Thread: Motor Has a Hard Time Starting!?!

Lightbulb Motor Has a Hard Time Starting!?!

I have a 175 HP Mercury Mariner Black Max outboard. It's carbureted. I've owned this boat since 2002. It has always fired up. This past year it has had a hard time starting when I first put in the water. It will start and die like there is no gas in it a few times before it finally starts. (The gas bulb is always tight.) Once I'm on the lake - whether for a day, or five days it always starts right up!?!
    I've replaced the bulb, and spark plugs with no difference at initial start up. Also, I've been running non ethanol gas this past year. Would a rebuild of the carbureter be the answer? A new fuel filter is next on my list.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Allanspond

i think your right it probably is a carb problem , i would check the choke to make sure it is closing when cold and opening freely mabe hit it with some carb cleaner , you my also want to try some seafoam in the the fuel also. good luck

You can do same thing as most shops do when this is the issue. Remove carb and open it but do not take it apart piece by piece as if you are putting a new kit into it, save your money. Invest in a can of carb cleaner. With a very fine piece of wire, a bread tie will do it, probe around in any small ports to loosen any possible deposits. The carb cleaner will flush out any loose deposits and clean up possible shellacking of fuel that may have been sitting in carb for long periods. I bought another boat early this year and after talking to a couple of boat maintenance shops this is the procedure they do. On my Yamaha T9.9 kicker I found a build up of some wadded crud in carb bowl where fuel has crusted up from sitting to long. After a cleaning the motor started running the way it was supposed to. My main motor which is a Yamaha F150 injected I found some leakage around one of the fuel injectors. I did a thorough cleaning of all 4 injectors and cleaned around sealing area into manifold. Before it had a low RPM or idle miss indicating a black unburned fuel buildup situation at exhaust coming thru prop. That part could only be seen when trailer boat. After maintenance that motor was running as it should without a miss. While no ethanol gas is a big help, a good additive in the gas for additional cleaning also helps and keeps gas from going stale. I use Lucas brand fuel treatment that's good for carburetors and injectors. There are other brands that will treat gas which I'm sure others will post what they like. Post up your results of find.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Default Thanks to both of you!

I have been running a fuel treatment with every tank. I have noticed as you mentioned black unburned fuel in my prop as well. My plans are to rebuild my pump diaphram and take off my carbs and give them a thorough cleaning. http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...es/excited.gif
    I do like to tinker with my boat so I look forward to doing it. I have a month before going south to Powell to get this done.
    Thanks for the input I really appreciate a second and third opinion.
    Regards,
    Allanspond

take my advise and don't mess with the fuel pump .the gaskets tend to get damaged when you disassemble it. just clean your carbs and I think you will be good .

I agree with mntcat1. Fuel pumps are better off replaced if there is an issue. Chances are your carbs are needing a cleanout.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Cool

Thanks Bduck and mtncat1! I'll let you know how it all turns out!

Default Here is the report on what I did.

1. I did a power flush on my carbs. This consisted of one can of seafoam in one gallon of gas. I ran this mixture till the gas was gone.

2.I rebuilt the diaphram on my fuel pump. Starts like a champ now!

When running the seafoam purge I noticed there was water in the bottom of my cowling. As I was on the concrete I knew the water wasn't from a lake:)
    Upon investigation I could see the leak was coming from my poppet valve cover. After taking the cover off I discovered small pebbles in my poppet valve area. These pebbles have been there probably 6 years from a time I hit sand at Deer Creek which at the time ruined a prop and impeller. I guess the reason I'm sharing this is because others may have the same issue and like me not know it. With the poppet valve opened water was always going out the prop exhaust. I've always had water coming out of the weep/pee hole on the back of the motor, but not as strong as it does now since the poppet valve has been replaced and all pebbles removed. I'm attaching photos of the poppet valve as I take off the cover, the middle and final side. Each layer had pebbles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2538[1].jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	8791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2539[1].jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	8792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2540[1].jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	8793  

I'm glad everything worked out for you great job

Glad you were able to get er running correctly. That's a good find of the pebbles. Thanks for sharing, maintaining by preventive maintenance will always insure a day on the lake.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel