Thread: Plans for next year

Default Plans for next year

Our dream is to make it to FG next year in our 16' Alumaweld Talon and spend a week fishing for kokes out of Buckboard. I'm wondering what is a good time of year when I won't be constantly fighting a battle against the strong winds I keep reading about. I'm wondering if mid-May might be a good time before things get more crowded after school gets out. Also hoping I've got enough boat! 60hp Yamaha, 6hp kicker, 2 Canon Mag 10 electric DR's, dual batteries, marine radio, lots of life jackets, and I plan on wearing one at all times there. Any input will be greatly appreciated. RAY
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Check the solunar charts for next year. I would recommend late June or early July. May and early June can have very unsettled weather with some thunder storms thrown in for even more excitement.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Avoid July 4th & 24th weeks. The 24th is Pioneer Days. Wind is always a factor and unavoidable. Just use extreme caution when your out on the water.

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I/m pretty sure I've got enough boat to fish FG as long as I don't get stupid, always best to fish early before the winds increase. Now I think I just might go with mid-August, a few posts I read say there's a lot less crowd and still some nice fishing. Right now I'm working on salmon in the Sacramento River, the ramp is ten minutes from my driveway. See you next year, thanks again. RAY

Ray, you will find some fish of size in August but all the mature fish will have some color and scale absorption by then. But since you are river salmon fishing, maybe that isn't a big deterrent.

Hmmm, I guess we'll just have to toss around when to go. Being retired, if I go early I can always go back if we feel like it. I fish the Sacto between Clarksburg and Walnut Grove, the fish coming thru that stretch are most often in chrome bright condition, the meats good on a dinner plate or in my smoker. Up until I sold my 22' Proline four years back all my salmon fishing was done in the ocean, I grew up a twenty minute drive from half Moon Bay. A long time ago two friends and I took a guided salmon trip out of Red Bluff and caught limits of Alaskan sled dog food, that was enough for me. RAY

There is a large group from Sac that goes in the time frame I mentioned. It offers a big help if you are a first timer.

Thanks SuperD, I'll try to work that out, it may actually be perfect at the time you recommend. I've got a good friend we're going to the Oregon coast with in early September and he's expressed a interest in fishing FG. He stays a month every year at Salmon Harbor in Winchester Bay for crab and salmon, 35' RV and a 18' North River. We're camped right next to him for a week, I'll take my boat up the Umpqua to troll for salmon right out of the harbor. I'll see what he's got cooking in late June. It seemed last year when I first came upon and joined this site there was a bit of animosity being shown towards the July 4th California crowd, I don't want to be there on a holiday weekend anyway. Seems the CG right next to the marina has about 65 sites, there should be something available when it's booking time. Thanks for all your help and advice SuperD, I like your setup, very similar. RAY

Not sure yet about if we're going to go this year, if we do we will go back to Lucerne. May go back to Chelan instead.

We're booked at Buckboard Crossing CG June 18-26, looking forward to the adventure. RAY

You are gonna be amazed at the fish...Good luck and be sure and brag a bunch when you do it!!

Tortuga and I are booked at Lucerne July 4-12. Hoping to talk to many new and "old" friends either in person or on the radio.

Plenty of boat for most days, keep your eyes to the west in the afternoon, if you see the clouds starting to pile up it's time to head in. It's not uncommon for me to take water over the alaskan hardtop on my Trophy when the wind comes up! Have Fun!
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Tortuga and I are booked at Lucerne July 4-12. Hoping to talk to many new and "old" friends either in person or on the radio.
    Judy, looking fwd to seeing you & Ben. Hoping for a great year out on the water.

I am in for a few days after the 4 th of July. I will show up for 3-4 days at Lucerne and then head over to Buckboard for another 4-5 days, or whatever. Retirement has made my fishing plans very flexible.

I will probably still be unpacking boxes during that period but might stick my thumb for a ride with some of you for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I will probably still be unpacking boxes during that period but might stick my thumb for a ride with some of you for a day or two.
    Might be able to support you Dave. I need some quality time on the Gorge this year which this balance has been lacking for 3yrs now.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    If you make it to the gorge with out a boat let me know and we can use mine.

Give me a call Dave, Will go up. Even locally
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

We still have over 4 months and I'm already getting ready with trailer and rv stuff...something to keep me busy til we can go. One more year and my plans get really flexible. My last day working is June 3rd 2017...course I'm off all summer. We school teachers sure have it rough!