Thread: What. Downrigger release are you using?

Default What. Downrigger release are you using?

Looking for a different release, currently running the cannon ones that click closed. I hate them you have to hit the sweet spot just right or your line slides out ,or you can't can't get your line out because they are set too tight. I like to load my rods up pretty heavy, looking for a release that will hold but let go when it's time. Thought I would see what other folks are using ?
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

Lots of discussion on this is posted here. For me, it's the Chamberlain release by a long shot over the others.

Chamberlain is well spoken of by those who use them. Chamberlain and others of that design control the rod and terminal end tension separately. Thus giving one total tension control. Need to try them out someday. For now, I'm staying with the scotty mini that I modify with a longer cable so I can use a rod tip to pull them in the boat to set. They are easy and quick to set, inexpensive, and work perfectly for me.

I've tried a few and the very best I've found is the Chamberlain release (http://dev.downriggerrelease.com/). You can load up the rod and have a very light release. I wouldn't load it up too much since kokanee have a soft mouth. I like this release for Kokanee because you can really dial in the release tension. When I ordered my releases a couple years ago I had to indicate if I was using braid or wire on the downrigger. I run two stackers on each downriggers. I always keep my lower presentation about 5 feet above the cannon ball. For what it's worth I also trail a Macks lure flashlight off my lower downrigger to attract more kokanee to my parade.

I used to run the white offshore tackle ones...light tension. Now I'm using the small Scotty releases and I really like them. I run 6 lb downrigger balls and use very light koke rods. I found that when the fish don't release the line from the release, and it have to grab the rod and pop it, I land way more fish. When the fish trips the release , there is slack in the line until the rod bends. When I release the line, I'm able to retrieve that slack line with the reel. All the charter captains on the Great Lakes use the chamberlain releases. I am also too lazy to fool around with settings. !!! I just wanna stick the line in there and let er go

The Chamberlain release is the only way to go.......

Thanks for the reply's everyone, the Chamberlains sound like they be the ticket.

Default Release

i have used a lot of different releases over the years, I now use the chamberlains and will never go back. If I had to go back it would be to the rubber band, they were my next favorite, they don't always break but if you tie two together you can always tell if you had a shaker on.
    [SIGPIC]

I have also battled thru the hardship of using the style of release mention. I used a different release on another boat last year and was very happy with its function. So I ordered a couple for my downriggers. This is an alternative to the Chamberlain for a cheaper price. Blacks allows you to set the clip in all the way so you can adjust that tension sweet spot. I keep offshore and Scotty's as back ups.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Marine-R...rigger+release

I have Chamberlain and don't like them
    The way I fish the big Scottys work best for me It takes some learning how to use them.
    so you may need to spend some money and time and find what works for you
    you did find out one thing the cannon Downrigger release are no good. why they still make them is beyond me.

The yellow off-shore release is the only way to go in my book. It has a small spring that you can move back and forth to adjust but I have been using these for years and have never had to move the spring. The only adjustment you have to make is how far into the clip you put your line based on the size of fish you expect to catch. No other adjustment, no screwdriver, nothing, just a little practice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thH1ATV8EE.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	8608
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    The yellow off-shore release is the only way to go in my book. It has a small spring that you can move back and forth to adjust but I have been using these for years and have never had to move the spring. The only adjustment you have to make is how far into the clip you put your line based on the size of fish you expect to catch. No other adjustment, no screwdriver, nothing, just a little practice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thH1ATV8EE.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	8608

Cool Big Jon's Band Buster

I've tried several types (not the Chamberlin, which seems to be the choice) but I've had really good luck with the Band Buster. Holds well, provides a little more shock absorption for when the silver bullet drills your offering. If it doesn't break from the strike it is very easy to snap the rubber band and then it's GAME ON!!

Decided to try the chamberlains , shipping was incredibly fast! I have fished them for two weekends now , and so far I love them. Simple to use and they have completely solved the issue of false releases. I think I have them fine tuned finally and they work perfectly. Thanks for all the suggestions!

If you get a Chamberlain release for stacking, I recommend that you attach a short line to it. I drilled a small hole where it wouldn't effect the mechanism and threaded some braid with a bead on one end and a duo or coast lock type snap on the other. Clip the snap around the downrigger line and it's free to slide up and down, but won't go to the bottom if you accidently knock it off the downrigger line. It can happen, trust me I know...