Thread: Scents

Default Scents

I know there have been a few questions about what scents we like and what kind to use. I'm wondering if you can use too much on a lure , tube or hoochie? I often wonder if I have put enough on or maybe too much . Can you put too much scent on? All opinions are welcome.

i have the same question as well. I tend to put a dab inside the hoochie and a dab at the top of the dodger. Also, does everyone run all rigs with one scent til you find what works, or a different scent on each rig till you find out what is working?

As far as what I like, my fav. is the DNA kokanee scent in the blue label bottle. Fresh garlic diced and thrown in has been very productive as well.
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Also, how long do you guys keep your corn for? A can is a lot, so I usually split it in two. Half I split between my scents and half i save in a container for next time. I tend to throw away the scented corn after a trip.
    So, How long do you save scented corn? What about the leftover unscented?

You can definitely put too much scent on the LURE. Some lures don't react well with scent. It kills the action of lures like flies and hoochies. Unless you are fishing blades/spoons, keep the scent on the corn and not the lure. I'll fish my scented corn for a couple of months as long as it has been refrigerated properly.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I agree just the corn

I'll run different scent on each pole to the koks tell me what they want my favorite are crawdad/anis they love crawdad/mikes Kokanee killer for me works great and tuna oil bumble bee on the can only the oil.I will drain and filter the oil and use that way. I don't use garlic a lot usually these work great for me.Hope this helps.

I only use scent on corn. Like Super says, it can affect the action of lures. Also, when using plastics (i.e. hoochies, beads, etc.) the scent can break them down. If you don't deep clean the lures, eventually the lures will stick together, melt, and be worthless. This is especially true when you put scents INSIDE the hoochie. I also don't like to put scent on dodgers either because it can stick and degrade the plating on them. Again, this can all be avoided if you deep clean your lures/dodger. The best way to prevent breakdown and corrosion caused by scents is to avoid contact. Scent only the corn and you're good to go.
    I also don't believe that you can have too much scent. I prefer to leave the biggest scent trail possible to draw in fish. To accomplish this, I will not only scent the corn, but I will also put some scent on my DR ball. I have even seen some people use scent pads or bags attached to DR balls that slowly release scent.
    When trying to decide what scent to use, I will do one of two things. I like to change only one thing at a time to see how it affects the bite. 1) use two of the same lure/dodgers with different scents. This tells you what scent the fish are keying in on. 2) use different lures/dodgers with the same scent. This let's you know what lures/dodgers the fish want. I usually start with #2 (different lures/dodgers) to find what combo to use. After I have found what combo works best, I switch to #1 (same lure/dodger with different scents). If you use a systematic approach, it helps you to discover what works best.
    For corn, it should go without saying that shoe peg corn is key. That as not been mentioned yet, but I thought I should mention it. I always split up my corn. I'll take one can of corn and put it into 6 or so of those small Tupperware conatiners. Scent some, and leave some plain. This way I have a variety to use at my disposal. Whatever I don't use, I refrigerate for later. It lasts longer than you might think. I have used corn for up to a month before. If the corn has been in there for too long or is questionable, toss it. At less than $2 a can, most of us can afford to use new corn.
    As far as what scent to use, the sky is the limit. Last season my go to scent was bloody tuna. Crawfish, anise, krill, garlic and some home made concoctions (mixtures of previously listed scents) were tied for second. Hope that helps answer some of your questions. Good luck.
    Last edited by gfakkema; 02-28-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Just a quick note Oregon Tackle came out with a scent chamber on abead chain results have been extremely positive for Salmon. I plan on trying them this years for Kokanee you inject a little scent into the chamber good for about 20 minutes just thought I pass this along since we are talking scents.

Oregon Tackle has one but then so does Berkley I think thats the one I use line runs through it. it wicks out. I will just dab a bit of scent on the corn at times but I also have been known to soak some corn in it as well.

http://www.llcote.com/berkley-powerb...-vent-spinner/

If I'm feeling really adventerious I will put a dab on behind both ears!!!! Some times even a smig in my chips nothing better than shrimp flavored BBQ chips.
    Last edited by Ridgeratt; 03-01-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Use to put scent on my dodgers all the time, but don't do it very much at all any more. If things are really slow I may still do it. Never put scent on the hootchies or spinners. But most of the time the corn scent is enough. I keep my corn on ice most of the time and will use it for several trips, at least a few weeks. Scent chamber looks interesting, may give it a go.

thanks for all the tips, I will take them all to heart. I just recently started to turn a profit in my business and was able to start affording toys like boats and stuff last year, so im still new to all of this. any tips are welcome. Its funny how different opinions on hear differ from the "professionals" on youtube. I tend to believe people that fish in my back yard, then the people that are in the corporations pockets. I am waiting for the truck to warm up, than am heading out to a local spot that produces, but not like the killer area 2 and a half hours away. It has been really slow, so hopefully can pull a few rabbits out of my hat.