Thread: Reports

Default Reports

Wow is it that bad at FG that there are NO reports in over a week
    Were headed up next Wednesday for a week just curious how the fishing has been?

The CA boys destroyed them all last week. Most left at the end of the week but there are still a couple of parties up there pounding them. No shortage of fish but the fish are travelling in packs by size. One day you'll fish an area for large numbers of fish but on the smaller side. The next day, that area produces a lot less fish but a higher quality of fish. If you are there for a week, you'll run into the fish.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Well thanks for the update SuperD ! That's good news there are a few left

If you want to know where the California crowd is fishing just follow the trail of floating dead Koke's.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfresh View Post
    If you want to know where the California crowd is fishing just follow the trail of floating dead Koke's.
    boy, ain't that the truth
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

So over the past 5 years of hitting FG we have focused on the Utah side and I know Ya'all say the Wyoming side holds better kokes ??? My question is where without giving me #'s were would you start looking
    on the Wyoming side??? I would be happy to share info we have found on the Utah side :)
    Just thinking were up there for a week and wouldn't mind doing a little poking around over there??
    I appreciate any info!!!!!!!!!

Start in the Anvil Draw or Middle Marsh area and work north if you need to. Buckboard is always great as well but a heck of a run for someone based on the Utah side unless you trailer the boat all the way to Buckboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfresh View Post
    What a travesty! Is that what goes on up there when the CA crowd hits Flaming Gorge? I'm assuming it means they are just tossing away fish they feel to be undersized? How embarrassing, another good reason to be looking to move to Oregon in the spring. RAY
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Ray, I'm pretty confident that in a group of 30 boats, 80% being locals, that ducksfresh, might be lacking proof of where the source of the floaters is coming from. But always easier to take shots at the out of town guys.

It makes my stomach sick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Ray, I'm pretty confident that in a group of 30 boats, 80% being locals, that ducksfresh, might be lacking proof of where the source of the floaters is coming from. But always easier to take shots at the out of town guys.
    Super D I am not the only one that witnessed that a group of boats from a particular state was unsuccessfully releasing a large number of Kokes. Pictures were taken and submitted to the WYO Fish & Game. Not that it will help as I am sure that ranting on here wont change someones ethics. My only hope is that someone maybe me, maybe you, maybe someone from another state will be more aware of their behavior. I get to fish the Gorge a lot I usually quit before I get my limit I keep small fish because I will not waste fish.

I think it is always a good reminder to fishermen to be better stewards of our great fisheries. It is amazing how many are never taught how to properly release fish if that is what one intends to do. If I plan on releasing a fish, I never net it but flip it or revive it at the side of the boat without it ever leaving the water.

It doesn't really matter if you release it carefully. The change in water temperature causes them to go into shock. Remember , it's 50 degree water 60 feet down, you bring them into 70 degree surface temp, then into 85 degree air temp. All not good for cold blooded fish that don't do well being released under perfect conditions. We have all released fish, and I bet I lot of them don't make it. As I have said before, if you really care about the fish, don't go fishing !

I know there was a few bald eagles that were getting their fill a couple of weeks ago in the breeze hill area and south to squaw. I saw an alarming rate of fish belly up, I also turn allot of fish back but take the time to swim / revive the fish until it swims from my loose grip. I'm not claiming that all the fish I release survive but I do keep a vigilant eye behind my boat after a release and if the fish resurfaces belly up I turn around and pick the fish up in my net and throw it in the fish locker. Allot of people make an annual trip the Gorge for world class fishing and it's a great thing for local economy. That being said don't, get your hopes up of seeing nothing but 4lb + fish when you do make the trip. This is a world class fishery because of the way it's managed and just like anything else in life it isn't always given the respect that it deserves. Whether the lack of respect comes from out of state or in state it happens. I've personally watched the fishery at the gorge become extremely commercialized over the 20 years which has been hard to see. The secret couldn't stay safe forever, I crack up listening to all the " code talk" on the radio and the " yeah all these boats saw me catch a fish and now everybody is just following me around" gimmie break. It's just fishing people learn to lighten up and share the water and respect the fishery.

Cheers
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

I crack up listening to all the " code talk" on the radio
    Good that you can laugh about that one because it tends to irritate me. I float zip lock baggies of the hot lure to guys while on the water and have no problem broadcasting colors on the radio. Am I afraid that someone else is going to catch MY fish? That makes me SMH.

I just don't see it. The guys from Cal are expert fishermen and great stewards of biomass. They are used to fishing in much warmer waters and knowing them personally, I know how hard they work to protect the fishery. Maybe you are referring to someone I don't know but I know the major group from Cal. That being said, I live in Idaho and have had houses in Mont. and Wyo. While I can't see the validity in the complaints, these northern states generally complain about the stewardship of the guys from Utah. I think the best solution is to get out a bit more and fish in all of these other states. You will find you have more in common with your fellow fishermen than you may believe! I know I've been treated great by the fishermen in every state I've fished in and that includes every state in the western U.S.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

This is turning into who can flex more muscle. It is going into lock down before things get to far out of hand

This thread is Closed