Thread: Hello / New to forum

Default Hello / New to forum

I thought I would introduce myself. I go by Northman on the fishing forums. I live in SLC Utah. The last few years my fishing has been focused on kokanee and wipers during the soft water season. I also love the hard deck. Right now I'm working on a few upgrades to my 16 ft alumacraft. I just put a new 40hp Honda on it to replace my old 30hp 2 stroke. I love to troll but after a day of fishing, I would shut the motor off and be glad I didnt have to keep listening to it. This Honda is very quiet, and for me that makes for a more enjoyable day on the water. And I hope it will increase my catch rate with less noise as well. I'm waiting for strawberry to get some ice to hit the hard deck. Hopefully we will see some ice by the first of the year. Anyway I just wanted to say Hi and I will post up some reports once we get some ice to fish on.

WELCOME ABOARD NORTHMAN
    I just know stuff...

Glad to have you, the more the merrier!
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Northman Its unusual to be with rain this late in December. Winter is definitely taking its time in getting a foothold. Spent a couple of hours on E Canyon yesterday trolling and the bite is fast & furious. Been catching some descent quality size of bows there lately. Should start seeing the first Wiper batch next year coming out EC.

Thanks guys-

Petty4life- I think I bought two Shasta tackle Anglers touch rods with Cabelas reels from you a few years back when the Jared Johnson Lamaglass rods came out. They went to a good home.

DLM- Some of my favorite tackle comes out of Oregon.

Bduck- I'm exited to put some wipers on deck from East canyon next spring to see how much skinny they put on this winter. I think the big question will be what kind of lures will we target them with. Smallmouth imitating? Crayfish? And will they be run fast or slow, trolled or casted? Whats your thoughts? East Canyon has gone through several different fish species over the last 20-30 years. Before my time there were Kokanee in there. I read that the Kokanee had trouble with the water temp/dirty. And I think the smallmouth in there were illegally introduced. It grows exeptionally nice bows. But they get the parasites, I belive from the warmer water. I kind of wonder if the DWR is putting the wipers in to see if this fishery would do better as a warm water fishery.

I've always liked EC and have fished it for the kokanee in the 70's. Its one of 3 lakes in close proximity that I don't have to spend what seems like a lot of driving hours to get to. I moved away in 1980 to another state but came back 20yrs later. I live only a couple of miles from Willard Bay but never enjoyed the bug population there. Therefore never been Wiper fishing with that. Caught my share of stripers in other states as well as ocean going. Bear L is a fav along with Strawberry & of coarse the Gorge. The EC wipers have my attention and will be looking fwd to the catch. BTW Northman, we have a spring gathering & fall gathering at Bear L. Watch for our dates as the "BRATS". A one day fishing gathering with a potluck at the end of the day.