Thread: Gorge Ling Trip

Default Gorge Ling Trip

Does anyone care to shed some light on the ling down there? I am thinking about making a trip down with the boat to fish one of these nights for them before it freezes. When is the best time of the year to fish for them? I am assuming the upper portion of the lake near firehole is the place to go but does anyone have any specific recommendations on where and how? I have never attempted to catch them in open water just through the ice every once in a while so any help would be great! I'd even be willing to take someone out with me if they care to help. Thanks in advance.

Default Burbot Bash?

I personally have never targeted burbot let alone venture into cold atmosphere of the Gorge during the active months of burbot fishing. I know of a burbot bash contest that has been in the past and there should be plenty of experienced participants to chime in.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Default They weird me out!

Best time late Sept to first half of Oct. We ran up to Firehole and fished the west drop off just up from the boat ramp. I deployed the ipilot and spot anchored just at the 40ft curve with 20 ft just a few feet toward the bank.
    3/4 oz eagle claw glow in the dark lead jig/ 2/0, 4" Yamamoto single tail glow white grubs with chunk of sucker meat on behind the grub not to large to prevent the hook from doing it's Job for good hookup. Best time is just after sundown. We had 116 in the boat in 93 min. The live wells and a 48qt igloo was over flowing. Size from 18 to 34" largest, smallest was 2 lbs and the biggest was 7.25 lbs. we killed all of them as soon as we pulled in to he Boat ramp and the guy that collects them for cat food took them away. I kept 2, 3lb'ers to eat but they taste like crap. Big tip here make sure you take extra battery for the UV flashlight to glow your jig that will turn them on like blood in the water around sharks. Make sure you have plenty Ben Gay for you arms.😳 Tip 2 take a heater it gets cold up there about that time of year. Tip 3 take a long handled large net. The big ones won't fit in a Koke net.😕. Their ugly and feel like a snake, they try coil around your arm. Kill'em all they are destroying the Kokanee fishing by eating the eggs and fry.
    Good luck
    CH
    God does not subtract one minute of life for the hours spent fishing.

Wink

COfisherman thank you very much for the info! Do you think it is too late to do it now? I always thought that it was in November for some reason. Seems like everything is in Late September early October around these parts. On the up side I already have all of the gear that you mentioned. If I am too late I am going to make a point to take a weekend off of hunting next year and go do it, something about 116 fish in 93 minutes just sounds like fun. They are a weird fish for sure but I am more than willing to do my part to keep the population down. I am just not looking forward to the slim in my new boat lol.

The ling I've caught here in Montana have all tasted pretty good. The thicker, loin part of the fillet is the best, and lightly sautéd and served with melted butter reminds me of crab or lobster meat. As the fillet thin out toward the tail I don't think the meat tastes as good or has as good a texture. If you don't have sucker meat to tip your jig, carp meat or smelt has worked for me as well. We typically fish for them in Late December or Early January as they get ready to spawn, but I've caught a couple trolling for kokes when I accidently got into shallow water and my rigs were just off the bottom. Exciting when you feel the weight until they don't fight and you feel them twisting around. A friend of mine had a ball of them come up through his hole while ice fishing at night - a writhing ball of ugly - talk about freaked out!

I have never fished for Burbot in the Gorge, but I know people who slay them on the Gorge until ice up. I have caught them in the Big Sandy and Boysen, they taste great. One key I have found is that you do not want to cut into their guts, they stink! Just cut around they head and grab some pliers and pull the skin off, like you would a catfish, then cut they filets off. I have never bought in to the whole "poor mans lobster' thing. Just treat the filets like you would any white fleshed fish, and they taste pretty darned good.

Any more recent updates on the burbs? I tried twice last year, and only caught a few. Thinking of trying again before ice forms, but a bit reluctant to take the 4 hour drive again if it's likely to be like last couple tries.