below the fish. I certainly have noticed that as the morning goes along, there seems to be more fish sitings on the finder, as they drop.

Default Pine Dock

There is a dock at the Pine Dock (campground). If you are going up during the week there should be plenty of room to park your trailer. It can get full during the weekends, but the extra walk from the parking place isn't that far.

I went out Thursday and only caught 2. How far are y'all trailing your squid from the dodger? I was only trailing it about 12" I'm taking my kids tomorrow and sure would like to get into a few more

Quote Originally Posted by sage68 View Post
    There is a dock at the Pine Dock (campground). If you are going up during the week there should be plenty of room to park your trailer. It can get full during the weekends, but the extra walk from the parking place isn't that far.
    Thanks, Sage!

Fished Anderson Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Only fished a few hours each day. It was tough to find the fish. I caught more chinook than kokes. Caught about a dozen total. Did some bass fishing and caught a couple. I ran 4 lines different depths different colors and fished around curlew and a ways around the corner towards the dam. Saturday evening got into kokes to where we caught one or two every pass in one area, but with all the boats and the dance, it took awhile to get back to the spot.

Default continuing the conversation

...no docks that we saw

It does suck for people with limited mobility to get to play because there aren't docks. I bought my first pontoon boat last year and that solved all of the issues associated to access, comfort and mobility for fishing and relaxing. My Dad is a slow mover so it's worked out exceptionally well plus it is actually the single best trolling fishing boat I've ever owned or been on. (that says a lot since I've owned or fished off of every variety including a quarter million dollar river boat) We don't get to the fishing hole fast but when we do arrive we are comfortable. I wish that I would have figured that out four boats ago! (apparently I had to mature before my brain turned on)

If the dodger and hoochie question was directed at me I can't answer. The hundred thousand dollars worth of dodgers and squids (you must have five of everything) that I have bought never seem to produce as well as my spinner setup. I'm getting pretty much exclusive with a Mack's troll lite paper flasher (silver) and an orange with silver hammered Mack's Wedding Ring spinner. Treble hook with each hook tipped. Shoepeg with tuna fish oil and chunks and then coated with the blue herring juice. I normally start with two of these and then two of a hodge podge of other setups that you either hear or read are hot. So far I always end up settling back into my go to orange spinner setup. Once we get going everything goes to the same. I'm not winning any fishing tournament but it seems like we are always slightly busier than the boats around us once we dial in the depth. I start at ten feet if we see fish on the finder. If we don't see many consistent schools we fish up to five feet on the dr and usually do well. (theory says shallow ones swim away from the boat as you pass so you need to be back much further than at 20ft) Last year we caught a lot of fish between 5ft and 15ft all year long. I've only fished twice this year so far and once was LP and all we could catch was trout that day and the reports were dismal so it wasn't a technique issue.

Default Good trip

Friend and i went up for the week end. No problem catching Kokanee. When water was at 72 about 22' as it went up about 32'. Green kokabow spinner never let up on the catch rate but other stuff does work in gold black blue just not as well. Best with a 9" watermelon dodgers by kokabow. Limited two days in a row between lime creek and fall creek . Hope this helps some one.

Default Very Good Trip- check out the video

Hello Gang, I'm new to Idaho, and this forum, but hoping to contribute to some great info. I hit Anderson Last Tuesday and did very well. I fished from 7:30-1:30 and had my limit of 25 fish. And yes, to anyone still wondering, there is no boat dock in at Curlew. I made a quick video highlighting my trip which shows what I was using as well as a few other tips. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH8DrnuC39g

Default great video

Mountainlife that is a great instructional. It's interesting that this technique essentially mimics (in a miniaturized version) how we catch coho on the coast and fall nooks in Hell's Canyon using divers instead of DR setups. A couple years ago I put a large version green hot lips with the trailing spin and glo and that was the ticket in Hell's Canyon. Now you see a lot more cannon ball weighted setups as opposed to the divers for depth control. I guess things go back and forth...

I've begun gutting/bleeding my Kokanee immediately and then throwing them in the ice. I read somewhere that they go into an almost immediate decomposition process (some cellular breakdown reaction) if you leave them in tact. It might be placebo but I believe that I notice a more firm meat since I started bleeding them. .........................Of course they are always delicious but maybe just a little more so now.

Thanks F-bomb. The diver setup came from when I was a poor college student and couldn't afford downriggers but still loved fishing for Kokes. So I started messing with the Jet diver originally, which worked, but I lost a lot of fish with this setup. I assume the fish could leverage against the always diving jet diver on the retrieve. That's when I started researching a little more and came across the Trip Z divers and Dipsy divers. It's hard to really know the depth with these set ups, and I prefer to use a downrigger, but they work well for poor fishermen! ha ha.

You're right, I probably should have bled my fish before throwing them in the cooler, I just got too excited to get the line back in the water and get the next one, ha ha! Thanks for the input, and thanks for watching!

Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    I've begun gutting/bleeding my Kokanee immediately and then throwing them in the ice. I read somewhere that they go into an almost immediate decomposition process (some cellular breakdown reaction) if you leave them in tact. It might be placebo but I believe that I notice a more firm meat since I started bleeding them. .........................Of course they are always delicious but maybe just a little more so now.
    I like that idea. Thanks for sharing it. I noticed some of my last kokes were very soft by the time I got them cleaned. Not my preferred way to have them.

Default Nice Video

The MOUNTAINLIFE, that's a nice video. This is the 1st time I see how the tripz diver 40 works, it's working very good. I don't know when that was first made.
    Back to mid '80 when I started to fish for kok in Deadwood res. I didn't see any fishermen use the diver, mostly they fish with the leaded line. I used the Jack Lloyds 5 blades (cow bell ~ 48" long) + 1.5 oz sinker + wedding ring and leaded color line. The fishing pole very stiff and perhaps the reel was Penn 209M. I had fun to catch kokanee with that set up, later I replaced the Jack LLoyds with the Ford fender and that was much lighter dragg...

I will go fishing tomorrow at Anderson Ranch. It's will be another hot summer day.

Default How was the fishing

Thanks Fish4Kok. I believe the TripZ diver was originally marketed under the name "walker rundown diver." It seems to be the right size to where I can still use a fairly limber rod, but big enough to dive to 30-50 ft. Let us know how the fishing was today, I'm wanting to head up on Tuesday.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast