Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time fishing Flaming Gorge

If you have two days limit in your possession and have been checked at Flaming Gorge by a Wildlife LE Officer, there is only one thing you'd have, and it's a ticket and they'll take the excessive fish. They do check, they will cite you. It's pretty black and white, they don't have a lot of room for officer discretion. I think we'd all like to see the law changed to some extend, so you don't drive all that way and can only take one days possession home. Kind of sucks. I've eaten Kokanee for breakfast, lunch and dinner so I can fish the next day legally. Good news is, the pup macs are good in the smoker as well. You can take home 8 of those (1 of which can be over 28"). Anyone thought of this? If he freezes them, overnights them home? Wife puts them in the freezer at his residence? Wouldn't that be legal? Don't know how you'd do it from Flaming Gorge, but just speaking crazy, looks like once their in your permanent residence your okay (if you're in UT and fish were caught in UT). Not that I'm an expert on the regs.
    Last edited by submoa; 06-01-2015 at 10:31 AM.

UT changed the regs this year to exclude what's in the freezer at your permanent residence. Unless this doesn't apply to Flaming Gorge?? I would guess this would only apply if you're catching the Kokes in UT not WY.
    Last edited by submoa; 06-01-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Cut and pasting from the UT 2015 Regulations.

Keeping fish at home
    Starting January 1, 2015, any fish species at your permanent residence will not count as part of your possession limit. Please keep in mind that this does NOT allow you to take home multiple daily limits of fish in one day. You may take home only one daily limit per day.

There are many States that have a minimum of 5 fish limits and many with a possession limit equal to 2 daily limits. With the number of Kokes in the Gorge I've just never been able to wrap my head around the 3 fish daily and in possession. Very frustrating and leads to making a lot of law breakers trying to get around it. I've bought licenses for members in my party that weren't fishing just to obtain their available limit. Personally, I think a 5 fish limit would allow someone to take home 10 - 20 lbs of Kokanee and alleviate a lot of the game playing that takes place.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Yup, I can not find it i the regulations that 'ready-for-table' does not count towards possession. Now, I find that interesting in that Utah does not count upland birds as part of passion limit if 'ready-for-table'.

On another point, Utah regs make it clear that you can continue fishing once you reach a possession limit. Is that the case in Wyoming?
    Wy Regs state harvesting (animals killed for human consumption), counts towards possession.

Quote Originally Posted by tprovins View Post
    we do it every year and have been check and they don't stop us from taking another limit the next day
    Who checked you? Wy g&f. Ut g&f, a forest ranger?. Because they seem to not know the regs. Smoked or not they still count as part of your limit.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Quote Originally Posted by 4449 View Post
    Thanks Submoa for giving me info on the kokanee limit via PM. I called Utah fish & game and confirmed I can only have 3 kokanee in possession at any given time. So I'm a little peeved to drive 800 miles to stay for 4 days and only possess 3 fish. I understand that I could get trout to add to the number, but I was really hoping to come back with 12 kokanee (3 per day of my stay and assuming fishing is good) so I could have a smokefest back at home; I love smoked kokes. In my thinking, if I could verify my days of stay by my camping reservation, my bag limit could reflect that. What a bummer....
    As a local that fishes the gorge, I do see your side as if it's worth it or not. When you can only take three kokes back home with you. I don't see why your pissed through. You know what the regs are before you come to the gorge to fish. It's not like you drove 800 miles ,just to find out that you can't take all your catch home with you That's just the way it is. that is how Wyo & Utah manage the koke at the gorge. I would't hold my breath on Wyo changing the regs any time soon, so that more out of staters can take more fish home.

Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    UT changed the regs this year to exclude what's in the freezer at your permanent residence. Unless this doesn't apply to Flaming Gorge?? I would guess this would only apply if you're catching the Kokes in UT not WY.
    So let me get this right. If i go to the gorge and harvest three kokes,and take them to my home in Utah. The three kokes that are in my freezer at my house, do not count a being part of total fish in possession? It would't matter if the fish were caught in Utah or Wyo.

I spent part of my Sunday watching taped fishing shows and one was about catching Walleye in Ontario, Canada. There daily limit was 1 between 13" & 17" and 1 over 24". They kept going on and on about how it was easy to catch 40 fish a day and yet the limit was only 2. Some times fish management just makes ya wanna shake your head.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I spent part of my Sunday watching taped fishing shows and one was about catching Walleye in Ontario, Canada. There daily limit was 1 between 13" & 17" and 1 over 24". They kept going on and on about how it was easy to catch 40 fish a day and yet the limit was only 2. Some times fish management just makes ya wanna shake your head.
    Those walleye grow super slow up there. A 24" walleye might be 10+ years old. When the lakes were first being fished, people regularly hauled coolers of fish home, and the fishing quickly went downhill. Now most of the lakes up there have very restrictive limits--you can eat all the fish you want while you are there, but only bring a few fish back with you. And low and behold, the fishing is now really good. I would not be too quick to judge without some background knowledge....

I'm not pissed, more like disappointed. Not only do I want to experience fishing there, but it would be nice to have full smoker. I understand the rules and will abide by them. I don't expect the law will change, not unless a nuclear bomb goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
    Those walleye grow super slow up there. A 24" walleye might be 10+ years old. When the lakes were first being fished, people regularly hauled coolers of fish home, and the fishing quickly went downhill. Now most of the lakes up there have very restrictive limits--you can eat all the fish you want while you are there, but only bring a few fish back with you. And low and behold, the fishing is now really good. I would not be too quick to judge without some background knowledge....
    Got the full background knowledge watching the show. My point was that any lake with easy 40 fish days doesn't really need a 2 fish a day limit. And I won't even begin the argument about how many fish are really killed on catch and release outings like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    So let me get this right. If i go to the gorge and harvest three kokes,and take them to my home in Utah. The three kokes that are in my freezer at my house, do not count a being part of total fish in possession? It would't matter if the fish were caught in Utah or Wyo.
    I don't know about fish caught in WY. I cut and pasted the verbiage right from the 2015 UT fishing regs. Check for yourself it's on page 3, I could be wrong.

On a side note, I believe most of the State of UT has gone to two daily possessions of fish. Flaming Gorge, Strawberry and maybe others were excluded.
    Last edited by submoa; 06-02-2015 at 01:42 AM.

found this on page 19 of the Utah guide book. It's looks like Strawberry and the gorge are both except from the 2 possession rule. This might help to clear up some of the confusion about how many limits of gorge kokes can be kept.

Daily limits and
    possession limits
    Residents and nonresidents who are under
    12 years of age may fish without a license and
    take a full possession limit.
    Starting Jan. 1, in addition to one legal
    daily limit of fish, you may also possess one additional
    limit of fish as long as those fish meet
    all of the following requirements:
    •They were caught on a previous day.
    •They have been cleaned and gutted
    (entrails removed).
    •They are a legal species and limit for the
    waterbody where you were fishing.
    The above rule applies to most waterbodies,
    where you may have a maximum of two
    daily limits in your possession at any one
    time. The only exceptions to this rule are at
    Strawberry Reservoir and Flaming Gorge,
    where you may have only one daily limit in
    your possession.
    When calculating your possession limit,
    please remember the following rules:
    •Any trout, salmon or grayling not immediately
    released is part of your possession
    limit.

From what I was told by fish and game on the Utah side once the fish has been cook or smoke it doesn't go against your possession limit any more thats what I was talking about now if thats different in WY I don't know. They told use that last year well we smoking a batch above the docks. If thats wrong I was tolled wrong.

I think everyone is clear that you can only take one days limit for possession from the Gorge. The UT proclamation however states once you get them home and in the freezer, they no longer count towards your possession limit. Again, for UT waters, how that applies to WY I have no idea.

Just came back from my first time fishing the Gorge from 6-24 to 6-25. As far as the drive, it was a nightmare getting there and going back. But to my report- All

the days were brutally hot, close to 100 degrees I believe. Using the info from this forum, we primarily fished the Anvil and Buckboard areas. We tried the Pipeline

and Linwood Bay areas too, but we just trolled through. All the macks caught were released. Between the two of us, it went like this:

Day 1: (1) 19" koke, about 5-6 macks, one being about 6 lbs. We were at depth of 48-52 feet in the Pipeline to Anvil area. I caught all my fish on a green hoochie

behind a 5" Double D dodger and a scent chamber filled with Bloody Tuna/anise. When the bite slowed, I tried numerous other lures, colors and a larger dodger, but the

bite was off.

Day 2: (1) 17" koke, about 5 macks between 2-3 lbs. in the Anvil area. I caught the koke and some of the macks on the green hoochie and my buddy caught the others on

various other lures which I wasn't keeping track of. Went back out late afternoon and trolled the Linwood area (east end) and picked up a 8" koke which was released.

Also in that area, picked up a mack and a 14" koke. Again, using my go-to green hoochie at 50 feet depth.

Day 3: Buckboard area near an island that had a lot of seagulls and other birds on the east end of it. The island was to the south of the boat ramp and we trolled in

an east-west direction. (1) 14" koke, (2) 18" kokes and 5 or so macks. Also caught a 16" rainbow. Again, I used my green hoochie and my buddy used something else.

About 50 feet depth. One of these kokes was larger than the one caught on day 1; it was the largest I've ever caught, I'm guessing about 4 lbs. The other 18" koke

was the largest my buddy ever caught.

Day 4: Buckboard, same area as described above. Only two macks caught and released. I used an orange/pink hoochie with a silver smile blade ahead of it. One caught

at 45 feet the other at 65 feet. Kokes were gone which spelled the end of our trip.

In regards to the fishing, the kokes were amazing due to their size; CA has nothing on FG. We laughed at all the macks we caught. We couldn't believe how often they

got hooked. Normally, we would have bragged to our other buddies if we did that in CA, but we were specific on catching kokes.

Now to the nightmare which I will summarize: We left about 5 hours late due to my miscalculation on dates. Buddy calls me up as he was headed toward me and said a

leaf spring broke on his boat trailer. Being that I was in the Sacramento area, I got the info on his trailer and made a bunch of calls to boat and trailer shops to

locate a replacement; no luck. I gathered tools then drove 50 miles to my buddy. He found a trailer shop about 4 miles from him. He needed a block of wood to insert

into the axle to limp it to the shop. I went to Lowe's and bought an 8' 4x4 wood post and a hand saw. It was 95 degrees. The wood was cut and duct taped to the

axle. We make it to the shop and stayed there for several hours and had two replacement springs installed. Drove for most of the night but had to stop at a rest stop

in NV to sleep for a while.

Next morning we were on our way again. Almost out of NV and the right rear tire on his truck blows. Spare gets put on and arrangements were made to get two rear

tires installed in Salt Lake City (didn't want one oddball tire). Get to the shop and tires get put on. Finally, get to Lucerne and fishing portion begins.

Start heading back to CA. Prior to Reno, buddy feels the trailer vibrating. Stop and see one of the tires was cupped badly. We believed it was coming apart

internally. It was 6:45 pm and find a tire shop just about to close. Buddy has 3 new tires installed (spare was also replaced because he had to get a different size

than the orginal tires; it looked like the replacement leaf springs did not bring the ride height to specs bringing the tires too close to the fenders).

My buddy's luck... his leaf spring breaks on the road and he's only 4 miles away from a shop that handled the repair. His prior arrangements made while on the road

made the two tire replacement streamlined the delay in Salt Lake City. After deciding to stop in Reno to find a tire for his trailer, we took the nearest exit and

found a shop a 1/2 mile from the highway. Wow...

Other than the breakdowns, the trip was a success. It took 34 years to get this off my bucket list. I want to come back, but the drive was way too long. If I get a

boat again (mine was stolen several years back), I would do the drive with a bit more planning. I want to thank all to replied to my original post. All the info

gathered made the AIS stuff and licensing easy; I was fortunate to have found this forum.

sorry for the trouble but glad you made it and had a decent weekend none the less!

I know the 3 fish limit sounds restrictive but that limit is why Flaming Gorge is the best Kokanee fishery in the west if not the USA. It has been unusually slow lately but there are times when it's hard to keep lures in the water. Doubles and triples all day on 3 lb fish !! And the size of the fish in August can be amazing. Sorry you had a bad drive but the Gorge really is a special place.

Whoa, sorry to hear about the bad luck on the trip. I was there the week before you and the last couple of days it started to heat up. My wife caught a 3.62 lb Koke out of Anvil the 1st day we were their and I caught a 3.74 lb Koke at Lowe Canyon on the last day, was hoping to crack the 4 lb barrier this year. When we were passing out of Winnemucka the therm in my truck read 104, that was on Friday 6/26, tough on the trailer tires and I would not drive faster than 59. I kept looking back at my trailer tires in the rear view mirror. It is a long trip and I'm from San Jose, but it's worth it.
    Last edited by Walldiver; 07-01-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Bummer on the trip. I was up there as well. It was slower than normal fishing for sure. Water has come up quite a bit which is affecting the fishing. The heat isn't probably helping either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12