Thread: kicker goes too fast

Default kicker goes too fast

I recently got a new boat. Its a 22' jet boat with a 15 hp 4 stroke kicker already on it. This is my first boat that didn't have a troll plate on the main motor. The problem is when I have the kicker turned as slow as it will go, I still troll around 1.75 mph with no wind. I get a breeze behind that big boat and I'm going 2 mph or more. Is there an easy way to make it go slower? Do they make troll plates for that small a motor? Or mabe a different prop? The few trips we have been on have been hit or miss, and I think we are just going too fast.
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

I used to have a 14 ft. Gregor with a 15 horse power and I could get that thing to idle down to under 1 mph. I would see if you can get it to idle down with a carb adjustment first and then change the prop second.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Yeah, I would start with idle adjustment. The speed is a function of prop pitch and rpm, so you either need to slow the rpm's or change the prop pitch. If the idle adjustment won't go low enough, maybe take the prop to a prop shop to get the blades reshaped or replace it with a lower pitch prop. That size prop shouldn't be too pricey. Or....and these work, but are a pita....drift socks to slow ya down a bit.

or if it isn't to choppy, troll in reverse like the walleye fisherman do when they back troll. That big ol transom should create enough resistance to slow you down.

When it comes to trolling and prop pitches, big changes in pitch only translate to tenths of a mile per hour. They certainly make trolling plates for that size motor if all else fails.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Drop a sea anchor that will slow you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed J View Post
    Drop a sea anchor that will slow you down.
    Double vote for the sea anchor.

If you're looking for a plate option and want to minimize snag possibilities, I use a "Lil Fella" on my boat and it's worked great for years. Sometimes up, sometimes half engaged, and at other times with a tailwind all the way down. It fits my 8hp well.
    -Mack
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

thanks for the tips fellas. I'm camping at lucky peak this weekend, so I will play with the idle. I looked at the needle last night, and it looks like I have a lot of room to play with. If all else fails, I got a pm from a member that has a plate he doesn't need anymore for a good deal.

I bought the boat from a dude that had it custom built for running the river, so I don't think it has seen much kok fishing. So hence it runs a bit fast. I do have a giant anchor :)
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'