Thread: Down Rigger releases

Default Down Rigger releases

I have been using the yellow releases for Kokanee. I have not had to purchase any releases for a long time. I just lost one while on a trip. I am in need of getting some more for back up releases. I can't seem to find the yellow ones like I have. I don't know the name of them but they work pretty good. I need to purchase some more releases. Any suggestions on releases for Kokanee.

Thanks Pappy

Seps makes the style you want. They can clip to your rigger ball or the others will clip to your rigger cable to stack or use as your bottom release either way, these are nice in the fact that they have some black tubing over the cable to aid in keeping your fingers from getting bear up
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Kokaneetackle.com has just what you are looking for and they are a sponsor of this website. Just click on their link at the top of the page.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

kokaneetackle.com has several different brands of releases to choose from they also make there own that are pink. o was looking at getting some of those for myself
    I just know stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    I have been using the yellow releases for Kokanee. I have not had to purchase any releases for a long time. I just lost one while on a trip. I am in need of getting some more for back up releases. I can't seem to find the yellow ones like I have. I don't know the name of them but they work pretty good. I need to purchase some more releases. Any suggestions on releases for Kokanee.

Thanks Pappy
    Offshore releases are what you are looking for. They are made in different colors according to tension and type fishing. I keep a supply of yellow releases.

Thanks for the info, I guess I never really noticed the top of the page. Well I will be set now.

Try a Chamberlain release. They are expensive as release go (around $20) but they are infinitely adjustable, and once you figure them out they are magic. They come in a clip in version that goes at the end of your rigger line or a sliding model for stacking. I attach a small length of braided line with a snap on the end as a safety line to the stacking model and clip that to the rigger cable for insurance.

There's a Black's release that looks very similar to the Chamberlain at about half the cost. How do the two releases compare? I just got a boat with downriggers already mounted and am interested in learning to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    There's a Black's release that looks very similar to the Chamberlain at about half the cost. How do the two releases compare? I just got a boat with downriggers already mounted and am interested in learning to use them.
    I use Walker releases which are basically the exact same as the Black's and they are about 1/2 as good as a Chamberlain. Which for me, was good enough for the price. My boat needs exceed my ability to pay that much for a Chamberlain.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I haven't used the Black's releases, but I think they use a tension screw to set the release pressure. The genius of the Chamberlain is it uses a tension screw for the upward pressure (so you can really load the rod if you want to) and an adjustable magnet for the bite pressure release. I can crank my top eyelet down in the water and still have a 10" koke trip the release.

i've been using the chamberlains all year and they are great, i did decide to have a few drinks before ordering them to sell myself on the idea of paying that much for a release, i saw them on kokaneetackle.com for $18.99, i still feel like they are worth the price, time will tell but they are holding up well and i hope to get many years of use from them
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    I haven't used the Black's releases, but I think they use a tension screw to set the release pressure. The genius of the Chamberlain is it uses a tension screw for the upward pressure (so you can really load the rod if you want to) and an adjustable magnet for the bite pressure release. I can crank my top eyelet down in the water and still have a 10" koke trip the release.
    The slight difference in design that mitigates the second adjustment on the Chamberlains just a little is that the Black's and Walkers clip in upsidedown compared to the Chamberlains. By flipping the hinge point, the Black's and Walkers can also be loaded up heavily with a light bite release. No doubt that the Chamberlain is more adjustable and overall better but I'll just reiterate that I'm very happy with my Walkers for 1/2 the price.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The Chamberlains are worth the extra couple bucks. Think about how much money we spend on odds and ends around the boat. The release is something you touch every single time you put a rod down. It also helps ensure you get a good hook up and all of the other money you spent isn't wasted. They are worth it. I also agree with the safety line on the stacker release. I have dropped one in the drink before. I am sure you all know the helpless feeling of watching something sink out of sight...

Chamberlains take a little bit to get set correctly. Once they are set you don't have to mess with them again. They will work right every single time.
    ALL FISH PICTURED IN POSTS ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR

+1
    I agree with Mhari333, in the grand scheme of things the best release is well worth it and the Chamberlains are by far the best. I've used mine all summer for Koks. When I went Coho fishing last week a slight adjustment and we were using the same release @ 2.5-3 mph pulling 11" flashers.
    Take time before time takes you

Chamberlains are the best. Worth the money.

I've got a few of the Black's and a Chamberlain and I will say this, you get what you pay for. While they look cosmetically similar, the magnet is the real trick to the Chamberlain IMO. It allows for some very light and consistent release settings. The separately adjustable up-tension is just icing on the cake. The Blacks releases are nice also. I personally prefer one to an offshore/scotty style.