Thread: FG Gear Question

Default FG Gear Question

We're head to FG in about six weeks, staying at Buckboard Crossing CG of eight days, first timers for FG. I run Lamiglass seven footers with Shimano 200's off my DR's. I almost always run Sep's 4-0 flashers to a small Apex or Kokanee Killer, seems pink and orange are the colors of choice right now. I've been running about 16" leader from the end of the flasher to the lure, my buddy says to run 10" to the lure. We do OK around home, but not great, any advise will be greatly appreciated! RAY
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

I think the leader to lure length behind a dodger depends on what you are running. The general rule of thumb is 2 - 2.5X the length of the dodger for something that doesn't have it's own action like a hoochie or bug, but for something like an apex, a wee tad or even a spinner, you can go pretty long. Most of my fish the other night were on a fire tiger apex 3.5 feet behind my dodger. Try different lengths until the fish tell you what they want that day.

9" - 10" leader is a great bet for hoochies and spinners. Lures like an Apex are a totally different story. 18" - 30" is more typical for a very erratic lure.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks to both of you! I'll make immediate adjustment when we head out to Pardee tomorrow to blow the dust off, boats been in the garage for six months. RAY

I would buy some silver or silver pink or pink. 5.5 Sling Blade Dodgers use a pink or orange squid if you use a orange squid you will need a orange or silver dodger. with a leader of 8" between dodgers and squid. Put a bend in it, I know one place that sells them with a bend.
    a good speed is 1.7 mph but keep changing to see what works.
    I don't use corn I use pink Gulp Maggots
    If you watch this board you may see some one say how deep they are running the down riggers
    you can stack your downriggers and use different setups then change when you see what is working.
    I have a system for how much line I let out before I hook the line to the down rigger ball.

Look for boats and ask you may get some help.

you will need a quagga mussle stamp for your boat. $30
    Make sure your boat will pass are they will not let you put it on the water
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elso/elsoaiswelcome.aspx

We, fished the gorge last week. Anything pink was working, with any small dodger. caught fish from 15 ft. down to 35 and 40. Water temp around mac island was 50 degrees, further south it varied from 48 to 42 degrees.
    wishin I was fishin

Pro Staff: Rocky Mountain Tackle

We'll be headed up to Oregon in a couple weeks to fish/camp Lake of the Woods for a week, always have to stop on the first trip of the year and pass inspection, no problem. I keep the boat garaged and it's never been to the Delta, nothing there I really like to fish for anyway. I imagine I'll see a sign for the boat inspection somewhere near the border of the state tho they'd most likely have someone hanging around a major marina like Buckboard.

If you cross the stateline from Utah into WY there's a boat inspection station just east of Evanston, WY.!! It is marked.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    If you cross the stateline from Utah into WY there's a boat inspection station just east of Evanston, WY.!! It is marked.
    Judy, its at the Port of Entry as you cross the state line. I usually go thru there in the wee hours of the am when its not manned.

Hey Liketrolling, could you give details on how to put a bend in a sling blade. I'm afraid if I tried on my own I'd just break it.

Quote Originally Posted by viking601 View Post
    Hey Liketrolling, could you give details on how to put a bend in a sling blade. I'm afraid if I tried on my own I'd just break it.
    It doesn't take much, just don't force it. I just grab the ends and put a slight pressure like a macaroni noodle. Again, it doesn't take much pressure to get a little extra action out of the dodger.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    It doesn't take much, just don't force it. I just grab the ends and put a slight pressure like a macaroni noodle. Again, it doesn't take much pressure to get a little extra action out of the dodger.
    What SuperD said, I like to roll it overmy knee, just a slight bend nothing to major

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    Judy, its at the Port of Entry as you cross the state line. I usually go thru there in the wee hours of the am when its not manned.
    The few times we stopped there it was manned, and really fast, easy process!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    you can see where I have the bend the top set up was my best setup last time I was at FG, all of them worked