Thread: What does "possession" mean?

Default What does "possession" mean?

I'm in Idaho, and the rules say you may have 3 days bag limit "in posession". So I'm going to Pend Oreille for 8 days with trailer and boat, say I put 4 bag limits in my freezer in the trailer, and get a visit on the 8th day. I guess I would have 4 limits "in possession". Would that mean I get punished?
    It seems wrong since really, you could have 8 bag limits if you lived nearby, but since I travel, I would be limited to 3, if I read this in the most simple way.

Hope someone can clarify!

Possession limits are defined differently by each state. In Alaska, the fish had to be at your residence or "permanently preserved" ie canned or frozen to not count against your possession limit when I lived there. Don't know if the rules have changed or not. I know people were spending the summer catching and canning salmon out of there motorhomes and then selling the fish when they returned home so F & G may have tightened up the regs there. I'm not sure if frozen in an RV freezer counted there, but I'm thinking it didn't. In Montana, possession limits include what's in your freezer at home. Bottom line is do some research and ask F & G some questions if you are not sure.