Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kokanee Rod - don't "need" a new one, but...

I will have to second or third the on the Tica rods. Use them for both long lining and down rigger fishing. The ultra-light tip and slow action seems to work and for $65, they are tough to beat.

I'm a kokanee rookie. I have caught a few but not many. I want to target them more seriously this year in Utah. I have plenty of spinning gear and trolling gear for everything else. But I don't have any light/ultra light gear for kokanee like most seem to prefer. So I am wondering about getting more gear. A guy can never have to much gear right? Said no wife ever. So I am going nuts trying to decide what to get. Trolling vs spinning setups, glass vs graphite, light vs ultra light, line counter vs baitcaster vs round reel type like Tica or Calcutta. I can't see spending over a 100 dollar bill for a rod or reel and I would like to stay away from China made products if possible. Where are the lamiglas, ticas, velocity and okuma stuff made? Any warranties on the nicer rods? Thanks for any help. Going to order my second downrigger soon and looking to order up some gear here shortly. Thanks for any and all opinions and insight.

It goes without saying that finding a sub-$100 rod and reel combo not made in China is impossible. Tica, low-end Lamaglass, etc. are all Chinese, staying sub-$300 is possible…

That said, you can search Ebay for an old Fenwick rod (blank (or FS 75)) and build a nice rod and pick up an Ambassador 5000 reel if you don’t want Chinese/Taiwan made.

I use Tica’s with Ambassador 5000’s and will be switching to their Kokanee special reels just to save the finish in my Abu’s.

Get a Diawa spinmatic, my guess is they are made in China, so if that upsets you then prepare to pay more for American made rod. The spinmatic is a great trolling down rigger rod for kokes and very reasonably priced. Look at a pawn shop for some older Abu reels. I lucked into a couple older models made in Sweden, so again not American, for like $40/each. Great little reels. With that setup you are under $80 for what I consider to be a fantastic koke trolling setup.

I don't know who started this thread, but it's sure cost me a LOT of money!!! SuperD got me going on the Lamiglass rods, bought, for simplicity on not remembering the exact JJ type info, the red one and white one. I'm quite happy with them. My wife has the Okuma SST Kokanee rod and has had it for about 3 years now and it's a very nice rod for the money (around $59 - I actually just bought one of those rods a few weeks ago too, for our "guest rod")

Since I'm OUT OF CONTROL right now, I also just bought a new walleye rod this last week - broke it in yesterday on a banner day!!! (like the rod)

I pickedup the Cabelas IM6 pro Kokanee rod 7'-6" ($49) and the Cabelas depthmaster III 15 reel on sale ($39 reg. 59) 2 weeks ago and am very happy with it. Infact the wife liked it well enough she told me to go get a second. :-)

I started with the Lamiglass Jared Johnson 7'6" (red) and I like it. I've looked at the 8" (white) rods in the same brand and like the little bit more backbone that it offers. I also have a 7'6" and 8' St. Croix Kokanee rods that has a similar slow tip but a little more backbone again. I find myself using the St Croix rods most of the time.
    I always troll with downriggers and never pull flashers , only dodgers or fish flash.
    Take time before time takes you

Yeah, thanks guys, I too have been printing more greenbacks lately to outfit the new to me boat. I've picked up 3 new ($43 each) & traded (2) 12# DR weights) for a good used Lamiglas CG 7' rods that I paired with my Abu 5500' s & 5501's.

Although the Abu's feel way too heavy on these lightweight rods I'll probably look for lighter reels later on.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHDR View Post
    Yeah, thanks guys, I too have been printing more greenbacks lately to outfit the new to me boat. I've picked up 3 new ($43 each) & traded (2) 12# DR weights) for a good used Lamiglas CG 7' rods that I paired with my Abu 5500' s & 5501's.

Although the Abu's feel way too heavy on these lightweight rods I'll probably look for lighter reels later on.
    I am pretty happy with my Abu 5000’s.

I purchased two of the new Tica KT100 Kokanee reels and took one back. There are, in my mind, pro’s and con’s to these reels:

Pro’s

• Light weight
    • Clicker
    • Holds enough 10-12# for any Kok’s
    • Good drag
    • Star drag has positive detents

Con’s

• Stationary level wind when letting out line (narrow spool so it is not too much of an issue unless you count using the level wind mechanism)
    • Quiet clicker (way too quiet)

For me, the con’s outweighed the pro’s.

Of late I have been using 60’s era Red Ambassador 5000B’s (B=Buzzer). I have taken them apart, cleaned and lubed them, and replaced the drags with carbon coated with Cal’s purple grease. I put a black bobber stop at 80’ and a red one at 100’ and don’t worry about counters that are never accurate anyway.

well I spent most of this morning changing out all the line from years past on the Abu's and putting on fresh 12 pound Izorline.
    I think I'm ready for Summit lake this weekend.
    Oh and forgot to mention that a clicker is worthless to me as I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear squat in the other..... Unless I can find some way to have the fish alarm on the rod holder text me on my dumb phone while it is set to vibrate.... yeah, that's the ticket!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokanee rods 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	537.1 KB 
ID:	8100
    Last edited by STLHDR; 06-12-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHDR View Post
    well I spent most of this morning changing out all the line from years past on the Abu's and putting on fresh 12 pound Izorline.
    I think I'm ready for Summit lake this weekend.
    I finished lubing and changing the drags on my last 2 Red 5000’s after work except I am cheap and used Trilene Big Game 12# on my 4 reels.

Good luck this weekend!!

I use BBG 20# on all my Salmon trolling reels, it's tough stuff. But if I'm casting I use 12-15# Izorline.

Thanks.
    Last edited by STLHDR; 06-16-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123