Thread: Leeches in UT lakes ?

Default Leeches in UT lakes ?

For the last 4 years Ive fished Otter Creek Res. each summer .Often the rainbows have red sores I assume are from Leeches .
    Are these red sores common on fish in in other UT lakes ? I often use leech patterns successfully . I plan to start fishing other UT lakes next summer .
    Thanks , Dick Roberts

The sores are more than likely from a parasite that I usually call a copepod. They bore into the side of the fish. Catching and eating fish with the sores is not a problem as they are typically just at the skin level.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The term I always heard was 'anchor worm'. Yes they are here in our lakes but have no effect of the meat, just an eye sore. Utah is not the only state with these creatures, studies indicate they are found in many man made lakes as well as ponds and aquariums. I know of a couple of local lakes in our region that has them. At a certain time of the year (I believe its spring) these worms come off of the bottom of the lake and attach themselves to a host.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

There is a nice chart in the middle of this link article that describes various parasites that attach to freshwater fish.

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/parasites
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

These are round red bloody spots on the belly . I also see the bumps under the skin your talking about .
    Thanks for the link .

LEECHES leech Flattened, segmented worms attached to body, gills, fins, or mouth; sucker on both ends. Can be greenish to black; undulating Conspicuous blood-feeder; produce small circular wound that persist though leech may drop off. Up to 1½-inches long. Yes Clean fish and prepare as usual .

Maybe the dept.fish and game will know how common they are .

FYI I just checked google for " leeches in UT lakes ". I guess they are common . This article says up to 24" long .
    interesting read
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6...eech-life.html