Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kokanee Rod - don't "need" a new one, but...

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
    My wife gave up checking me out. Everytime UPS shows up, she doesn't even roll her eyes anymore. I like the looks of that reel you purchased. I will check back at the end of the summer and you can let me know how it worked out on the water.

By the way, with gas prices where they are at, and if they stay there, I am thinking Gorge this year. I will be traveling with my wife only, unless one of my boys comes along.
    I have a visual Dallas of wife rolling her eyes when you do the meet & greet of UPS driver. The same visual that got Dave when UPS delivery of a stainless smoker(a future block party coming) over the holidays. But who's keeping score, right?

I fell victim to a pair of RMT Velocity combo rods & reels a year ago. I use them a lot in the local fisheries, very happy with them. They have a newer heavier rod this year that might be chunking out my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    I fell victim to a pair of RMT Velocity combo rods & reels a year ago. I use them a lot in the local fisheries, very happy with them. They have a newer heavier rod this year that might be chunking out my pocket.
    I felt the salmon rod at the Sac ISE show and loved it. If I would be staying in CA, I would have snapped it up.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Those velocity salmon Rods are sweet. They will load up in your riggers just like a koke rod! They will be at the SLC ISE show. They are available in both spinning and casting and various lengths. They will also be great for handling the Willard wipers along with your planer boards.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I started the season last year with a new tica rod. by the end of the season I had 2 in each color (6) http://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-790-t...ew-series.aspx
    I just know stuff...

Dave, did you purchase the left handed reel? In looking at the questions answered on Amazon.com, it says they have a left handed model (has an L at the end of the number) but every time I try to add it to cart, it won't do a L model.... did you face this, or did you order a right handed model?

Thanks.

I ordered the right handed reel. It arrived today. However, packing slip said that my rod had been back ordered. When I was doing the Amazon search for the reel, there was a separate ad for the left handed model and it cost a little bit more than the right hand model.

http://www.amazon.com/DAIWA-AccuDept...eft+hand+reels
    Last edited by SuperD; 01-31-2015 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks. Ya, I was able to pull up the left handed model, but I couldn't figure out why it was about $30 more? LOL, oh well.... I'll keep thinking about that. Bummer about the rod being back-ordered. Always _______ me off when Amazon.com tells me it's in stock - 5 -8 days away and then find out on delivery day it's not coming...

I have 4ea of the Velocity Maximo reels I bought a year ago at the SAC ISE still in their boxes. Waiting for right opportunity to marry them with casting rods but can't seem to pass up additional trolling rods/reels combos. Do have time on my side since I'm awaiting my grandsons to grow up some to present these as gifts. They are a little young to show proper care right now but are growing fast.

SuperD, have you heard anymore on your rod? I went ahead and ordered one and they didn't say anything about a back order, just gave me some vague range date down the road when it might show up...

Bogey,
    I found another source for the rod at the same price so I ordered it from there as well. That rod is supposed to arrive by tomorrow. If it does, I'll simply cancel the Amazon rod.

Good for you! I've obviously lost my internet detective skills, as I thought I checked pretty good and only saw Amazon.com with that price. If it weren't for the fact they are so darn handy - I'd just totally give up on them!

I started with a reel, Shimano Tekota 300LC, then I needed a light casting rod and found a Lamiglass CG70 DR. I put 30lb braided line on it because in the late summer I will put it on a salmon rod. Hope a little light mono leader will be sufficient for catching Kokes. Can't decide whether to get another 300lc or a 500lc to fish for macks, bulls, and salmon/steelhead.

Mike

Bogey,
    It is going to be the right rod.

That's GOOD to hear! Any chance you can tell me the place where you re-ordered? I re-checked my email from Amazon.com and they are giving me a February 26th - March 7th time frame!!! LOL, ya, I know I'm out of control right now, but I read a lot about that reel you talked about and it seems pretty darn nice = Cabela's matched the $133 price for me and it got ordered earlier today!

Good old Wal Mart!

Wow! Thanks (they were who I used for the Cabela's price match too)

Last year I made a jigging rod for Kokanee. I used a St. Croix SC 1V graphite 3 wt. 2 piece fly rod 6'6" (blank wt. was .7 oz) and put on minima guides and a skeleton spinning reel seat. Wt. of finished rod is 1.9 oz and I use an UL Pflueger reel (5 oz.) and use 1 lb braid. The rod is like a feather in your hand and is good for jigging but probably not DR. I also caught some large lake trout on that rod jigging for Kokanee that put up a great fight. 1/2 oz. Zzinger/buzz bombs are the heaviest jigs that I use.

I went to the Portland Sportsman's Show last weekend and you guessed it......came home with a new rod, imagine that! Bought one from Crystal Basin Tackle. Took it fishing today: great rod for sure. You can read my post on Hayden lake for today.
    Last edited by downriggeral; 02-15-2015 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    Go checkout the rods and reels that Velocity Fishing international will have at the Portland show. You will not be disappointed.
    I'm waiting for the Salt Lake show, I will talk to you there, but I have had my eye on that, Daiwa Accudepth Low Profile Linecounter reel and the Velocity 7'9" Elite Blue Glass Rod

sounds like a winner. look forward to it.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by liketrolling View Post
    I'm waiting for the Salt Lake show, I will talk to you there, but I have had my eye on that, Daiwa Accudepth Low Profile Linecounter reel and the Velocity 7'9" Elite Blue Glass Rod
    Try not to wet yourself when you get it in your hands, that's a great set up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Try not to wet yourself when you get it in your hands, that's a great set up!!!
    What line did you put on your Daiwa Accudepth Low Profile Linecounter reel.
    I like P-Line Fluorocarbon are Floroclear.
    I read where the linecounter was set up for 10lb test. Is the line counter hard to set up? I have tried to find somthing on You tube but can't find anything.

Rocky Mountain just put the new Jared Johnson Velocity rod up on their site.

'Ninja Series" Hybrid composite rod. 3wt, 4-10. $99 MSRP.

Attachment 7796
    Attachment 7797

Quote Originally Posted by liketrolling View Post
    What line did you put on your Daiwa Accudepth Low Profile Linecounter reel.
    I like P-Line Fluorocarbon are Floroclear.
    I read where the linecounter was set up for 10lb test. Is the line counter hard to set up? I have tried to find somthing on You tube but can't find anything.
    I use Big Game 10 lbs test line on all my trout & Koke reels. I add fluorocarbon leaders if chasing line shy fish. The reel instructions read like it is a computer but I don't intend to do all that programming. It didn't seem hard to zero out which is the only thing that I think I'd use frequently.

Check out Okuma. Great rods for the price!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast