Thread: headed out, feelin corny

Lightbulb headed out, feelin corny

gettin ready to try for my first of the season kokes and am going to give the corn a try in place of the berkley gulp maggots. i am very interested if the corn will make a sig impact on catch rate since it is what most guys out west use. i brined up some corn with some red dye and yellow dye and mixed them all with some procure. it has me very intrigiuded. i'll post when i get home. wish us luck.

I've always had better luck on corn then berkley maggots, although real maggots have been at least as good as corn. bob r

Has Wyoming finely agreed to allow Corn at the Gorge? I know that last year there was alot of talk last year and I heard that they had and then I heard that they retracted it. anyone heard the latest?
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    Has Wyoming finely agreed to allow Corn at the Gorge? I know that last year there was alot of talk last year and I heard that they had and then I heard that they retracted it. anyone heard the latest?
    ^ Im Wondering the same thing ^

can you use synthetic corn? is that what the OP is talking about or is/was that also a NO-Go

Not sure, Really would hope that RYNO will see this and help to maybe clarify. HE is a Utah bioligist on the gorge. Maybe he can help

I don't really see the need for corn you can already catch plenty of kokes real easy with nothing on your lure .

Corn is legal in Wyoming. They tried to change the regs last year, but it was a statute that needed approval in the legislature before the change was official (or something like that).

The whole corn prohibition was pretty stupid, now if you are allowed to use bait on any water, you can use corn.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    Not sure, Really would hope that RYNO will see this and help to maybe clarify. HE is a Utah bioligist on the gorge. Maybe he can help
    Like Dorado stated, it's legalized in Wyoming, including that portion of the reservoir. Hopefully the Utah regulation can be changed to reflect the same in 2016. More to come....

When Utah banned corn all those years ago, I heard it was because it doesn't digest in fish (much like humans) and then smaller fish can't pass the kernel, not that it was a bait that gave unfair advantage.

Is that true or what is the reasoning?

That's the story that herd.

I have heard the same thing as you, but I believe the true reason was because of misuse ie chumming , I don't think there should be a problem with corn as bait but the misuse is more of an issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by austringer84078 View Post
    When Utah banned corn all those years ago, I heard it was because it doesn't digest in fish (much like humans) and then smaller fish can't pass the kernel, not that it was a bait that gave unfair advantage.

Is that true or what is the reasoning?
    Fish will obviously consume corn, in vast amounts, but like humans they derive little nutrition from it. Studies have been completed looking at trout fed corn versus traditional feeds. Trout fed corn grew at a slower rate than prepared feed, no surprise right? Anyway, it was somewhat of an urban legend that corn caused mortality in trout, when it simply causes slower growth rates if that's their only forage.

Chumming was also an issue, as certain lakes had so much corn littering the shallows. It was very evident in high elevation lakes where corn took a long time to decompose. There is a law in UT banning chumming (except Lake Powell where you can chum anchovies for stripers) so I doubt there would be an issue like there was historically.

I remember as a kid lots of people at the gorge would chum like all get out with corn. There was an old gal over at sheep creek who used a wrist rocket with a large pouch that she would fill with corn and launch it out into the water then cast her bait into the middle of it. Recalled in fish hand over fist. But that was a long time ago.

And by july the lake would be about 90 proof..

do you think that corn is much more effective than the gulp maggots?

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    do you think that corn is much more effective than the gulp maggots?
    Personally I don't think corn is more effective ,then glup maggots. The few times I have used corn this year, it did not produce more fish . I have had better success either using maggots or using another scent(pro-cure,smelly jelly). Also the corn nibbles didn't seem to stay on the hook very well at all. I will probable try corn a couple more time during the year, but for me I don't think it's all that effective.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Over the years I have had great success using a chunk of night crawler or garden worm on the hook along with a scent added and really the only place I have fished corn was at Anderson Ranch Reservoir in Idaho back in 1997. I was surprised it was legal as at the time here in Colorado it was a violation if you "possessed" corn while fishing. I do have faith in adding something on the hook and scents attract more fish than sight does. One thing is corn is real cheap bait!

Not sure about comparisons to other baits or scents, but I know they do like corn!

I am pretty new to kokanee fishing, and seem to get lots of hits or quick hook ups that do not stay hooked (another topic for discussion). I could immediately tell which lures had lost their corn kernel--the bites stopped! A new piece of corn would usually result in a bite. I find that it stays on pretty well unless a fish smacks the lure.....

for what I spend on fishing the expense of corn vs gulp is a non factor for me. gulp is about 4 bucks a bottle and a bottle lasts all year.

Where I mostly fish in CO I use corn which I dye and cure the night before, it lasts for bout 4 days if kept cold. I use Kroger florescent food coloring and mikes scent's to make my potion. As was mentioned above I can tell which rod has corn missing when it stops catching fish. I have had guys drive up and ask what the heck am I using as I catch fish 5 to there one. One kernel only, ONE!

Wood

I never did post when I got back. That day way back then was pretty slow. I tried out the corn, I had three bags. One I mixed with pink food coloring and Procure Kokanee Special, one bag with Yellow and the P.C.K.S. and then just one white str8 out of the can. The 3 fish I did catch were on the fusion dodger with a pink hoochie with the pink smile blade and the pink GULP maggots. I didn't get a single hit with a rod using exactly the same thing on it except corn. So I'm going to continue using my tried and true berkley gulp maggots. They last longer, a jar of them tends to take me all season to go through and they just seem to work better for me out at the Gorge. I guess that the corn might work better out in the western lakes but just not here. And now I plan to go out in the rain on Saturday. The "W" is only supposed to be 8-9mph. I never thought that my original post would turn into the great corn discussion lol. I only have a little 16 ft. aluminum boat so I have to go when the wind is fairly calm till I can afford to fix my big boat. I would love to find someone on here and get to be friends so I can pitch some gas money etc, and have them take me out lol. I'm a fishing addict for sure. Esp. when it comes to Kokanee.