Thread: Kokanee Glass Rods and suitability for other species

Default Kokanee Glass Rods and suitability for other species

I'm looking at some point at getting some Fiberglass Kokanee rods to work with my down riggers. I'm partial to some of the Lamiglass offerings like their Classic Glass Kokanee and the Jared Johnson versions which look like nice sticks (used to have a pair of their classic glass salmon down rigger rods). I'm a big fan of glass rods for their durability and ability to take abuse on top of the flex which is beautiful for working with the down riggers. Anyways, for those that own this class of rods - you know, something with say a 4-10 pound line rating, I'm curious of your opinion on how well these rods might transfer over to other species? Up here in BC, some Kokanee lakes have Lakers (Lake Trout) in them. Most lakers are in the 4-7 pound range with the odd one being bigger, depending on lake (some can be really big, but that is rare, again depending on lake). Would these types of Kokanee specific rods in your opinion have the jam to tackle changing species or would something a bit bigger be more appropriate? (never wiggled one, only read some opinions on them on this and other similar forums). I'm sure some of you have hooked and possibly landed other possibly larger species - how did they handle? Thanks...Scott

Go check out

Www.fishvelocity.com

This is JAred and Robs new company with the same technology and quality that you will enjoy and will be easy on your wallet. Glass, graphite, and 50/50 mix. Kokanee, trout and off shore salmon rods to suit each need. I'm confident yo will be 100 % satisfied.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    Go check out

Www.fishvelocity.com

This is JAred and Robs new company with the same technology and quality that you will enjoy and will be easy on your wallet. Glass, graphite, and 50/50 mix. Kokanee, trout and off shore salmon rods to suit each need. I'm confident yo will be 100 % satisfied.
    +1
    Speyfitter, I think that the Velocity blue glass rods will do everything that you've described. The green rods have a little more backbone IMO but I like rods that have maximum flex.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have a Vance's Tackle spiral wrapped rod that I like a lot. It load up nice on the downrigger and is soft enough for kokes, but I have caught river rainbows up to about 6 pounds with it and feel like it could take on something even a little bigger. I use it as a crank bait trolling rod as well.

I use two lamiglas GGR 762L rods on my downriggers with good success and great catch rate.
    Having said that, my Velocity RLC792L is just as good and a little cheaper.
    Highly recommend either one and couldn't be happier.
    I've caught lots of Kokanee as well as rainbows up to 5 pounds on both.

i have use both the jj lamiglass and the blue velocity rods on kokes, lake trout , wiper ,walleye you name it no problems what so ever.

I caught a 15 to 20 lb. springer last year on a lamiglass CG 70DR and have caught numerous Dolly Varden and trout up to 6 lbs. without ANY issues, 15 lb. braid and an 8 lb. leader. Bob R