Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Merwin "2015 "

Thank you for the information!! My buddy will be happy that he has a fighting chance to get some Kokanee and still stay close to the launch....at least until he gets his bigger motor and can venture farther.

I am afraid this is going to be a hot topic this year, here is some useful information about lake levels and what the minimum is for launching, I don't know for sure but it seems like Merwin's figures are a bit exaggerated so don't shoot the messenger if you go and find you cant launch. Oh and don't plan on having a dock to use at those levels either.

http://tdn.com/lifestyles/drought-th...721429644.html

ARIEL — The drought is putting a squeeze on PacifiCorp, as the utility juggles competing uses for the streamflow of the North Fork of the Lewis River.

The snowpack in the drainage is only 10 percent to 20 percent of normal, according to Frank Shrier, principal scientist for PacifiCorp, at May’s meeting of the Lewis River Aquatic Coordination Committee.

“We’re looking at really poor conditions unless we get a cool, wet summer,’’ he said. “By July, the inflows are only expected to be 650 cubic feet per second.’’

PacifiCorp has to balance between:

Keeping winter steelhead spawning nests downstream of Merwin Dam covered until the young fish emerge from the gravel in mid-July.
    Having enough streamflow for the big population of wild fall chinook to spawn during autumn.
    Keeping enough water in Merwin, Yale and Swift reservoirs to keep at least one boat ramp functional.

The federal license calls for a minimum flow of 2,700 cubic feet per second at Merwin Dam through June 30.

However, the Lewis River Flow Coordination Committee and Washington Department of Ecology agreed in April to reduce the flow at Merwin to 2,300 cubic feet per second.

The committee includes NOAA Fisheries, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife among others.

“The (dam) operators have asked to drop flows even more and we’ve said ‘no,’’’ Shrier said. “Those steelhead redds barely have enough water now…We can’t drop the flows until the steelhead are done.’’

Merwin Reservoir is 9 feet below full pool. Yale Reservoir is down 10 feet. Swift Reservoir is within 2 feet of full.

“The reservoirs are dropping and will continue to drop,’’ Shrier said. “We’re losing about half a foot a day in the reservoirs.’’

There’s about 20 to 25 feet of drawdown left between the three reservoirs before boat launching will not be possible on at least one of them.

The boat ramp at Swift Forest Camp is usable to about 25 feet below full pool.

Yale Reservoir has four ramps. Yale Park can be used as low as 21 feet below full pool. Saddle Dam is dry at 15 feet below full pool.

Merwin Reservoir has two public ramps. Speelyai Bay can be used as low as 25.6 feet down. Cresap Bay can be used at 29.6 feet below full pool, but there are times of the year when the park must be closed due to overwintering of elk or elk calving season.

But the most valuable of the resources of the North Lewis may be neither the wild steelhead nor summer boating and fishing.

The North Fork of the Lewis River is home of the largest population of wild-spawning fall chinook salmon in the lower Columbia basin.

In 2014, 25,800 wild spawning fall chinook returned to lower Columbia tributaries, with the majority in the Lewis downstream of Merwin Dam.

The forecast for 2015 is 19,300.

Without sufficient flows in the fall, the area for those fish to spawn is reduced.

The settlement agreement for the North Fork of the Lewis River hydroelectric dams requires 2,500 cubic feet per second from Oct. 16-31, then 4,200 cubic feet per second in November and the first half of December.

“I’m still hoping for the historic pattern where we have a cool, wet summer with El Nino,’’ Shrier said. “But if we keep going at this rate we could dry up all the ramps unless we can get some relief on the minimum flows. This drought is possibly a far different condition than the normal patterns we see.’’
    Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

Well with it being a 2+ hour drive for me, how is it launching wise? PM's welcomed

Anyone doing any good lately as the water keeps getting lower and lower?

Good near dam. 65'. LJ silver dodger with added stripes of melon UV tape and glow tape on both sides. Red snubber in front of dodger. Both 1-1/2" UV Needlefish with melon UV tape on bottom and 1-1/2 silver Apex with melon UV tape on bottom were catchers. Many squawfish (I caught more than a dozen) on South side that get bait before kokanee. Large kokanee and some just starting to turn red. 6-9 AM is good. I fish alone so I need help retrieving my boat on my no-drive-on trailer due to the low water.

Going to be there Tuesday through Thursday this week, will give some reports of my first time fishing here. Should be interesting since my partner will not be able to make it.

Open seat!!!! Hit me up with a PM...

Jim Sr.

20 July 2015. Slow at Dam, and was told it was slow on the 19th. but caught 2 nice ones at 50'. Later caught 7 more from Spellyai West along North shore also at 50'. As usual using a 2"Needlefish with UV tape on bottom and single factory hook replaced with double Gama #4.

Well here is my report for the 22nd & 23rd at Merwin. Well all I can say about Merwin Lake is..... WOW!!!! It is a top notch fishing destination for anyone who wants to catch fish, it's so easy even a Caveman can do it!!! I stopped in the evening before I intended to fish (takes me a bit to do things by myself anymore) just to make sure I was at the right place. Speelyai ramp, check, talk to some old timers to get the dope on the area & tackle, check, spent the last remaining minuets till the loss of consciousness pondering the thought of if they (the two old timers) were pulling my leg because I slipped up and told them it was my first time here, check....

I always go with my gut when it comes to fishing, no matter the species so I did not make a bee line it to the dam (sorry guys) but ran till I saw a boat "HOOK UP". I know, but honestly I did not technically "LOW HOLE" the guy....... 1/4 mile is safe distance so deployed the tried and true KokaneeJim offering (my creation from experienced outings) on the Port DR at 43' and another rig which I'll call the "Sad Smily" in blue, hence the name sad at 51'.... I did adjust the electric DR to the depth of the fish finder was showing both days & WHAMMO!!!!! Trolled for 5 mins and the Starboard rigger rod started acting up and sure enough it was a pike minnow... Re thinking my stopping point to fish choice I stayed nad 3 mins later anothe pole dancer on the starboard side, 10" Koke this time. In the next hour and 1/2 it was pretty consistent for the 10-12" fish on the starboard side, then NOTHING!!!!! 2 hours of trolling the Honey Hole with no success I was trolling back towards the ramp in hopes of picking up 3 for the limit and got bit 3 more times by the linebacker school.... 3, 14"rs came to my net within 20 minutes around the point before Spellyai bay.

Thursday I knew better than to go back to the same place that I had had success the day before, but I did & wasted 2 hours for 2 10"rs..... Went to the point and it was "LIGHTS OUT FISHIN" that ended around 12:30 with another limit. I had two back to back doubles and landed them all, it must have been a scene out of an old comedy movie for the spectators trolling by & cheering me on. Look he already has 3 fish in the net & is going to net another one!!!!

The totals were 31 fish hooked, 3 seagull food and 20 landed for the two days, not too bad for my first time...

Two epic days of fishing a new lake and having success has lifted my spirits as far as putting meat in the freezer and memories that no camera can do justice. SO, maybe the next time I post an open seat, some of you might think of calling in sick for a day or two.....

Attachment 8169Attachment 8170Attachment 8171Attachment 8172Attachment 8173

Good for you ,STLHDR wish I could have been there, just dodging too many curve balls right now to venture that far
    at this time. Tight lines Kokapaw out.

congrats on a successful trip, nice when a plan works. We'll be back in mid-August while everyone else up here are chasing pink salmon. Looking forward to it!
    Angling the Northwest one fish at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokapaw View Post
    Good for you ,STLHDR wish I could have been there, just dodging too many curve balls right now to venture that far
    at this time. Tight lines Kokapaw out.
    May venture out to Alder Lake soon, have to get some reliable reports first though and you are welcome to tag along but be warned I'll out you to work on the boat... LOL

Jim Sr.

You won't believe it. I'm literally shaking the cob webs out of the boat tomorrow after having moved into a new house last year and having a fun, but no break from the children summer vacation this month. If you see me floating by with a huge grin on my face and no kids in the boat say "Hi". -Mack
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Had a new experience at the lake today. Seagulls dive bombed a nice koke as I was reeling it in. I didn't mind losing the fish, but the crafty birds snapped the line and made off with a new Vance's dodger and lure. The bite was good early then tapered off.

Had one of those stupid birds grab a Rapala once got a mouth full of treble hooks he was a hand full to get unhooked as you might imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by MackPrince View Post
    Had a new experience at the lake today. Seagulls dive bombed a nice koke as I was reeling it in. I didn't mind losing the fish, but the crafty birds snapped the line and made off with a new Vance's dodger and lure. The bite was good early then tapered off.
    Melanie and I had an osprey grab a koke from us while reeling in at Summit Lake a couple of years ago, wasn't far behind the canoe, either. fortunately the spoon we were using didn't stick the bird, just got away with the fish. Worth the fish for the visual. Bob R

Quote Originally Posted by bob r View Post
    Melanie and I had an osprey grab a koke from us while reeling in at Summit Lake a couple of years ago, wasn't far behind the canoe, either. fortunately the spoon we were using didn't stick the bird, just got away with the fish. Worth the fish for the visual. Bob R
    Fished merwin on 8-4. Ended up with 15. We only had one double all day. One here one there.very nice fish only one 12 incher. 55 to 60ft on the DR. Hoochies and arrow flash dodgers.

Fished 8/10 a good bite early. Ended up with 17 all of the fish were caught between spleyia and woodland park. 55 to 60 ft in the am.in the afternoon 63 to 65 did best. Dodgers and hoochies with tuna soaked corn.

I'm heading up to Merwin on Monday any recent reports on the Kokanee bite??

Headed to Yale Saturday morning but to much wind for the wife, so headed to Merwin. Merwin was flat as a table when we got there. Motored out of the ramp and dropped the riggers down. Trolled for an hour and only one bump! Whats up? Dropped the riggers down another 10 feet and 15 minutes later had the mother of all hits, popped it off the clip and off to the races it went, definitely not a kokanee. 10 minutes later in the net it went. 5#4oz. trout!! Beauty so down the riggers went and we stayed in the area hoping for some kokes but wouldn't you know it if another one of those big yahoos didn't hit the same rod again. My wife brings up both long lines and before she could get the other downrigger rod in it starts shaking. She pops it off and NO WAY!! A double on big uns! Biggest was 7#7oz.....Was hoping for a pile of kokanee but wind got us off lake at noon but a good day I guess.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0505.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	8245
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0508.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	8246
    Last edited by Hawgon; 08-26-2015 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

Nice work!

Great report & Nice Haul!!!
    The only fish besides Kokes I have caught there were pikeminnows.... Nary a trout bit anything....

My wife and I took our kayak out on Friday 9/18/15, for a little exercise, while I tested out my new rod holder setup. We launched from Cresap Bay, eventually made our way to Speelyai Bay, and then circled back keeping ourselves roughly 200 yards off the South Shore while we headed back to Cresap. I managed to catch 2 pike minnows, and a nice Kokanee.

I don't have a downrigger, so I used a 3 oz weight dropping my flashers and wedding ring spinner back 110 feet tipped with plain white shoepeg corn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.18.15 Kayak Trolling Kokanee.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	8280  
    Last edited by Koka; 09-23-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123