Thread: Downrigger Weights

Default Downrigger Weights

What type of Downrigger weights do you guys Prefer , Fishstyle , Pancake , or what?
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Mine are all 8 lb. ball weights and they work fine, but if I was to buy new ones I would buy 10 lb. pancake weights.

Quote Originally Posted by AFDan52 View Post
    What type of Downrigger weights do you guys Prefer , Fishstyle , Pancake , or what?
    I've got some of everything and use them dependent on what I'm fishing for or how close to the bottom I will be getting. I've moved more toward pipe weights for deep fishing as I've felt there is less blow back. I'll only use my chrome shark weights when I'm fishing suspended in deep water and have no fear of hanging up.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I use 8 lb weights. I have Penn manual crank so I don't need the extra weight. I also trail Mack's flashlights trolls from my weights. A little added flash to get attention.

I use stick 10lb weights. Got them from bottom line tackle.Com
    Don't see all that much difference in blowback. However they fit perfectly in the rod holders on my Scotties. Got them at a good price with free snubers.

i use 8 lbs fish shaped weights that my friend makes for me they work great suspended and deep with no issuses

Default Weights,

If I'm going to drag bottom (on purpose anyway) I prefer the round weights, sometime I but a few inches of 30 lb mono looped so it's actually 60 lb worth, so it will break and only loose the weight not cables and releases size depends on how deep and how much resistance the lure I'm using has, usually 8 or 10 lb. when I'm not going to the bottom, I use 7 lb torpedo weights, mostly just because I like the looks of them I try to leave the tension adjustments (drag on the downrigger) so i can get stopped before I run out of cable, which I can usually do unless it windy,
    [SIGPIC]

I am using the Bottom Line Tackle 8lb and 12lb stainless weights. Have hung them several times and succeeded in getting them unhung each time (so far). I think the stick shape helps with that. Like others have said, I don't see much difference in blowback.

i have rarely lost weights due to hanging up when it is calm, but if it's windy it is very tough to get them freed up .