Thread: One more trip!

Default One more trip!

Planning a trip to Nantahala this weekend. Alex and me are hoping to get Will into some nice kokes, he did great with his first koke on our last trip,a 15"er. Aiming for some bigger ones this time.Also just finishing a 7'10" kokanee rod,can't wait to give it a workout. Ron I'll let you know for sure when we'll be out.

We had a fair day 4 kokes and a rainbow. My Grandson Will did the cranking in and did awesome on a 19.5" rainbow that fought like crazy.The kokes were around 10"-11" ,couldn't get the the bigger ones going. I put up pics if I can figure my new camera and computer out. It was cool we met some guys from California who now live in NC,one used to be VP in Kokanee Power in California. They had a day about like we did. Will picked out an orange Kokanee Creek splatter spoon and got our first koke on it two minutes later. I need to let the boy pick all my lures. He also got the first fish/first koke on a rod I just finished building. The rainbow was Wills' biggest fish yet caught on a pink Shasta Wiggle Hootchie, The same setup he got his first koke on back in May.

Mark

Nice day with your Son and Grandson. I envy you. That big rainbow should really indoctrinate you Grandson. You seemed to have caught a few of the "class of 2016" kokes. 10" to 11" we may get some big ones(20+") next year. Did you have that pink wiggle hootchie in back of a dodger or did you fish it alone? How deep were they? I'm going to hit Cheoah for trout this week weather permitting.

Ron
    "There's no losing in fishing. You either catch or you learn."

We were running it 20"-24"behind a Slingblade style dodger. The Dodger was one of the Hagen's blanks silver with scale pattern and green prism tape. If you hit Cheoah try running a cowbell with a half crawler way behind the boat. I tie a 12"-18" leader with a snelled octopus hook to the cowbell it will run 10'-12' on a long line with no wt at slow speed.Trout will swallow the hook lots of the time. I've had good luck with real and gulp crawlers threaded straight on the hook. Good luck, great to see you again.I'll drop those heads off on Monday next week. (Oh we were marking fish from 25'-45'. There were some big marks we never could get to hit right off Rocky Branch cove.) Mark
    Last edited by trollmonkey; 08-16-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Nice report

Glad to see salmon are still in the lake