Thread: Tipping a Guide

Default Tipping a Guide

Me and my son are going out with a guide soon and was wondering when it comes to tipping a the end of the day what's a normal tip amount? 10% 15% 20%...? And what if the day sucks and we don't get any fish still tip as much as a great day? Needing some tips.( haha no pun in tended.) We are the only 2 going out with the capt. No deck hand either. Just us and the Capt. What's the general rule?
    Thanks

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule but I tend to tip about 10-15%. If we don't get any fish I don't tip as much and I don't feel bad about it. If we have a great day and are in the fish all day long they get a bigger tip. I think about it just like tipping at a restaurant if the service is good then they get a bigger tip and if it sucks they don't get as much. Fishing guides provide a service just like waiters/waitresses do. Hope this helps.

PS where are you going and who with?

Don't let catching versus not catching be your compass to tipping. My favorite guide works his ass off far more when the fishing is tough. Evaluate the guide for how hard he works for you, not how many fish you catch.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Good points guys and thanks. Were going to the Gorge with Clark Sabey out of Manila/Lucerne. Hoping to get some good advice/lessons on catching Big Lake trout.