Thread: Want To See What The Next World Record Kokanee Looks Like?

Default Want To See What The Next World Record Kokanee Looks Like?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing 138.jpg 
Views:	2381 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	7588Let's start with the picture of the kokanee that we caught here in Kalamalka Lake, British Columbia, Canada. This fish was in excess of 11 pounds the current world record is 9.7 lbs.. This fish was 29 inches long with a girth of 19 inches. This fish was touching my body in the picture, to put this into proportion I am 6 feet tall and weigh 240 lbs. If anyone has any questions please drop me thread!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing 136.jpg 
Views:	845 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	7587  
    Last edited by HookedOnKokanee; 07-31-2014 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedOnKokanee View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing 138.jpg 
Views:	2381 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	7588Let's start with the picture of the kokanee that we caught here in Kalamalka Lake, British Columbia, Canada. This fish was in excess of 11 pounds the current world record is 9.7 lbs.. This fish was 29 inches long with a girth of 19 inches. This fish was touching my body in the picture, to put this into proportion I am 6 feet tall and weigh 240 lbs. If anyone has any questions please drop me thread!
    That's a nice HOG!!!! With a world record looming, why no official weigh-in and measurement?

Or a Sockeye! LOL!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

That sure makes one think about making a trip up there for a couple of weeks. Would that ever be fun!

This is where the story gets real, real sad! We are from Alberta and we went to B.C. to fish for kokanee in Kalamalka Lake, after reviewing a fishing report from another fisherman. Just before we left for the trip, on our last walleye trip, while weighing the last fish of the trip, one quick flip of the fish, both the fish and scale to the bottom of the lake!

So there wasn't any panic to replace the scale for the trip since we were only going to fish for kokanee. In my past trip (to different lakes) n B.C., who wants to weigh fish in the 12 to 18 inch size?! At the time , I knew there were sockeye in other systems. very close to this lake. so because of the massive size of these fish, we agreed to agree that these had to be sockeye, since the sizes were huge and no way could this be a little old kokanee?! Because of that we released all the fish. Since the regulation clearly indicated zero limit for sockeye!

Of course, once these pictures went public, the fisheries department in B.C. wanting all the pictures and all the other information. After their review it was confirmed that in this lake there's is no way that any of the migrating sockeye from the other near by systems could ever get into the Kalamalka system. They confirmed that all these fish were indeed kokanee!

We caught three fish of the size in the picture along with some other (now identified) kokanee of large size. So before someone thinks what an idiot I am, I have fished for over 30 years and I am familiar with all these fish in this sorted story. If I was 100% sure the big ones were kokanee, we would of killed two of them, one record for my wife, and one for me, and off to the nearest certified scale and professional pictures.

Here are the rest of the pictures of the big fish that we caught on the trip. If any one wants to know what on, how deep and how fast I would be happy to supply that information as well. cheers Doyle
    Last edited by HookedOnKokanee; 07-31-2014 at 12:01 PM.

.........duplicate sorry
    Last edited by platypus; 08-22-2014 at 04:45 PM.

--I was just on Kal lake yesterday... nothing of this size but we were trying.
    --Agree next record should come from here...
    --So far sockeye have been allowed to return to Skaha lk but are still blocked by a dam at Okanagan lake which Kalamalka drains into.
    --Kalamalka lake drains into Okanagan which was a long standing kokanee world record.

--Not sure I would be holding the fish that way if I was going to release it though.

The date stamp is over a year old, 3 posts from the poster, someone might be selling something, just sayin.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Hey "super d", these our own personal pictures of what happened on the lake last august, I am not selling anything at all, except for a report of kokanee sizes only one can dream of. I have been trying for two years now to break the American record of 9.7 pounds! Anyways, I could post the other 35 pictures of all the other kokanees we got, we just posted the bigger one ... have a great weekend ... where ever you are ... cheers doyle

Sad story, but you can go back and catch another one!

I have a similar story - last summer, I caught a 31" fish that I believed was a lake trout . . . . after conferring with a regional biologist, and showing him the picture, he told me that the pond I was fishing had no lakers and the fish I caught was a splake - I checked the record books and found that the NYS record for splake was 31" . . . . so I released what may have been a state record splake - I've come to terms with it because even though it was the same length as the state record, it may have not been record weight . . . . but it keeps me going back to the pond because I'm pretty sure that there is a record in there!

It is a gorgeous fish and you will get it next time!

--how did you make out this season?
    --I tried kal a couple of days but nothing big enough to show pictures of. Seemed to be fishing a bit tuff this year but still some larger fish to be had.

We went back to the lake on the same four days, august 23, 2014 -- august 26, 2014, fished hard same lures/squids, same equipment ... and very few small fish and one rainbow. Another fisherman "Brandon" from the " Reel Doctor's Fishing Adventures ", also fished the lake hard, but earlier around July 15 to August 20th, he had better success. He was catching fish in the three to four pound area. You can go to "youtube" and watch his videos. Talked to another province renowned fisherman, "Jim Sutherland" and he too, is convinced the next world record will come from this lake and will be in the teens! Jim's says, best chances are just when the ice is off, south part of the lake and June to August. My dream isn't done, I look at that picture everyday ... computer screen saver!! Thank you for your interest, cheers ... Doyle Hansen

Quote Originally Posted by HookedOnKokanee View Post
    We went back to the lake on the same four days, august 23, 2014 -- august 26, 2014, fished hard same lures/squids, same equipment ... and very few small fish and one rainbow. Another fisherman "Brandon" from the " Reel Doctor's Fishing Adventures ", also fished the lake hard, but earlier around July 15 to August 20th, he had better success. He was catching fish in the three to four pound area. You can go to "youtube" and watch his videos. Talked to another province renowned fisherman, "Jim Sutherland" and he too, is convinced the next world record will come from this lake and will be in the teens! Jim's says, best chances are just when the ice is off, south part of the lake and June to August. My dream isn't done, I look at that picture everyday ... computer screen saver!! Thank you for your interest, cheers ... Doyle Hansen
    Sorry to hear that it wasn't as good this year . . . . salmon are a funny fish to try to figure out, but this is quite an adventure and sounds like a great time. I can only imagine how great it must be to target kokes in that setting and be fishing over giants!