Thread: 2017 New boat Mods or addtions.

Default 2017 New boat Mods or addtions.

Hi all , I am curious to see and hear about any and all of the new boat mods and or additions you guys are planning to make for 2017. I am planning to have a new Bow-mount Minn Kota with the I pilot system and possibly adding a second Fish-finder.

1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Dan,
    Since I haven't been able to use my boat this year, I figured it was a good time to strip it down for a makeover. I found a place up in Idaho that makes and paints boats. They did a fantastic job! Better than when I bought it new.

I also decided to update my trolling motor with a new iPilot, 80 lbs/thrust.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Beautiful Job looks great. Roger told me that you were going to get that done.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Dan, just a heads up on something that I'm wrestling with in regards to mounting the new Minn Kota. My bow pass thru door opens such that the motor has to be mounted on the starboard side. This motor is soooo much taller than my previous electric that it may pose a visibility issue for me from the helm. Do you have a choice as to which side of the bow that yours will be mounted on?

Dave my previous Minn-Kota was mounted on the Starboard Edge of the Bow. It may be something that I'll have to watch for.

I also keep toying with the idea of new electronics but the prices have far exceeded the ability of my feeble mind to see the benefit.

​ I think it all depends on how bad you really want it.

2016 yielded another boat for me. I don't really have a need to add a bow mount electric but another need to replace a fish finder that came with boat. I'm not thrilled with lowrance like I once was and the unit that came with boat is the HDS5 gen 1, not impressed with it.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Roger, I'd love to see you put a garmin on the boat. You could be my tester. If I ever do pull the trigger on a new finder it will likely be a garmin.

Im thinking about buying the NEW TERROVA 80 with link to humminbird.

the price of the older ones are coming down
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minn-Kota-Te...UAAOSwXeJYIzWj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINN-KOTA-TE...8AAOSw5cNYUWF0
    Last edited by liketrolling; 12-19-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Default Adding an electric

I purchased a riptide 101 bow mount my boats a guide model 21 ft a little different. I put a removal mount on the bow so I can remove the unit when I need to. It's has open different avenue of fishing for me. I added the foot control. I also added a upfront seat. Its just made my boat so much more versatile. I was at a local lake found a school of perch hit the anchor mode in a slight wind instant anchor. I started to bass fish only with the electric is this possible. There is an added expense with battery,charging unit etc. Fisherman had advised to purchase the 101 Instead of the 80 they advised the extra power would come in handy. I've used elec for longer than three days without recharging,but they are a 36 volt system. I had the room in the bow. Good luck which ever one you choosee.
    Last edited by mrmike; 12-19-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Roger, I'd love to see you put a garmin on the boat. You could be my tester. If I ever do pull the trigger on a new finder it will likely be a garmin.
    Your gonna have to press on with your own purchase & testing Dave. Priorities have me sewn up for a while, especially after an unscheduled funding of a new tractor dug in.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Dave your boat looks awesome.

Santa brought me a Humminbird Onix to replace my old Lawrance. I am realy excited to get it installed and go out and play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nofish View Post
    Dave your boat looks awesome.

Santa brought me a Humminbird Onix to replace my old Lawrance. I am realy excited to get it installed and go out and play with it.
    Thanks. Doing some more little tweaks as I put the interior back together to make it look even a little more awesome.

Give me a call Dave and I will come give you a hand with the installs.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Default Boat mods

New for this year I've added a stereo, and I just ordered a troll master pro 2 throttle control for the kicker motor, it gets old having to run back and throttle the kicker up to get turned into the wind, and added a few things to the tackle box, that I couldn't live without. Now if it will just quit snowing,
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by saltrunner75 View Post
    New for this year I've added a stereo, and I just ordered a troll master pro 2 throttle control for the kicker motor, it gets old having to run back and throttle the kicker up to get turned into the wind, and added a few things to the tackle box, that I couldn't live without. Now if it will just quit snowing,
    Jay, Troll Master is a must, when I was purchasing mine I was caught in a decision between the Pro2 & Pro3. Pro3 is an upgrade for mucho more $$$$'s. After further reading into the Pro2 it can be upgraded at a later time to a Pro3. The Pro2(digital readout) is all I need and if I were to upgrade it would probably be outdated by then. My first Pro2 I bought 10yrs ago (analogue dial) went with my previous boat and its still going strong.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Default Troll master

Thanks bduck, it should be here tomorrow or Friday, hopefully I can get it on and operating, I'm hoping to hit Willard Saturday or Sunday, really need some on the water therapy...
    [SIGPIC]

Default Update on Trollmaster Pro2

I was able to install my TM in about 2 hours, most of the time was spent getting the servo push rod bent and adjusted so it would clear everything and not bind up, I mounted the control near my steering wheel using some Velcro dots, I was able to get it set up to go from idle to pretty much full throttle, was able to use it yesterday, at Willard bay, I really think that it's going to be my favorite accessory on the boat, there was almost no wind, so the momentary full throttle was not necessary, but I really could change speed in 1/10 mph increments that's as low as my gps records, hopefully it will be reliable,I see no reason it shouldn't be, it feels like a quality item. Now I just wish I could have used the new net santa gave me last Christmas, we never had a hit at all, and everyone we talked to had the same results.
    [SIGPIC]

Super D - great looking boat. Outstanding!

I added a Garmin Echo map 93 sv this season.
    9" screen, down view, side view, lakemaps, and chirp.
    The GPS store was discounting them big in December.
    I've used it striper fishing so far. It works well.
    Sonar is excellent, and the chart plotter is superb!
    Super value at $850 delivered.

[QUOTE=saltrunner75;60368]I was able to install my TM in about 2 hours, most of the time was spent getting the servo push rod bent and adjusted so it would clear everything and not bind up, QUOTE]

Another thing to watch for when installing that push rod is to make sure there is no pressure from the servo while in the minimum stowed position. This will extend the life and give you years of use from the servo. I've heard of servos failing after a while due to adjustment errors.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Default Troll master

Thanks for the tip bduck I'm almost sure my servo is adjusted correctly, I have to turn the rotary knob to 30 on the display before the engine RPM starts to increase, and at full speed, 250 on the display, I can move the butterfly by Hand just a tiny bit more, I'm getting probably 95 to 98% of W.O.T. do you carry a spare servo? I'm unsure if I should order one to carry, it's not like if the servo failed I would be done fishing. Thanks again.
    [SIGPIC]

I don't have a spare servo but hopefully I won't run across the problem of it failing. I know of a hobby shop in SLC that carries servos.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    I don't have a spare servo but hopefully I won't run across the problem of it failing. I know of a hobby shop in SLC that carries servos.
    When I installed my troll master I ordered a couple extra servos online and threw them in the parts box on the boat. I'd be happy to share one with you.

Quote Originally Posted by saltrunner75 View Post
    Thanks for the tip bduck I'm almost sure my servo is adjusted correctly, I have to turn the rotary knob to 30 on the display before the engine RPM starts to increase, and at full speed, 250 on the display, I can move the butterfly by Hand just a tiny bit more, I'm getting probably 95 to 98% of W.O.T. do you carry a spare servo? I'm unsure if I should order one to carry, it's not like if the servo failed I would be done fishing. Thanks again.
    it's adjusted correctly if you get both full throttle and idle, the numbers on the display really don't matter.