Thread: Just In

Default Just In

Well after 4 days of SOLID fishing here's the report-
    Upon arriving Wednesday the 29th we launched that evening and was informed by the DWR at the launch that the koke fishing was off and the Mac numbers for the year are up 220% I hung my head loooowwwwww.
    We hit out usual koke hole and saw notta on the graph so we ventured a bit and found MASSIVE schools of Mac's. My thoughts were hey if the Kokes are off lets work the pups over???
    And boy did we!!!!! It was almost comical! You could not eat a candy bar without reeling in 4 pups! average was 20-24" I personally love the pups on the grill or smoked and figured hey were doing the lake a favor
    Next we went into Wyoming with the masses and caught a couple 12" Kokes and decided we would rather catch pups than deal with the crowds...........
    Our story was the Koke fishing is OFF the Wyoming side is a JOKE everyone and there buddies are up there!!! But if you want a great time catching pups hit them why there HOT!!!!!!!!
    We did run 2 separate boats and tried numerous lures- Squids, spoons, spinners in orange green pink you name it! The kokes were just way scattered I believe we caught 5 KOKES TOTAL. Numbers on the PUPS is whole different story

Good Fishing-
    Lablover

Thanks for the report.

Where at were you fishing for the pups? We're probably going to head up this Sunday for a day on the water

I will be at FG Wed to Thur.
    We may fish mostly for the big lakers
    last time I was up a lot of pups at middle marsh and upper marsh
    I had two downriggers down 80 and 90 ft for the pups and and two down for the kokes.
    if you only have two downriggers you can stack. with a Shasta Tackle Shuttle Hawk and use a line counter reel to get it down 50 are 60 ft.

Liketrolling-

The pups were stacked in the Antelope flats area along the cliffs!!! 2 guide boats also showed up for the last 2 days working them over!
    Here is the magic depth- "90 feet" of water run your gear at 73-76ft deep and hold on!! We use a GPS for speed so it bounces 1.6-2.0 MPH

You got me excited to get out there even more now.
    Were you just using your Koke gear for the pups?

I bought a couple of them small magic guide spoons to try also
    Last edited by TRUBBS; 08-05-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Go with a BIG Chrome/Nickel Dodger and run your favorite spoon 10" behind :)

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Go with a BIG Chrome/Nickel Dodger and run your favorite spoon 10" behind :)
    How big? Going to guess since the Capitals that's it's probably much larger then the RMT 5.5's?

LOL
    RMT makes Awesome spoons..............
    And Yes the RMT at least 5.5" will be fine chrome with the holographic tape!

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    LOL
    RMT makes Awesome spoons..............
    And Yes the RMT at least 5.5" will be fine chrome with the holographic tape!
    perfect, I Love RMT stuff, its about 90% of my tackle.

just had to clarify as I know there are some rather large (8"+) dodgers/flashers out there

thanks for the tip, Ill be sure to post back on how we do

I just got home, the bigest laker we got was 20 lbs got 6, 8 to 12 lbs
    was using soons and flat fish. spoons were best did not need a dodger. downriggers were from 80' to the bottom.
    I had one setup with a dodger and spoon and it was catching fish. but then lost it on the bottom. so started using just the spoon (same kind) it was catching Lakers just as good without the dodger.
    some times we would get a pup every 10 min then it would stop. we fished a lot even when the wind was 27 mph, not alot of boats stayed around.
    Saw a lot of lakers in Lynwood bay but could not get them to bite.
    saw one guy trolling with big pop gear, he said he got two out of their, did not ask how big.
    got one koke about 4lbs. the the rest were 2 to 3 1/2 lbs, it was slow but 6 kokes came home with us . two of us were fishing.
    we also got 4 rainbows in 50 ft of water.
    Last edited by liketrolling; 08-08-2015 at 09:49 AM.

well Unfortunately I didn't make it to the gorge today, was En-rote and had an early morning encounter with a deer on the washboard after fort Bridger, almost back to the utah boarder. luckily I was able to avoid hitting all 3 and only took one out, but he did a pretty good number on the truck.

Trubbs, so sorry to learn of the damper those deer put on your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Trubbs, so sorry to learn of the damper those deer put on your trip.
    Eh its life, I drive to the gorge a lot (well i like to think so anyways) and it was bound to happen soon or later just glad I was able to make sure I stayed on the road and no one got hurt, the fish will be there to catch next time lol