Thread: Utah rivers running red with salmon

Default Utah rivers running red with salmon

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58...-fish.html.csp

Ryan Mosley | Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Wyoming Game and Fish Department fisheries biologist Craig Amadio with a male kokanee collected in Sheep Creek, a tributary to Flaming Gorge Reservoir. Utah and Wyoming wildlife agencies collect salmon eggs and milt in the fall, raise the resulting fish in hatcheries, and stock the salmon back into the reservoir or creek the following spring.

Gee, Ryan, it sure would be nice to be able to wade in and pick out my own red to hang on the wall. LOL!!!!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

except that's not Ryan
    Tacklebox mafia
    Utah predator callers

I'm just say'n!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Gee, Ryan, it sure would be nice to be able to wade in and pick out my own red to hang on the wall. LOL!!!!
    I would love the same thing, fish that is. I keep trying to get a good one on the lake before the season closes, but I can never seem to get a really big male with that much RED! One year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    I would love the same thing, fish that is. I keep trying to get a good one on the lake before the season closes, but I can never seem to get a really big male with that much RED! One year.....
    My day is coming, maybe not a state record but a nice 5# would make me grin.

Ryan, the "that much RED!" is easy, it's called "paint".

True. I'd like one of these black ones too. They are so unique.... I've only seen this during the late run in October-November which would make it impossible hook-n-line, at least in the Gorge or Sheep Creek.

Attachment 7666

When I get to Utah I'd love to sign up as a volunteer for egg collection. I'm not proud, I'd measure one of those monsters, take a picture and have a casting made.

Just let me know and we'll sign you up. In Sheep Creek, we usually start in September (our first one is actually next Tuesday the 16th) with backpack shocking collections, followed by disease certification and egg-take. We also install an instream trap in mid-October to collect the less abundant late run kokanee. Depending on the magnitude of the run, we do one to two egg-takes a week until we have our egg quota or the run slows down, usually the first week of November.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    Just let me know and we'll sign you up.
    I have often thought getting involved with the egg collection too. I'll take a piece of that action too. Maybe starting next season.

Anytime, this season or next(s). Just let me know. It's always great to have the help and I'm sure you'd be entertained!

Are the Kokanee still running up the inlets in good numbers? I would like to go get some photos if they are.