Thread: Why shoepeg corn

Default Why shoepeg corn

I am new to Kokanee fishing and am wondering why.

I have heard shoepeg corn is what to use when fishing for Kokanee.

My question is why is that the only corn mentioned for bait. I at first thought it was for the smell it put out but then everyone mentioned soaking it in tuna oil, then I thought it must be the color but people use pro cure of one type or other along with changing the color to red or chartreuse etc.

The only conclusion I have come up with is at one time someone had a real good day fishing, when leaving he just grabbed what he had on hand for bait which happened to be shoepeg corn instead of yellow or white corn. after seeing him with a mess of fish someone asked him what he was using for bait and a old wives tale was born ..

I would like to hear if anyone has a different theory because shopeg corn out of the can soaked in tuna oil and or procure would not be much different than yellow corn died and soaked.

Ps dont flame me to much like I said I'm new to this.

Ed

I'm no expert but I find that shoepeg corn seems to stay on the hook more , I'm not sure if it's the tapered shape or that the skin is thicker or tougher. Regular corn will work. Bob R

Shoepeg is one of the sweetest corns out there. Even with adding procure, shoepeg will release a scent. Just to put this in prospective though, I used small pieces of colored sponges in the early days at Flaming Gorge before maggots made the scene. I also believe the shoepeg corn is a very small kernel, so I think size and smell play a big part in its success.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

here is something you can try, Berkley Pink Gulp Maggots They work good at Flaming Gorge

Quote Originally Posted by liketrolling View Post
    here is something you can try, Berkley Pink Gulp Maggots They work good at Flaming Gorge
    i second what liketrolling recomended