Thread: Cannon Power Cords

Exclamation Cannon Power Cords

So, I've always heard the complaints about Cannon power cords falling apart but I never paid it much mind because my cords were permanently mounted under my gunnels. Out of sight and out of mind so to speak. Well, I'm under there working on something else and this is what I find. It acts like wire dipped in peanut brittle. There were several sections of bare, exposed wire. This is an alert to check what you might have thought was fine in regards to your Cannon power cords.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

how old are those wires? the complaints have mostly been with the connectors although I have never had a problem with any of mine. is it possible that some kind of chemical got on them, their petty bad looking.

The jacketing just crumbles in your hands. They are probably around 5 years old and were secured under the gunnel, supposedly, out of harms way.

those don't look like cannon wires the newer ones have a round jacket around a black and red wire the older ones have duplex with that is a single color that looks like an over sized lamp cord , I suspect the wrong type of wire was used in the installation process. that said its agood thing you found the problem before It ruined a trip.

When I added my latest electric DR's, not enough wire supplied for the forward mounting. The type wire that was recommended to me was the 12ga Malibu type wire that gets buried in the ground for your yard lights. We think of Malibu lights as a low voltage but the 12ga recommended is more than enough to carry what you need with a 25-40amp fuse. Its is 2 braided wires and not rigid solid wire like romex but is flat with separately wrapped coating. Extension cords & romex have separate wrapped coatings with additional outer sheath. This wire can be found at some electrical stores and purchased at whatever length you need.
    Last edited by Bduck; 06-19-2015 at 10:55 AM.

[QUOTE=SuperD;55870]So, I've always heard the complaints about Cannon power cords falling apart but I never paid it much mind because my cords were permanently mounted under my gunnels. Out of sight and out of mind so to speak. Well, I'm under there working on something else and this is what I find. It acts like wire dipped in peanut brittle. There were several sections of bare, exposed wire. This is an alert to check what you might have thought was fine in regards to your Cannon power cords.

[/Q
    Dave That is a common problem all four of mine looked just like that when I bought my boat . Between that and the switch problem sold them ASAP . no more hot boat problems

I got started on my fix this morning but it got too hot too quick. I guess I'll have to get up earlier tomorrow.

Looking at the picture, Wires were damaged due to heat. cause was due to loose connection.
    Last edited by lowe1648mt; 06-22-2015 at 12:27 AM. Reason: o

Quote Originally Posted by lowe1648mt View Post
    Looking at the picture, Wires were damaged due to heat. cause was due to loose connection.
    Interesting that it only damaged the Cannon wire and not the rest of the wire in the circuit back to the battery. At the end of the day, the wire was carp.

I had same issue a couple years ago. I heard they had a lifetime warranty on their riggers. I called Cannon cust service and gave serial numbers for both riggers and they sent me new cable free of charge. I had bought the downriggers second hand but it didn't matter as they said it was a safety issue. You might give em a call and see.

Quote Originally Posted by jtj View Post
    I had same issue a couple years ago. I heard they had a lifetime warranty on their riggers. I called Cannon cust service and gave serial numbers for both riggers and they sent me new cable free of charge. I had bought the downriggers second hand but it didn't matter as they said it was a safety issue. You might give em a call and see.
    Thanks for that info, I was not aware of Cannons free replacement policy, my original Cannon power cord did exactly the same thing, the insulation just crumbled throughout its length, and no the downrigger was not left out on the boat in all weathers.....Fact is, I live in a high crime area so you cant leave items like that out, the unit was stored in the garage yet still the cord disintegrated .