Thread: 2016 Green Peter Reports

Default 2016 Green Peter Reports

Bigger fish this year?
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Went Sunday 1/31/16. Water was 42-45 at surface, all were sub 8" and skinny. The herring in Newport are much bigger/fatter. Freeze a dozen on a styrofoam tray and it would make good bait.

Rich that guy looks sad. Sorry DLM maybe next year.

The KPO is now collecting catch records for all the lakes in Oregon. To help us out please go to the Kokaneepoweroregon.com website and under fishing reports fill out the catch record form each time you go out fishing. We can then share this data with the ODFW to show them what is being caught at the area lakes. The KPO will be working with the ODFW this year to stock Detroit Lake with larger sized kokanee in hopes that they will not be just food for the trout and chinook in the lake.

Thanks for the help improving our fishery.
    Last edited by Jurassic Cowboy; 02-20-2016 at 03:43 PM.

I know that this is suppose to be only a Kokanee forum but I am wondering if you go to Newport and jig for herring and when? In your report you mentioned herring in Newport got me thinking about the time's I went with a very good friend that is no longer with us couldn't remember what time of year it was Thanks

Jigged off the first bridge Tuesday for 2 hours. Caught 20, all were 6 to 7 inches max. Air temp was 38. Water was surprisingly green. Probably wont take the boat up unless larger fish are reported, or kpo derby if my gf wants to go.

I went to the Central Oregon Sportsman show in Redmond a couple of weekends ago and sat in on 2 of the kokanee fishing seminars presented by Jeremy Jahn, the Kokanee Kid. In one of the seminars, he gave a run down of the kokanee lakes he would not fish this year due to the small size of kokanee. At the moment, I can only remember Green Peter making the list (naturally that's the lake closest to me), but there were a few others .... maybe Timothy. I remember Wickiup and Odell did not make the list, if that helps anyone.

Thanks you,probably Cresent was on the list.

Was hoping this fishery would see a turn around due to the pool being so low all year last year, sounds like that's not the case... Maybe introducing some predators into the mix would help? Would love to see GPR come around to be fishable, its so close and so beautiful!

I think it all ready has a predator fish salmon

Not in enough numbers to make an impact.

Fished Green Peter yesterday from about 6:30 to 9:30 am and my bud and I caught 18 nice, but small, kokanees from 8 to 9 inches and lost about as many. We were using wedding rings with corn...fluorescent orange and fluorscent green wedding rings with corn on a small dodger. Both seemed about as effective. At 35 to 40 feet deep. slow troll.

Am going back up there tomorrow for more...

Made another trip to Green Peter this morning. Unlike the other morning which was cloudy and no sun, today it was severe clear from sunup with not a cloud in the sky. Launched and started fishing at 6:45 and had eight in the boat by 9am...except only 7 were kokes, the other a rainbow trout. All were 8 to 9" long. Water level is down at least 50 feet from full pool but quality appears good. 72F on the surface. Kokanee were 35 to 55 feet deep...lots of 'em on the fishfinder.
    Last edited by JLPerry; 07-28-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Default More GP

Went back up to GP today with my 4.5 year old grandson. We launched at 9:15 am and had 7 fish in the boat by 10:30, from 8 to 9.5" long. Nice, fat kokanees. Sunny with no clouds and no wind. Would have kept fishing but grandson was getting hot and wanted to go swimming...which he did at the launch after we put the boat on the trailer. I like Green Peter...

Quote Originally Posted by JLPerry View Post
    Went back up to GP today with my 4.5 year old grandson. We launched at 9:15 am and had 7 fish in the boat by 10:30, from 8 to 9.5" long. Nice, fat kokanees. Sunny with no clouds and no wind. Would have kept fishing but grandson was getting hot and wanted to go swimming...which he did at the launch after we put the boat on the trailer. I like Green Peter...

It's good to hear they are getting some weight on them. This has not been the case the last few years, stayed small and skinny. Now they just have to put on some length and we may get back to the 15-16 range.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Went back up to GP yesterday with my 4.75 year old grandson...launched at 9:15am and had five in the boat by 10:15. We fished wedding rings behind dodgers and gang trolls...w/corn...the dodger/wedding ring being most productive. 50 feet deep. Caught another on the gang troll at 47' when we brought the poor thing in after an hour+...never knew it was attached...it was dead. So, we ended up with 6 kokanees, three females, three males. One of the females had lost all its silvery scales and was darker than the others...and was noticeably darker and plumper...and had fully developed eggs...looked ready to spawn. The others still had the silvery coloration. All of 'em tasted great! The kid got antsy and wanted to "go fast" so we did so....then went home.