Thread: Newbie from Elk Grove, CA

Default Newbie from Elk Grove, CA

Just found this site while investigating next weeks trip to Flaming Gorge, hoping to stay at Buckboard Crossing CG. I pull a 16' Alumaweld Talon behind a 2015 GMC 2500 diesel with a new Lance 850 on the back, it'll be our first trip to FG. I can't find a resi with electrical hook-up but have generator power so we're driving up blind, hope to catch a few kokes and have some fun. I'll check the local marina which sounds like it's right next door to the CG. My plan is to detach the camper and sit it on the ground to make in and out, and launching, much easier. Reckon I'll see if there's enough room to do all that when I get there, it's about 900 miles each way. RAY

Ray,
    Half of Northern CA will be pulling in starting next week. A good contingent for Sacramento at both Buckboard and Lucerne. They are always reachable on channel 69, vhf. With this being your first trip to FG, they will be invaluable. I'm going to send you a PM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Welcome aboard Ray. Your coming in with the rest of the Calif's. Be safe have fun

Bduck and SuperD, thanks for the PM welcomes and advise! We're still kind of on the fence as whether to go all the way to Flaming Gorge or head up to Oregon for our first extended trip in the new camper. It sounds like there's enough room at the Buckboard Crossing CG sites to detach my Lance and still have plenty of room for the truck and boat, if they're full up I'm kind of screwed. We look after my 90 year-old father-in-law and should he have a problem Oregon is just a days drive back home, we're also thinking of moving to Oregon next year and might take the opportunity to do some house research. I do have a buddy who's trailing thru Canada right now and hoping to hook up with us at Flaming Gorge sometime between July 8 - 16. I've got a couple days to toss things around before hitting the road I guess. Thanks again! RAY

Ray, did you go to the Fed campground website and try to make reservations?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Not yet but I've been there. A big factor will be if Verizon cell phones work at FG, my wife really likes to be able to check on her dad daily. He lives with us and is deaf, blind in one eye, and prone to falling down due to past strokes. We set him up with food when we go to Mexico or anywhere else for a week so all he has to do is put plates in the microwave, never gets near a stove or oven. Do you have and knowledge about if Verizon works up that way? Thanks again, RAY

Just talked to the nice lady at Buckboard Marina and she told me Verizon cell service was just about non-existent there, was terrible at best even if I drove around and found a spot where it would connect. FG is out for me this year, looking at Odell and other Oregon lakes to head to after the big holiday weekend. RAY
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

It seems that there has been a few thats piped in about getting Verizon service at Lucerne. My sprint service works great there with no issues but when I start getting north of the pipeline about 5mi heading towards Buckboard, service becomes intermittent. I don't get service at all in Buckboard. Sometimes I might get lucky and hit a sucker hole.