Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 SPRING BEAR LAKE BRATS GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
    Wyo307. We definitely do not go to Bear Lake in the spring for Mack's. It's about the cutt's. If you get their on Friday, I will give you a number to hook up with and we will help you with where and how.
    I was going to say that these gatherings aren't really about the fish at all.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks for the replys guys. I may end up coming down depending on the weather and what the wife wants to do. If I do come down what type of gear are you guys using to catch the cuts? Just need to make sure that the right stuff is in the boat. I am heading to the Gorge on Saturday so depending on how that goes I may be there next weekend as well instead of coming down to Bear Lake. I looked on my lakemaster chip last night and it looks like there are 4 humps/rock piles in the lake is that where most people concentrate? Sorry for kind of side tracking the thread. I definetely wouldn't mind meeting some of you guys and maybe having a beer or four

Spring time is about the cutts as gonefishing stated. Note the regulation on what you can keep when it comes to cutts. Lake trout is also another catch with 12-15lbs commonly caught. Mountain white, cisco, yea even carp. Bear L is a good location for those of us that travel not only as a drive for a day but a gathering for some to meet up, from Ogden its 2hrs, same with some from Idaho or even more. Some will find the time to spend a couple of days extending their stay. We do this twice a year, spring & fall. In the fall its little harder for those to meet with the hunting season but it goes on still for those of us that have hung up our guns. These times of the year have no pressure on the lake with small exception of limited few fishermen. These pics are of cutts, the first one is a nice fatty I caught last December weighing at 10lbs. Next is Dallas who was with me with a catch. Note the color of the water in next pic with the cutt having same color variation. Last is Dan thinking about lunch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear L 2 12-19-2015.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	758.2 KB 
ID:	8467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC190001.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	573.7 KB 
ID:	8468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9130006.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	592.8 KB 
ID:	8465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9260009.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	613.2 KB 
ID:	8466  

Those are some nice cuts! I will have to check with the wife and see if she would want to come down. I have caught more 10-15lb lakers than I can count so that doesn't really excite me very much but I have never caught a cut over 7 pounds. I don't have down riggers on my boat at the moment would that be an issue? I can always use dipsys to get down a ways but how deep are they hanging typically? That frog colored flat fish has been a good lure for years up here where I live. Kind of made my laugh that that is what you caught that fish on. I have one whole box full of just those.

There are lots of options that'll get fish at BL beside downriggers, especially this time of year when the water is cold top to bottom and the sculpin should be in shallow to spawn. I'm thinking of coming and fly fishing with streamers early and them maybe do some jigging or long lining. Pic is of grandson lost December from shore. He outfishes me as well from there as from a boat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00003_2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	358.4 KB 
ID:	8470
    Last edited by smokepoles; 03-31-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Ice off occurred near 2wks ago now. Storms have hampered my travels lately over the mountain to get into Bear L from my end for some pre-fishing prior to gathering. Weather is starting to shape up now but still pending. The frog pattern is a fall favorite but will also work this time of year. There are other colors & patterns that work too this time of year. The water is still cold and you shouldn't have to go very deep. The dipsy diver should do the job for you. There are a few of us that will be more than happy to get you in the right areas. We start gathering for the potluck at Garden City state park about 3pm same place we launch from. By 2pm I'll be coming off the lake securing my boat for travel and getting setup for some chow at the north end of park at the pavilion located near some restrooms.

Thank you everyone for the help I will try to convince my wife to go or at least let me go by myself. I am itching to use the new boat anyways so this is as good of an excuse as any. Has anyone ever targeted the sculpin to use for bait? We have brook stickleback in our streams that we routinely get to use as bait for lakers and they are similar to the bear lake sculpin. Just curious. Also are there any special regulations for bear lake that I should know about before I head down there?

Utah requires you to fill out AIS questionnaire at the launch site daily or you can take their on line test that's good for a year, one copy goes on the dash of your launch vehicle & a copy in your boat. There is no fee involved for this. I know its seems like a pain but no more for me doing for other states, especially going thru an inspection crossing borders. Utah DNR personnel may approach you at launch site to follow up with questions to determine if inspection needs to be done or they may not but they do check if AIS is displayed or will cite if not. Idaho requires a decal($$$) like Wyoming on boats. Most who fish Bear L stay on the Utah side. A non-resident license or 3 or 7day permit is required which you can use on Idaho side & visa versa. Native cutthroats must be released. Cutts with clipped fins are keepers with limit of 2. If you have a vhf radio we will be on ch69.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/...ishing_low.pdf
    Pg 8 Fishing licenses
    Pg 24 Fishing specific waters

no live bait use in utah sorry

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    There are lots of options that'll get fish at BL beside downriggers, especially this time of year when the water is cold top to bottom and the sculpin should be in shallow to spawn. I'm thinking of coming and fly fishing with streamers early and them maybe do some jigging or long lining. Pic is of grandson lost December from shore. He outfishes me as well from there as from a boat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00003_2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	358.4 KB 
ID:	8470
    that's one happy kid smoke thanks for sharing

Reports are coming in from the Bear, the cutts are playing. One report indicates other boaters getting their catches. AFDan is on the water this week and awaiting his reports.

Heard from AFDan today. High winds of 20-30mph hampered his day of getting on the water. He also informed me of all docks & slips have been removed with new replacements awaiting install. However, courtesy launch docks still in place. On the east side first point not launch able yet. Courtesy dock is in at Rainbow with some damage to dock from winter. No other courtesy docks have been placed in at other launch sites. Saturday is still a go. See you at Bear.

Well , today has to be one of my best days on Bear Lake . Pam and I got on the water around 12:00 pm , we launched on the East Side. I went to Rainbow Cove , but the dock had been pulled from the water. I talked to a DWR officer and he told me that he had pulled it out of the water to repair it and as of now it is back in the water . But we ended up launching at the South End of Cisco Beach, not a great choice but doable. We fished in 60 feet of water at 1.5 - 1.8 mph , we caught 6 fish all Cutthroats ranging from 2lbs to 5 lbs. and all were released to fight another day. The weather couldn't have been more perfect for a great day fishing with just a hint of wind. Also met up with Gonefishing and Saltrunner this afternoon , looking forward to Saturday.
    Last edited by AFDan52; 04-07-2016 at 12:11 AM.

I'm on the way up should be their about 4:30 tonight. Hope I don't get lost. it will be my first time at BL.
    look for a tracker boat and a red GMC Truck
    I'm coming alone I ask 3 guys to go but all backed out
    I think I will sleep in my Truck.
    If some one wants to fish in my boat they can
    Robert

liketrolling, we have tow rigs parked at the Marina both 5th wheels. They are Gonefishing and Saltrunner, you will see their rigs as you pull into the marina.

And stragglers will be coming thru the gate at 0 dark 30 tomorrow. Nice little gathering coming together.

Had a great time at the BRATS gathering, you all are great! Even if the catching was bad, any time spent fishing is always one of life's pleasure's fantastic group of people to be associated with, thanks for all the pointers, see you in the fall if not before, Thanks again!!!

As always I had a good time. It was great meeting newcomers in our gathering and hope to see more of you even on a regular outing. Bear L fishing was at its finest, it's either on or lockjaw. That's why some of us keep going back for the challenge in which our discussions show us a challenge. No matter the outcome it was fun even if I had to redeem myself. Let the bashing begin.

Pam and I have been here since last Saturday , and our best day fishing was Wednesday afternoon. The Brats gathering was a success as usual, we had some new comers this time and I think they all had a good time as well. Bear lake is always unpredictable and I think that is what makes the challenge so tempting , it's either Game on or not. Anyway it's been a good week for us and we got to spend some time with our friends . Thanks to everyone that participated and e are looking forward to next Gathering , maybe a Kokanee Gathering? Also Roger, lets just chalk up your little problem today to having a " SENIOR MOMENT " . It's all good buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by AFDan52 View Post
    Pam and I have been here since last Saturday , and our best day fishing was Wednesday afternoon. The Brats gathering was a success as usual, we had some new comers this time and I think they all had a good time as well. Bear lake is always unpredictable and I think that is what makes the challenge so tempting , it's either Game on or not. Anyway it's been a good week for us and we got to spend some time with our friends . Thanks to everyone that participated and e are looking forward to next Gathering , maybe a Kokanee Gathering? Also Roger, lets just chalk up your little problem today to having a " SENIOR MOMENT " . It's all good buddy.
    Great Food for a Senior Moment. I had a lot of fun. The drive up is out of this world.

What is this?

Was great to see everyone up there today.
    I just know stuff...

Sorry I missed it this time. I got the downrigger mounts on the new boat today with some small issues that worked out in the end.

Roger, you've sure done your share of bashing those times I've been up there trying with futility to mimic your success.

That said, son and I fished Willard yesterday evening for 17 wiper, and tonight in the wind got 11 with the grandson along (he, of course got the most and was very,very happy).
    Last edited by smokepoles; 04-10-2016 at 12:38 AM.

Glad to see that you have a new boat smokepoles. You will be able to take the BL challenge with us soon I hope, this fall. Nice to meet the new folks who came up and joined us and I am looking forward to the fall trip as we always do much better then. The weather was great, food awesome and time on the water was nice as we all can remembers some of the more challenging trips across those waters. As for catches, this was not one of the better trips for that, but a couple fish will bring me back again. My hats off to you all as being a great group to fish with. At least we scared the fish into the deeper waters.

Another round of Brats. Cooked up the ones left behind and fed the neighbors. Thank god for BEER!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	8503  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12