Thread: Recipes!

Default Recipes!

So I'm grilling up the last of the Mac pup fillets and kokanee this weekend and thought I would sure like to try something different?
    Generally I apply a light coat of butter and load them up with lemon pepper then wrap in tin foil and grill! This is a great way to grill all trout but
    I thought I would throw this out and see if ya all have any ideas to spice things up?

Brine isn't just for smoking. Put your fillets in a brine overnight, rinse and grill. I tend to go with the basics and use soy sauce, apple juice, brown sugar and garlic. Some red pepper flakes if you like some kick.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    So I'm grilling up the last of the Mac pup fillets and kokanee this weekend and thought I would sure like to try something different?
    Generally I apply a light coat of butter and load them up with lemon pepper then wrap in tin foil and grill! This is a great way to grill all trout but
    I thought I would throw this out and see if ya all have any ideas to spice things up?
    Using a charcoal grill lay fillets out flat on foil sheet with your seasoning. I put olive oil or veggie oil in place of butter but either way works. Set charcoal to one side of grill with fillets away from direct heat. Put would chips/chunks of your taste over coals, put lid on grill, let smoke. Once smoke clears, if fish is not quite done slide foil with fillets over coals to add extra heat until done.

for dinners we have served kokanee on a plank with a lemon herb rub, first for presentation go to HD and pickup a bundle of underlayment cedar shakes ( they are the random width thick untreated ones and super cheap ) and cut them so they are about a 1/2 inch wider and taller than the fish it self, then prep your fish I like the skin off so the rub is all over, then make the rub you will need
    1 minced garlic clove
    1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
    1/4 cup of finely chopped oregano
    1/4 cup of green onion finely chopped
    2 tbl sps of lemon juice (fresh is better)
    t tbl sp of good olive oil
    1/4 tea sp fresh cracked tri color pepper ( reg. black is fine this is for color and presentation)
    also you can add lemon slices on the fish for a little more lemon taste
    I broke this down and will do 2 good size kokanee
    dry the fish, generously coat all sides and put on planks
    grill until they are the way you like it and serve on the plank on your dish with your rice and vegies, makes for a great tasting and eloquent dinner. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Kokanee along with Rainbow have a slight bit of sugar in the meat so I like to salt and pepper them and fry them in a little bit of mild olive oil. If you fry them with a lot of heat it converts the sugar and gives out a very different flavor. It caramelizes it a lot how garlic converts when sauteed.

This year we were also using Zatarians Blackened seasoning then cooking them in hot olive oil then eating them in a corn tortilla with home made pico de gallo spread on top. Mmmmmmmmmm

Those are all great suggestions!

I typically put my kokes filets skin down on piece of aluminum foil and place on the grill. Spray top with PAM or such, and sprinkle on Creole seasoning or other to your liking. Cook until almost firm and flip using foil. Skin will come off with foil, and scrape brown meat off with spatula and dispose of with skin and foil. Spray top with PAM and sprinle on seasoning. Flip after a couple minutes to brown both sides. Serve. Can also consider basting with maple syrup containing some chinese garlic hot sauce, again to taste.

Default Grilled Kokanee/Trout

My favorite Kokanee recipe: Good for 4 to 6 fillets. Half the ingredients for less fillets. Works on just about any type of fish.

1/4 cup of brown sugar

1/4 cup of olive oil

1/4 cup of soy sauce

2 TSP lemon pepper spice

1 TSP thyme

1 TSP Basil

1 TSP parsley

1/2 TSP garlic powder

Stir/mix the above ingredients together. Marinate the fillets for at least 1/2 hour. Grill the fillets about 4 minutes per side. Make adjustments for thicker fillets/thinner. Fresh spices make thus recipe even better.
    "There's no losing in fishing. You either catch or you learn."

All very good sounding recipes, I'm going to have to give them a try lake side this year