Thread: Changing up your gear?

Default Changing up your gear?

Just curious, what do you use as a gage for changing out what you are fishing with? Time, Distance, gut feeling...?
    Lately have been been using distance. When fishing a certain area if i dont get a hit by the time I have made a circle I will change it up. If nothing by the time I've gone around twice I change area's. This sometime seems to long though and the day is gone before I know it.
    Looking forward to reading what others doing.

Jason
    White 1875 Lund Impact & Scotty downriggers

My method:
    Half hour of time in a productive trolling area (fish on the sonar) or 3 to 0 from any of the other setups = a change (or if the other guys are busy and I'm not....I use the binocular and powers of observation method)

There are a bunch of things to do presentation wise in the troll (direction, speed, minor depth changes) that take at least that amount of time to test before giving up on the setup. My key is once you have some action move them all to the that setup and try to do the exact same thing presentation wise and you get lots of action. Then if that quits you for a half hour or so I start the discovery process cycle all over again. I spend a lot more time moving my DR up and down then actually changing the lure. My lure choice plan (color) is made by what I already know (experience) or have heard from the forum or the tackle shop guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JKToons View Post
    Just curious, what do you use as a gage for changing out what you are fishing with? Time, Distance, gut feeling...?
    Lately have been been using distance. When fishing a certain area if i dont get a hit by the time I have made a circle I will change it up. If nothing by the time I've gone around twice I change area's. This sometime seems to long though and the day is gone before I know it.
    Looking forward to reading what others doing.

Jason
    I typically start with a couple colors, depending on the water you're in it varies. I change them out based on 2 things, time, and time at depth.

If I am not getting bites within 15-20minutes, I will raise or lower it, then after another 15-20minutes, if I still don't have anything, I will switch up colors.

I mainly go by what I'm seeing on the fish finder... if I'm dragging something through large schools without a bump it's time to change up after the second pass. When they're spread out I go more with time/distance... usually around 20 minutes. I normally start out with ball trolls on one side of the boat, different color lures and a 5-10' depth separation. On the ball troll side my set back is around 10', on the other side a longer setback of around 40'... then let the fish decide which option they like best. When all else fails I resort to my top secret apex

Thank all! It all sounds good. I guess we all just have days were the fish don't want to play and if you have to change things up time goes to fast to try it all...

Jason
    White 1875 Lund Impact & Scotty downriggers