Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time fishing Flaming Gorge

Default First time fishing Flaming Gorge

Me and a buddy will be coming up there in June and we plan to camp at the Lucerne Campground. We're from California. I've checked out the FG contacts and other posts on this site. Based on what I found, we need a UT non-resident fishing license, maybe a WY reciprocal license, a FGNRA recreation use pass, but I'm a bit puzzled on the mussel inspection (my buddy owns the boat and he has gone through inspections here in CA). Will we be inspected at the stateline or at the campground, or both? Is there a fee? I'm trying make the trip go as smoothly as possible, without the sudden "I didn't know that?" stuff. Is there anything else I need to get? Any suggestions?

First of all, camping at Lucerne Campground is also your recreational use fee as well. The host will inform to display campground use tag in your vehicle. Next, boat owner can either take the online test(recommended) or fill out the daily certification form at launch ramp for AIS. The only inspection that I have seen crossing the state line coming into Utah is I-15 in southern Utah at port of entry at St. George. However, at the port of entry on I-80 into Wyoming at Evanston an inspection of the boat is required, they will also inform you to purchase an AIS decal if not already have which they should direct you to where purchase can be made, after completion they install a wire tag certifying your boat securing boat to trailer and you will need to keep this tag in your boat when fishing Wyoming waters. The water cops normally pay a safety visit on the water. This is a no fee inspection on sight across the state. Make sure you comply with clean, drain & dry prior to inspection. Wyoming requires those who fish their state to purchase an AIS decal for your boat. This cost is a $30 fee for non-resident. You will be greeted at the launch ramp by inspectors at Lucerne to insure your in compliance with AIS certification form. If you do online test, make enough copies, one to display in launch vehicle at all times and one to keep with your boat. Suggest after signing make a shrink down copy and tape it to inside your windshield.

Online test must be 100% passing, no worry, if you miss any at the end it will take you back to retake questions missed.
    https://dwrapps.utah.gov/wex/dbconne...examnbr=508050

Purchase Wyoming AIS decal
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elso/elsoaiswelcome.aspx

all the big Kokes are in Wy.
    I would buy the Wyoming AIS (Aquatic Invasive Species) Decal for $30 on the internet
    you can get your Utah fishing Licenses here
    http://wildlife.utah.gov/licenses/

buy the $10 Wyoming reciprocal Stamp at Lucerne Valley Store or at the Maverick on your way through Mountain View, so you can fish WY. I would buy gas there
    it cost less.

just before you get to Evanston, Wyoming, you will see a sign that says all boats must be inspected on the Right side (South) I would bet they will wash out part of your boat,
    with hot water. this will be free. I think they open about 6 am

fishing for Kokes look for boats
    wall below pipeline, wild horse bay (anvil ) ranch house, Jap Island, big bend,
    use pink are green Berkeley Gulp Maggots on your hooks.

buy a FISH-n-MAP of Flaming Gorge Res you can buy it on the internet.
    A word of caution concerning Flaming gorge; storms will come up quickly and with them some serious winds.
    kokanee salmon limit, three fish

They have all filled you in pretty good. There is a small grocery store in Manilia to get most all of your needs. Cleaning stations at the ramps. tackle shops in Manilia at the hub, chevron and general store. Good luck.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Thanks for all the replies! I hooked my buddy into this trip after watching You Tube videos and Angler West TV. I may be dating myself, but I first read about FG in a Field & Stream magazine (early 80's I think) where a guy name Ray Johnson was catching 30 lb. trout. Had that chubby ever since then.

Utah Wildlife Resources

Learn How to Catch Fish at Lake Powell and Flaming Gorge they talk about zebra/quagga mussels
    .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEoc...ature=youtu.be

Protect Your Waters
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/fishing-1000206.aspx

There are no fish in the gorge to make your trip worthwhile. Stay in Cali, and dream of big kokes,,,,,,,,, j/k sounds like those that have chimed in have you to set to go.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Post back just before you leave. May get some good information, how deep they are, what speed they are biting at etc.

You can get the Wyoming reciprocal license online now, you will also be required to buy the conservation stamp also to fish at the Gorge. I will also be their in June 15-20. I agree with Liketrolling that bigger fish are to be had in the areas he mentioned. This will be my 3rd time at the Gorge and I have my favorite spots to hit in Wyoming, I don't fish the Utah side anymore. I'm camping at Buckboard Crossing Campground for the first time, but will be launching out of Anvil. I always pull into the Mussel check point by the highway at the end of my fishing day to have them tag the boat so that I can be on the water the next day as early as I want and not have to stop. If you are their at same time I am, look me up out on the water. I'm in a 18ft Hewes Craft "TROL-N-IV-KOKE" I can give you some tips that might be working for me. I'm usally hangin out between Anvil Draw and the Ranch House.

Pat

Pat, what is your source for the reciprocal stamp? The one on the Wyoming Game & Fish site used to be for Wyoming residents that wanted to fish the Utah side. I can't find a current description of the stamp on the web site now.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by Walldiver View Post
    You can get the Wyoming reciprocal license online now, you will also be required to buy the conservation stamp also to fish at the Gorge. I will also be their in June 15-20. I agree with Liketrolling that bigger fish are to be had in the areas he mentioned. This will be my 3rd time at the Gorge and I have my favorite spots to hit in Wyoming, I don't fish the Utah side anymore. I'm camping at Buckboard Crossing Campground for the first time, but will be launching out of Anvil. I always pull into the Mussel check point by the highway at the end of my fishing day to have them tag the boat so that I can be on the water the next day as early as I want and not have to stop. If you are their at same time I am, look me up out on the water. I'm in a 18ft Hewes Craft "TROL-N-IV-KOKE" I can give you some tips that might be working for me. I'm usally hangin out between Anvil Draw and the Ranch House.

Pat

Ive never had to buy the conservation stamp before?

The only time you have to buy a Wyoming Conservation Stamp is if you buy a Wyoming season license of any kind. This will include a Resident or Non-Resident fishing license.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Pat, what is your source for the reciprocal stamp? The one on the Wyoming Game & Fish site used to be for Wyoming residents that wanted to fish the Utah side. I can't find a current description of the stamp on the web site now.
    Dave, it was thru the the WGFD site and I was able to do it back in March. I checked it out yesterday and the "add to cart" button by it is now greyed out. It is a non-resident reciprocal stamp. You could try calling them about it, the add to cart button maybe down due to a glitch and they may not be aware of it. I can't see the sense of them limiting the amount of sales to non-residents online, but you never know.

Last time I saw you post about going to the Gorge this year, you said that you were to booked up with work at home to make it. Did you change your mind?

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfresh View Post
    The only time you have to buy a Wyoming Conservation Stamp is if you buy a Wyoming season license of any kind. This will include a Resident or Non-Resident fishing license.
    When I bought my non-resident reciprocal stamp online it did not give me a choice, I could not complete the transaction without purchasing the conservation stamp being added to the total cost. I bought 2 Riciprocals and had to buy 1 conservation with both totaling $22 each. I optioned out and tried it again but it never gave me the option not to include them, at the time I figured everbody, non-residents and residents were forced into buying them along with the riciprocals. Now I think that maybe that is the disadvantage of buying the riciprocals online for non-residents.
    Last edited by Walldiver; 05-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUBBS View Post
    Ive never had to buy the conservation stamp before?
    I did not have to a couple of years ago. I figured it was Wyoming getting a little more money tacked to the cheaper $10 reciprocal stamp cost. I would assume that most non-residents buy the cheaper Utah non-resident fishing license and the Wyoming Reciprocal which adds up to $50 in my case as compared to $92 for Wyoming's non-resident. Maybe I could of saved the $12 by waiting to buy the riprocal at the Gorge.

Pat

Can all of the licenses (UT non-resident, WY reciprocal) be bought locally there? If so, at the marina or in Manila? Or would it be easier to get them online?

Quote Originally Posted by 4449 View Post
    Can all of the licenses (UT non-resident, WY reciprocal) be bought locally there? If so, at the marina or in Manila? Or would it be easier to get them online?
    you can buy them at manila or the marina but read this he came from Oregon

Metal Manipulator

Metal Manipulator is offline Kokanee Forum Angler

My experience withe the AIS program. I traveld the I80 from Utah into Wyoming. All persons hauling watercraft must stop at the inspection station which happens to be the port of entry station. The inspection took 15 minutes. I received my copy of the report and the cable was applied to the trailer and boat. When launching the cable was to be kept on the boat. All I needed now is the tag which I thought I could get at the Buckboard Marina. THEY DO NOT SELL THE AIS DECALS AT THE BUCKBOARD MARINA. The Marina does not open until 8:00am. We waited around unroll 8:00am only to find that they did not sell the AIS decals. When then drove back to the Green River ACE Hardware store to buy the decal. This cost us another two hours. We did not launch the boat until 10:30am. Luckily the wind held off until 1:00 which enabled us to catch some Kokanee and some Lake Trout.

Quote Originally Posted by 4449 View Post
    If you buy the UT non-resident license on-line you will be able to print it at the time of purchase. When I bought my AIS sticker online it took about week to be mailed to me. After above discussion about the reciprocal, sounds like it's better to buy their.

I can't remember if they asked me for proof of residence when I bought my WY reciprocal at the Gas station in Mountain View couple of years ago. Do they ask? Just wondering if that was why I had to pay for the included Conservation when I bought the Reciprocal. It does ask if you are a resident or non-resident online.

Thanks Submoa for giving me info on the kokanee limit via PM. I called Utah fish & game and confirmed I can only have 3 kokanee in possession at any given time. So I'm a little peeved to drive 800 miles to stay for 4 days and only possess 3 fish. I understand that I could get trout to add to the number, but I was really hoping to come back with 12 kokanee (3 per day of my stay and assuming fishing is good) so I could have a smokefest back at home; I love smoked kokes. In my thinking, if I could verify my days of stay by my camping reservation, my bag limit could reflect that. What a bummer....

4449 You just need to bring the entire family with all their fishing license's.

smoke your fish at came every night

Quote Originally Posted by tprovins View Post
    smoke your fish at came every night
    Processing your catch in camp does not remove them from your in possession count.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

we do it every year and have been check and they don't stop us from taking another limit the next day

I'm not buying it! Processed - unprocessed, or in your freezer at home a 1,000 miles away they are still in Possesion and every fish cop in Wyo is going to ticket you for over possession. Don't take the chance guys. We all understand it sucks only keeping 3 of the best Kokes in the world, but that's what keeps this fishery what it is!!!! Read the regs and fully understand them before going out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbone View Post
    I'm not buying it! Processed - unprocessed, or in your freezer at home a 1,000 miles away they are still in Possesion and every fish cop in Wyo is going to ticket you for over possession. Don't take the chance guys. We all understand it sucks only keeping 3 of the best Kokes in the world, but that's what keeps this fishery what it is!!!! Read the regs and fully understand them before going out!
    Yup, I can not find it i the regulations that 'ready-for-table' does not count towards possession. Now, I find that interesting in that Utah does not count upland birds as part of passion limit if 'ready-for-table'.

On another point, Utah regs make it clear that you can continue fishing once you reach a possession limit. Is that the case in Wyoming?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast