Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

It would not surprise me if the fish have generally moved up and are not schooling at the dam. I fished the dam to Big Eddy last week and only caught three until we motored up to Indian. I didn't even try around the dam Sunday and had no problem catching fish from Indian to Canyon.

Yes, I expect the fish to change behaviors. Last time they released water the fish seemed to go much shallower alongside ridges instead of out at the mouth of the creeks. I do not think they are traveling a lot further uplake yet. IMHO the majority are still between Indian and Elk Creeks. That could of changed in the last couple days, but has been the case for me so far. Won't be very long before Dent Bridge gets hot though.
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

Default Latest?

Heading up tomorrow for the day. (Friday) Any news about how far the fish have moved up? Last I heard was Canyon & Indian Creek. Any specific info would be helpful.
    Thanks

Default Great Kokanee Fishing 6/29/17

Barb and I arrived at Bruces Eddy at 5:15AM, launched the boat then headed to Canyon Creek, water was flat, and was glad to see very little debris, beautiful morning with big white clouds. Pulled the boat off plane when we got to Canyon Creek, Rigged three rods for long lining with a string of pop gear on each, terminal lure was various colored squid lures tipped with scented shoe peg corn, 1oz to 3oz banana weight, with 60' setback. Started catching fish right away, most in the 10" range. Fished for several hours with a steady bite, then trolled toward Indian Creek, as the day got hotter the bite slowed, trolled past the mouth of Indian Creek, and along the shoreline toward Merrys Bay with a steady bite. The fish increased in size at Indian Creek, they were around 11"/12", and plump. We pulled the gear in at 11:00AM, it was getting pretty warm, and that was the time we had determined to quit. Ended up with 37 very nice Kokanee. We had clouds blocking the sun most of the morning, and just a slight breeze, what a great day to be on the water. Ken & Barb

My wife Laurie and I dropped in at Bruces at 7, headed up to Indian. Started fishing couple long lines with pop and a couple downriggers with dodgers and squid. Worked Indian for an hour, all over the place, trolled to the other side and then up Canyon. By noon we had 40 plus. Bigger fish around Indian and in the middle of the lake. Best hitting was a Jensen dodger with a green squid. It hit all day. I changed pop all day long, started green and brass, ended up with all sorts of stuff, hammered chrome pop and pink spinner later, early was green pop and green and orange spinner.

I was running 1/2ounce weight and 60 ft long lines. Fish were generally fairly shallow. Best speeds between 1.1 and 1.2 MPH. Downriggers hit all day between 25 and 30 ft.

Nice big fish. Going to smoke them tomorrow.

Rick

Default tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by kenbarb View Post
    Barb and I arrived at Bruces Eddy at 5:15AM, launched the boat then headed to Canyon Creek, water was flat, and was glad to see very little debris, beautiful morning with big white clouds. Pulled the boat off plane when we got to Canyon Creek, Rigged three rods for long lining with a string of pop gear on each, terminal lure was various colored squid lures tipped with scented shoe peg corn, 1oz to 3oz banana weight, with 60' setback. Started catching fish right away, most in the 10" range. Fished for several hours with a steady bite, then trolled toward Indian Creek, as the day got hotter the bite slowed, trolled past the mouth of Indian Creek, and along the shoreline toward Merrys Bay with a steady bite. The fish increased in size at Indian Creek, they were around 11"/12", and plump. We pulled the gear in at 11:00AM, it was getting pretty warm, and that was the time we had determined to quit. Ended up with 37 very nice Kokanee. We had clouds blocking the sun most of the morning, and just a slight breeze, what a great day to be on the water. Ken & Barb
    Thanks for the info. This steaming hot weather may have moved them up but intend on starting, maybe, at Elk Creek & work way back. Can't start that early though since coming from Clarkston :) If you're up there tomorrow I'll be in 19' old Blue Fin w/IO.
    http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/images/smilies/welcome1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    My wife Laurie and I dropped in at Bruces at 7, headed up to Indian. Started fishing couple long lines with pop and a couple downriggers with dodgers and squid. Worked Indian for an hour, all over the place, trolled to the other side and then up Canyon. By noon we had 40 plus. Bigger fish around Indian and in the middle of the lake. Best hitting was a Jensen dodger with a green squid. It hit all day. I changed pop all day long, started green and brass, ended up with all sorts of stuff, hammered chrome pop and pink spinner later, early was green pop and green and orange spinner.

I was running 1/2ounce weight and 60 ft long lines. Fish were generally fairly shallow. Best speeds between 1.1 and 1.2 MPH. Downriggers hit all day between 25 and 30 ft.

Nice big fish. Going to smoke them tomorrow.

Rick
    Thanks for the info.
    19' Blue Fin

Go get em Steve. I would have liked to try Elk. I can see working the mouth area and off the point. Bet it is great. Green was my magic last two trips.

My wife's back is so bad this year that I have to choose a spot and then get there and stick to it. I installed fancy reclining seats this week. She loved them and was able to take a nap while I worked like a deck hand. Worth it. Those big 12-13 inch kokes are brining now and smoking tomorrow!

Enjoy your trip. Let us know how is goes further up.

BTW< no excuses coming from Clarkston. We drive from Grangeville and get there early enuf!

Rick

Default Sat. Fishing Report

arrived Canyon Creek approx. 0630 yesterday (Sat). trolled along the East side to Indian Creek. Caught my limit in 4 1/2 hrs; at 1100 hrs the bit went off and it got hot so I went home with a limit. all the fish were 11 inches and really good shape.
    Wasn't many boats around Canyon and Indian so don't know if they were fishing further up the lake or not.
    Has anyone got a fishing report from the Dent Bridge up?

Fished Saturday the 8th. Started at dent bridge was slow--moved up to the off side of cranberry creek ---slower yet. Gave it 30 minutes each spot. Moved to Reeds creek. ok but still slow. 30 minutes later went to magnus Bay on the upper end of Bay. Great fishing 38 in the boat in 2 hours or so had doubles on multiple times.they were hitting hard only lost a few. Than was to hot so went swimming and ate lunch in a cool cove and caught a few bass and went back to camp.
    Downrigger at 32 feet with anything green or red in a spinner
    Long line out back 1 o/z lead and 60 feet of line out. Hot color was a white spinner.

Wow. Hot at Magnus. That far up. I would not have expected that already.

Thanks

Default fishslayer

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer13 View Post
    Fished Saturday the 8th. Started at dent bridge was slow--moved up to the off side of cranberry creek ---slower yet. Gave it 30 minutes each spot. Moved to Reeds creek. ok but still slow. 30 minutes later went to magnus Bay on the upper end of Bay. Great fishing 38 in the boat in 2 hours or so had doubles on multiple times.they were hitting hard only lost a few. Than was to hot so went swimming and ate lunch in a cool cove and caught a few bass and went back to camp.
    Downrigger at 32 feet with anything green or red in a spinner
    Long line out back 1 o/z lead and 60 feet of line out. Hot color was a white spinner.
    checking to see if you was having any luck using 2 or 3 oz of lead; like 60 ft out.
    I didn't have much luck with 1 oz of lead.
    I am heading up to Magnus Bay on Sat. to give it a try; would like another 25 so I can smoke and canned for this winter.
    later

Didn't try any other lead. The 1 oz worked so stuck with it. Don't forget to try all the other spots on the way up to magnus. On any given day they can be amazing fishing. I just kinda move around until I find fish that like what I do lol ! Kokanee are all over the lake all year long. They just start to congregate this time of year.

Default Friday Fishing Report

thanks for the info
    motored up to Magnus Bay yesterday afternoon; it was one hot mother.
    got my limited in 3 1/2 hrs; the fish was smaller than down at Canyon Creek last week.
    never got a fish on 1 oz and 60 ft; was fishing with 2 1/2 oz of lead.
    did mark several schools and they were all around the 20 ft depth range.
    later

Good deal letsgo ! Glad it was worth your trip.

Default Saturday Canyon Creek

Didnt do too badly, landed 34 between 3 of us. Had thunderstorms, wind and rain along with hot weather. As always a couple of idiot boats buzzing fishermen! Like the lake isnt big enough to stay clear of us!
    Planning on going up on Wednesday.

Default dumb video

Dumb video wife and I made of last trip to dworshak.

https://youtu.be/e-4q-6G1FDg

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer13 View Post
    Dumb video wife and I made of last trip to dworshak.

https://youtu.be/e-4q-6G1FDg
    Great! Looks like ya all were really roughin it. Nice video, thanks for sharing. Heading up tomorrow, see if we can find a fish or two.

Are going for just the day or the weekend ? Im going to try and get down tomorrow night and stay the weekend. Thought maybe would run into you somewhere.

Just for the morning. We are headed now up to Dent. Wish we were camping. The weather is perfect for it. Have fun!

Rick

We did well between Dent Launch and bridge. 4 oz and 60-70'. Near limits each day by noon then quit and stayed cool in the ac camper. Averaged 12" according to the F&G guy that measured them at the launch. I didn't think they were quite that big but he tweaked the tail and gained a bit ;-) A few stretched 13". Nice to be able to fillet and bbq! Looks like good numbers of next years 6-8" fish too. The troller and sonar is up reservoir doing their estimate studies.
    As of yesterday there were still fish at Dent but we had to work for em', but the majority and faster fishing is farther up for sure.

Good deal Icelander. Weather was sure nice for camping.

I put in friday at Dent and tried here and there all the way up to Magnus. Did't drop in until a ways uplake from the bridge though. I only caught one 8 incher at Cranberry, so headed all the way into Magnus. Did good there with big fat fish on the north side. Tried the south side of Magnus and only caught one little fish, wasting the pull all the way across. The mouth of Reed wasn't bad either as we headed back down.

Has everyone noticed that this week almost all the fish are males? I caught two females out of 28 fish. Thought it strange. The females were lots bigger too.

Default Fishing Report

Quote Originally Posted by icelander View Post
    We did well between Dent Launch and bridge. 4 oz and 60-70'. Near limits each day by noon then quit and stayed cool in the ac camper. Averaged 12" according to the F&G guy that measured them at the launch. I didn't think they were quite that big but he tweaked the tail and gained a bit ;-) A few stretched 13". Nice to be able to fillet and bbq! Looks like good numbers of next years 6-8" fish too. The troller and sonar is up reservoir doing their estimate studies.
    As of yesterday there were still fish at Dent but we had to work for em', but the majority and faster fishing is farther up for sure.
    know it is a little late in the day but plan on going to the lake tomorrow for some kokanee fishing.
    any good reports where to start?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    know it is a little late in the day but plan on going to the lake tomorrow for some kokanee fishing.
    any good reports where to start?
    thanks
    Soooo... the last few posts are the place to start. Can't get any fresher than that, nor more detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Soooo... the last few posts are the place to start. Can't get any fresher than that, nor more detailed.
    will go give it a go tomorrow at those locations
    thanks

Default Fishing Report

yesterday (Thursday) fishing report
    put in at Marys bay; motored up to Dent Bridge; fished 1/2 hr caught one, motored up to Ladd Creek; fished 1/2 hr no fish, motored up to Magnus bay; fished 1 hour caught 3, motored up approx 1 1/2 mile above Silver Creek; caught the rest of our limit in 2 1/2 hrs. long ways to go for 50 but was good fishing after we found them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast