Thread: FG Fish finder settings? (humminbird 999)

Default FG Fish finder settings? (humminbird 999)

what settings are you guys have the best luck with when fishing the gorge?

for whatever reason I was having a Heck of a time seeing my DR Balls this weekend and had lots of "cluter" on the screen
    I tried 200kHz, 83kHz, and the 200/83kHz combo for the beam select
    both 800 and 455 kHz image frequency
    max and clear mode along with playing with the sensitivity levels

but just couldnt quite seam to get it dialed in the way i Wanted.

I just purchased a humminbird helix 10 and I have to say I am disappointed with it. I also have a hard time seeing my downrigger balls or my jig when I'm jigging for lake trout. The zoom feature sucks. You cannot zoom the sonar screen by itself. You have to go to another page, and when you zoom over 2 X it looks really blocky. I have tried changing all the settings . I may try changing the angle of the transducer to see the balls better. I miss my Lowrance !!!

83 is best to see the downrigger balls max mode. sometimes if you go to fast are the balls are too small you will not see them. to much swing back.

I like to use a split screen 83 on one side and 200 on the other
    I have another fish-finder I use for a map
    I think the water this time of year has something to do with not seeing fish or your downrigger, so I think you are OK. I have had the same problem.

I think humminbird fishfinders are not as good as Lowrance. Never had this problem with my HDS 7.

I have a 899 and used it for the first time Saturday....I went to factory default then adjusted chart speed to 3....We seen dr balls and marked fish also...I read some where when trolling 3 mph or lower you need to slow chart speed

Quote Originally Posted by liketrolling View Post
    83 is best to see the downrigger balls max mode. sometimes if you go to fast are the balls are too small you will not see them. to much swing back.

I like to use a split screen 83 on one side and 200 on the other
    I have another fish-finder I use for a map
    I think the water this time of year has something to do with not seeing fish or your downrigger, so I think you are OK. I have had the same problem.
    well im happy to know its not just a me problem lol thanks for the info.
    is that an auto setting that you can scroll to & find or more of a "custom" one you set up? Ive never noticed it, just the split/zoomed one (unless thats the same as you mentioned above?)

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I have a 899 and used it for the first time Saturday....I went to factory default then adjusted chart speed to 3....We seen dr balls and marked fish also...I read some where when trolling 3 mph or lower you need to slow chart speed
    Hmm, ive never thought about that, I believe factory is 5? so ill have to try slowing it down to see what it does for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlaker View Post
    I think humminbird fishfinders are not as good as Lowrance. Never had this problem with my HDS 7.
    I have a onix and I love it. I can see the down rigger balls drag the bottom
    I don't jig but when we have, if 3 jigs or down, there is so many marks you can not see what is going on. with just one jig down you can see the fish come to the lure.
    there is a lot of good finders out there.

I adjusted chart speed to the speed I'm trolling 2 or 3 works good for me if you jig you need to set it up to 10 that way it gets rid of the lines faster.

and high zoom does not work that good for me the best way is to set the range so you don't see the top 60' of water if going after lake trout on the bottom. use 200khz you are still seeing a cone angle of 30' in 100' deep water. and you still need to play with the sensitivity levels and I like Max mode. in deep water

If the transducer is not level it will not read right.

these guys have soom good videos I have watched all of them
    put they don't fish deep water like we do.

https://www.youtube.com/user/imonbass?feature=mhee
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jasonhalfenoutdoors/videos

I,m only right half the time.
    Last edited by liketrolling; 05-16-2016 at 10:41 PM.

yes factory setting is 5......but i barely seen
    the balls...when i went down to 3 it was great..