Thread: Kalamala Lake Coldstream Kokanee Spawning Action

Default Kalamala Lake Coldstream Kokanee Spawning Action

Found out my family and uncle and aunt were in the Vernon area this weekend so I told them they should go check out the stream and see if any Kokanee with running yet. This iphone video is all thanks to my Dad who went down to Coldstream to check out the spawning Kokanee salmon in the creek. Turns out they have already started to come into the streams in good numbers and there are some big fish showing up. Some monsters for the average kokanee fisherman. These things look more like their ocean swimming cousins the sockeye salmon rather than the land locked version. The kokes don't have far to swim to spawn though and we're hoping they have an amazing year to continue the cycle of life and keep kokanee in Beautiful Kalamalka lake for years to come. Check out the great shots of these amazing little fish as they prepare to spawn. Thanks for watching. Hope you're enticed to put kokanee fishing on your bucket list!

Videos-
    On the spawning beds doing some rock polishing:

Kokanee on their way up to the beds:

--great pictures thanks... did they see the world record kokanee that none of us caught this year?

No, I dont' think so. The biggest one measured so far at the counting station was 57 cm or 22.4 inches. Personally I wasn't there to see it with my own eyes. My dad sent me these videos. I'm still down in California right now.

I don't think they grew to monstrous proportions this year. But we'll see once they do the biomass survey after the spawn.