Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dawn in the East(Nantahala Lake)

Default Dawn in the East(Nantahala Lake)

Finally got my boat on the water and went after some Kokanee this morning. I caught these two Kokes 30' down in the area from Shore Point to the Narrows. I marked a lot fish through out the water column in this area. Went and checked out some of my other favorite spots but found a lot of empty water. Hoping to hear some reports from some of you other Eastern trolls. The fishing at Nantahala should only get better in the next few weeks.

Be advised the Big Choga boat launch ramp is closed for an extended period for refurbishing and improvements.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4554.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	685.5 KB 
ID:	8011
    "There's no losing in fishing. You either catch or you learn."

Hey Ron, I was just thinking about seeing what you were up to. Good to see you're back after the kokes. I'm hoping to get out there May 30 or 31. We did our annual family trip May 6-9 to Apalachia. The fishing was slower overall at first but ended strong. Alex got a 9 lb 2 oz brown and we got quite a few nice browns and rainbows 2-4 pounds. In all the years I've trolled for trout we've only caught two catfish. On this trip we caught 6 catfish on lures from two to ten pounds .The two biggest cats were 9lbs 10oz and 10 lbs even. I'm hoping to get one or two trips to Nantahala by mid June . We've got Grandbaby # 4 coming in July ,so I 'll be sticking close around then. Take care and keep us posted on the fishing. Mark

Nice Kokes ............... Planning on making a trip to Natahala in the mourning. Will be my first shot at kokes - been wanting to give them a shot and finally gonna try. Hope to get a few walleye to............... Will let ya know how it goes......

Default Nantahala Kokanee

Quote Originally Posted by trollmonkey View Post
    Hey Ron, I was just thinking about seeing what you were up to. Good to see you're back after the kokes. I'm hoping to get out there May 30 or 31. We did our annual family trip May 6-9 to Apalachia. The fishing was slower overall at first but ended strong. Alex got a 9 lb 2 oz brown and we got quite a few nice browns and rainbows 2-4 pounds. In all the years I've trolled for trout we've only caught two catfish. On this trip we caught 6 catfish on lures from two to ten pounds .The two biggest cats were 9lbs 10oz and 10 lbs even. I'm hoping to get one or two trips to Nantahala by mid June . We've got Grandbaby # 4 coming in July ,so I 'll be sticking close around then. Take care and keep us posted on the fishing. Mark
    Mark

Glad to hear that you are still hear. The eastern board has been real quiet these days. I did go out again last Wednesday. I only caught one but did lose 3 on the way to the boat and had quite a few strikes. They were hitting light and only pink 30' down. I have to do Lake Apalachia but that ramp gives me the "willies". Let me know if you want the koke heads again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	522.8 KB 
ID:	8056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	525.8 KB 
ID:	8057

That's a fair size koke for a meal. Love the scenery, one can get lost gazing and forget there may be some rigs in the water.

Yeah Ron still here, can't run me out of the mountains. They still want heads ,not sure if they are reading the otoliths or just storing them to work on some day in the distant future. The ramp at Ap ain't too bad when the generators aren't running. If the waters up I get my motor running before we unhook from the trailer .We've had our best luck from point three down to the dam, the tailrace area is probably best in cooler weather .

I did make the trip......... Did mark lots of kokes, but didn't boat one this trip. Being a newbie to this, I'm sure I'll have my learning/growing pains.......... Will try again hopefully during the first week of June.... Good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by richienc View Post
    I did make the trip......... Did mark lots of kokes, but didn't boat one this trip. Being a newbie to this, I'm sure I'll have my learning/growing pains.......... Will try again hopefully during the first week of June.... Good luck to all!
    Don't give up. It took 4 or 5 trips before I caught a koke. I still get the skunk up at Nantahala. June is a great month for catching kokes at Nantahala. Was hoping to get out this week but the pestilent weather up at the lake is cloudy, breezy, showers and thunderstorms for the next 4 or 5 days(not exactly good fishing weather)

Quote Originally Posted by rgarbar View Post
    Don't give up. It took 4 or 5 trips before I caught a koke. I still get the skunk up at Nantahala. June is a great month for catching kokes at Nantahala. Was hoping to get out this week but the pestilent weather up at the lake is cloudy, breezy, showers and thunderstorms for the next 4 or 5 days(not exactly good fishing weather)
    I'm determined to learn - The weather does seem to be worse for fishing this week. Guess it's the time to be scheduled for work. My plan is to make it up June 3rd and maybe 4th.......... Good Luck to you if you make it up there!

Default A Pair of Chunky Gals

The weather unexpectedly cleared today so I went out this morning to fish for kokanee. The action was slow as compared to when I went out last. Two strikes, two fish on and two fish in the box. Fish are still down at about 32'. Both fish caught on green. Hope to get out again this weekend.

Name:	009.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	759.0 KB 
ID:	8059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	564.0 KB 
ID:	8060

Default Slow Day at Nantahala

Went out this morning for a couple of hours. The weather was lousy(overcast, showers, downpours etc. Did manage to put one in the box and lost another in bound. Fish all over the water column. Hoping the lake will stratify soon. The thermocline is only 3 or 4' from the surface.

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	571.2 KB 
ID:	8081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	137.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	8082

Nice Pix Ron.Where is the picture on the right from? Looks a little like the tunnel on Calderwood,but I haven't been there in two years.

Default Nantahala Bass

Name:	bass1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	8088Mark

Thought that picture was taken by the dam near the flood gates/spillway but you are right it may have been taken at Calderwood and left on the camera chip. I can hook up with you some time the week of June 15th to give you the koke heads for Powell. Andrews(Ingles) would be best or the park at the junction of Wayah road and US 19/74(near the powerhouse) would also be a good choice. PM me and we can set the date/time. Wonder if this school of 20+" bass get this big eating Kokanee?
    Last edited by rgarbar; 06-03-2015 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Picture did not come up

Sounds good Ron, I'll get up with you and drop heads off on my way through Balsam.Were those bass in Nantahala? Nice ones!!

Default Fat Kokanee and a Skinny Walleye

Hit the lake this morning. It was cold and windy(white caps) and overcast. I managed to catch one male Kokanee about 18" and one 12" skinny walleye(released). I lost another smaller Kokanee at the net. Had a lot of trouble trolling in my small boat because of the wind. Have some pictures but I am having trouble loading them up to the website.
    Last edited by rgarbar; 06-08-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: pushed the wrong key

Hey Ron, I am waiting to here it is on so I can make a trip up. Thanks for the pics and keep the updates coming . Not as much time as in the past so I appreciate the reports.H

Harpoon

Glad to see that you are still with us as the Eastern board seems dead. Hoping you are doing well at Jocassee, Glendale and Keyowee. The next 4 to 6 weeks should be prime kokanee time at Nantahala. The weather as always has been unsettling(popcorn thunderstorms and strong gusty winds). All the kokes I caught/hooked have been down 22' to 32'. None deeper at this point(that will change and they will start heading deeper. The thermocline was at about 10' down. The Most were caught/hooked on either pink or chartreuse squids or hootchies trailed behind a small color matched dodger. Have had problems posting pictures to this site lately. Don't know if it is me or the website.

Default Missing Pictures

Name:	022.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	716.7 KB 
ID:	8094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	990.4 KB 
ID:	8095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	661.0 KB 
ID:	8096

These are the missing photos from the other day. The problem seemed to be that they were more than 1.0 MB. I cropped them to below 1 MB and they uploaded with no problem.

Default A Pair of Dixie Kokes

Hit Nantahala this morning. Nice weather for a change. Took about 2 1/2 hours to find the fish. The action picked up fast. Within an hour or so I boated 2 at about 17". Lost 2 on the way in, a had a couple of strikes as well. The fish were at 40' to 42' down in the vicinity of the "narrows" . All action on green/chartreuse. Had some brush hogging to do so I called it a day.

Name:	001.JPG 
Size:	804.3 KB 
ID:	8108

Ron you're killing me, I can't get back out fishing until probably late July.Those are nice looking kokes ,I hope the fishing gets better and better as summer goes on . See you later this week to get your koke heads..

Quote Originally Posted by rgarbar View Post
    Hit Nantahala this morning. Nice weather for a change. Took about 2 1/2 hours to find the fish. The action picked up fast. Within an hour or so I boated 2 at about 17". Lost 2 on the way in, a had a couple of strikes as well. The fish were at 40' to 42' down in the vicinity of the "narrows" . All action on green/chartreuse. Had some brush hogging to do so I called it a day.

Name:	001.JPG 
Size:	804.3 KB 
ID:	8108
    Nice...............

Default Quick Trip

Hit the water for about 2 hours and stayed fairly close to the dock as the skies were threatening. Still a bit slow action at Nantahala. Did catch this 18" kokanee @ 2 1/4 lbs. and lost another on the way in. The fish were in the 36' to 42' water column.

Name:	002.JPG 
Size:	861.9 KB 
ID:	8114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	652.6 KB 
ID:	8115

Blackened salmon with sweet potatoes fries and broccoli tonight

Ron ,Great to see you and talk fishing today.Looks like I should have hung around for supper. I dropped the heads off as I went back to work, and managed to miss the rain. Stay after the kokes, and keep us posted. Mark

Default Good Morning at Nantahala Lake

Got out this morning. The action was slow for a while I looked for the fish. Marked fish in the vicinity of the dam all over the water column. Hooked up with these 2 bows and a koke. The three were down @ 32' to 42' deep. Lost another and had several other strikes. The sun is intense and the lake basin hot. Bring sun screen and a hat.

Name:	5c.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	981.5 KB 
ID:	8121

Default A Banner Day at Nantahala

The bite was on early today and I found the fish fast not too far from the dock. Caught these 5 kokanee and lost a few others on the way in. Green/chartreuse caught the most. Lost a big "bow" and my favorite trout hootchie too a bad knot The kokes were down about 42' the trout at 34'. The kokes ran about 15" to 18".

Name:	0066.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	855.0 KB 
ID:	8128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0011.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	607.2 KB 
ID:	8129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast