Thread: Thoughts and opinions....

Default Thoughts and opinions....

of dodger color matching that of hoochie/apex /bug /etc. color.
    Other than helping my ocd, not sure if it really makes a lot of difference. What do you guys think?

Just for the record I don't, why the dodger give action to your hoochie or what ever. I firmly believe sometimes the kok thinks it's another kok (dodgers) I've been having great success with silver,not chrome,silver. On overcast days,I change over and may even go to copper. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mrmike; 05-09-2016 at 11:58 PM.

The dodger serves one and sometimes two functions. One through vibration and sight it draws fish close enough to see your lure. Second, on small lures and hoochies it provides action to the lure. Matching dodger and lure color is good sometimes, bad sometimes. On my favorite lake gold dodgers are by far the most effective, but the fish hit on colors. On the other hand, sometimes a small gold blade on the lure along with a gold dodger is a killer. Bottom line, it's a trial and error thing along with talking with and watching what the other guys are doing. Binoculars are a very important tool on any boat...
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

When I fish the gorge before daylight I catch a ton of fish on dark, non visible dodgers. Of the 2 functions that David mentioned, sound & vibration means a lot. I also subscribe to mrmike's theory that silver & (brass, copper or gold) is about as complicated as it really needs to be.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I disagree it seems to me that trout and kokanee really key in on specific colors far beyond simple silver ,gold, and copper dodgers . pink is my go to color but purple .orange. and greens work well also it pays to have options .

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    The dodger serves one and sometimes two functions. One through vibration and sight it draws fish close enough to see your lure. Second, on small lures and hoochies it provides action to the lure. Matching dodger and lure color is good sometimes, bad sometimes. On my favorite lake gold dodgers are by far the most effective, but the fish hit on colors. On the other hand, sometimes a small gold blade on the lure along with a gold dodger is a killer. Bottom line, it's a trial and error thing along with talking with and watching what the other guys are doing. Binoculars are a very important tool on any boat...
    I gave my wife a good set of binoculars for Christmas, she is the spy on our boat.
    I like silver dodgers and pink squids. if two of us are in the boat I start out with 4 different set up. 6 if 3 are in the boat.
    I have a system on my set ups. you need to get the downriggers down where the fish are. I will have one downrigger ball down where the temp. is 52 or 54 deg.
    If you see fish on the finder and you are not getting hit you need to change, sometimes changing how long the leader between dodger and lure works.
    If I live to be a 100 I will not be able to use all the stuff I have made or bought.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    I disagree it seems to me that trout and kokanee really key in on specific colors far beyond simple silver ,gold, and copper dodgers . pink is my go to color but purple .orange. and greens work well also it pays to have options .
    That's why we all have a 100 different colors and patterns in our bag, even if we tend to use the same ones more times than not.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk