Thread: Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in Flaming Gorge

Default Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in Flaming Gorge

What do you say when people do numerous unadvisable things and the end results are bad? Everything from boat and motor size to no pfd.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

These people made so many mistakes,i don't know where to start. So I will just say prayers and condolences to all the families involved.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

That lake can be a monster. I had a wave come over my boat, which is an 18 Crestliner, a couple of years ago. There was 6 inches of water in the boat, coolers floating around, it was scary. I was actually going too slow and got caught in between 4 foot swells. Why was I out there ?? Because I love fishing and I'm an idiot !! I get the heck out of there now when it kicks up, not worth it.

There was a similar story a few years ago at Pyramid Lake, NV. The couple were a little bit old and on their honeymoon. The wife was the loan survivor there too. It makes one wonder, maybe a quick paddle to the back of the head.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Sad story, my prayers are with the family.

Well this is bad deal. I can't judge these folks, I do stupid things all the time. The difference is I haven't had any bad luck yet. Accidents like this just make me wake up a little and appreciate my family and everything I have and am able to do. There's always time for safety for yourself and others. If you see someone out and about like these people were, instead of passing them up and murmuring how stupid they are, offer them a ride and a tow to shore. Good karma will follow, help your fellow man when you can.

Default update body found

Glad they was able to find this man,hopefully it will let the family have some closure.

The body of Charles Darrell Thomas, age 69, was located in the Flaming Gorge Reservoir on Saturday, September 20, 2014. The Department of Public Safety dive team was assisting Daggett County Sheriff’s Office using their side scan sonar to search the area where the boat was believed to have capsized. At approximately 5:40 p.m. they found what appeared to be the victim’s body with the side scan sonar. Daggett County contacted Summit County Search & Rescue for assistance with their Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV), a device that allows crews to operate from the surface a remote camera system with a retrieval device. Summit County was able to confirm the location of the boat and the body with the ROV. Daggett County Sheriff’s Office, with the help of Summit County S&R, recovered the body at 11:15 p.m., and Mr. Thomas was positively identified at 11:45 p.m.
    The body was in approximately 194 feet of water, and was 9/10ths of a mile from the shore of Antelope Flats and 1 mile from the shore of Lucerne Marina, approximately in the middle of the bay. He was located approximately 200 feet from where the boat was found.
    Sheriff Jerry Jorgensen acknowledges the crucial role outside agencies played in the search and recovery effort. Daggett County was assisted by Utah Department of Public Safety, Wasatch County S&R, Uintah County S&R, and Summit County S&R all out of Utah, and Sweetwater County S&R out of Wyoming.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

When we came in from fishing Sat Night we could see the red lights flashing from the sheriffs boat, It looked like they were close to and north of
    antelope flats boat ramp.