Thread: Wickiup being drained

Default Wickiup being drained

I' m a little concerned WHY is are reservoir drain to 8 and 10 percent every year. Why? This lake isn't stock it must be putting a termentious strain and shock to this fishery, by the end of July each year.' . I'm far from a biologist this is such a special fishery and resourse.These are just a few question I ask myself? Just venting. What is the dept of fish and wildlife thinking. Curriest what other sportsman think this does to are resources.
    Last edited by mrmike; 11-09-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Fish and wildlife has no control over the water levels in Wickiup. It is first and foremost a reservoir for irrigation water. It was built for the sole purpose of providing water to the farms and ranches in Jefferson county. The fishing has just been a great bonus. If we have another winter like last year the water level should remain higher next summer. Also the effect of the frog lawsuit has yet to be sorted out. That was a big factor in last year's water level not getting back up to full pool over the winter. I think the lower water the last two years has led to the size of the kokanee increasing as it has. Even at 8% there is still plenty of water in the lake for the fish. They just get concentrated a bit more and the big browns and the bass are able to have a their way with the kokes a bit easier. We will see if my theory holds and next year we are seeing 4.5-5# kokes coming out of there.