Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kokanee Flies

Default Kokanee Flies

After I jumped on the Kokanee fly bandwagon with such great results, I decided to try and teach myself how to tie them. First step was to watch a bunch of YouTube videos on how to lay the thread and tie some finish knots.

Here I'm trying to wrap some material.

First one, doesn't look too bad for a rookie.

Now I've got to put another order together for all the other colors in the rainbow.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Super D,
    What are you using to attach the thread to ? looks like some sort of straw to me. Anyhow, Im starting to experiment with the same thing, other than I ordered the plastic cones that go inside the hoochies to try and tie the thread to. will see how it goes.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

I tied a few to the hoochie cones but not real happy with the fat head look. I'm tying my on ball point pen tube.

I tie mine on coffee straws.

Quote Originally Posted by H2Oguy View Post
    I tie mine on coffee straws.
    All the coffee straws I've seen are dual sippy straws. Do you have some that are single tube?

good job Dave, you have motivated me to try my hand at it, but because most of the kokanee we fish for are in the 11'-13' range we need a smaller presentation. so I thought, our shop generates a bunch of wd-40 straws they are smaller in diameter and red. I will try to flair the end a little to help the skirt from slipping off easily, pink is one of the lakes colors of choice so I will start with that and see how they work. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

All trimmed up, these are approx. 1 1/2" long and catch fish in your size range with no problems at all.

Dave... have you tried these?

I looked in all the craft stores to come up with something to tie them on. I also thought of WD-40 tubes but how to get them. I went to Home Depot and they actually took one off a can for me to try. Then they thought of their coffee straws and went and got some some for me from where they make coffee for the contractors. They are red and white striped and single tubes and fairly strong.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    See reply #3. But I've only tried them in one direction, maybe try one turned the opposite direction.

[QUOTE=SilverBullets;52369]Dave... have you tried these?
    [/QUOTE

What are these called and were do you get them? I have only been able to find big ones.
    I also barrowed some stir straws from work to try they seem stout but we will see.
    Tim

[QUOTE=BAGGEDLB7;52375]
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    [/QUOTE

What are these called and were do you get them? I have only been able to find big ones.
    I also barrowed some stir straws from work to try they seem stout but we will see.
    They come on the trout apex's i retie for koke fishing and are used as a spacer between the lure and hook. The nice thing about them is they have excellent glow quality and are small enough to be used inside hoochies. Some manufacturer's use clear ones for this purpose (might be RMT?) Google fisherman's shack glo-n-dark-hoochie-head-support-hook-spacer-insert.

Go to Randy Beavis FaceBook page and just purchase them from him. Lot of different patterns and will custom tie trolling flies to your specs.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightwyoming View Post
    Go to Randy Beavis FaceBook page and just purchase them from him. Lot of different patterns and will custom tie trolling flies to your specs.
    Seriously?

The nylon thingy's shown above are actually the female components for control surfaces of Radio control airplanes (my other hobby) these nylon parts are called "ball joints" .....i.e. Google "Dubro" RC Aircraft parts, you'll find them there.

In addition, the beautiful pink kokanee flys shown above made with the hollow straw-like bodies are whats known amongst fly fishermen as "Tube Flys" any good fly fishing store will have these short tubes in stock and the special tube adapter for tying them that fits in the jaws of most fly vices.

Hope this helps

Rob
    Last edited by Robbo; 06-30-2014 at 01:38 AM.

yes, very seriously. You will spend a small fortune chasing materials, time involved, and needless trial and error. components to make a truly beautiful fly are expensive and time consuming.

wrightwyoming, or Randy, this is the tackle craft forum and we could spend a small fortune learning a new and satisfying craft or spend a fortune on your flies. I'm sure that some less motivated will buy your flies while some of us will chose to make our own stuff. Heck, someone might even buy one of your over priced flies just to see how they can make it themselves for less money.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Tim

Sorry, didn't realize you where so sensitive. Now I've made you mad. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    . Heck, someone might even buy one of your over priced flies just to see how they can make it themselves for less money.
    I thought we were supposed to be supportive of one another around here. Not chastise others about what they charge.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

WW sometimes I will buy a product if it looks promising, especially if it is from a small business to try it out and help some one get started. I can make most anything I need or use for fishing or any thing else for that mater, and it is not always the cheapest but it is what I want, built the way I want. lets face it if we were into saving money we would just go to the store and buy our fish, way cheaper! I did build some smaller flies last night with the help from Daves instructions using the smaller carb clean straws they are a little smaller than the new wd-40 straws and using some heat and an awl flared the hook end to help the skirt from sliding off plus it gave the skirt a little flair and all I had was purple nail polish to paint the string and bond the thread and they came out pretty good, so I will be trying them at greenpeter next week to see how they work and hold up. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

I guess I never thought my trolling flies were over priced at $5 and $6 . Given the quality of the materials and time involved I thought it was a break even deal. Just trying to give trout and Kokanee fisherman another option that is very productive. Not looking to make any money on these flies, just enough to replace materials.

My mistake for just not deleting your first post as we don't self promote for profit here. Good luck in your endeavors.

Ok, I'll admit to a lack of understanding. What is the advantage of tying these on a tube as opposed to tying them directly on the hook as most flies are tied? Can someone enlighten me? I found some coffee stirrers and am tying some, but I don't see why they'll be better than just tying to a hook.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightwyoming View Post
    yes, very seriously. You will spend a small fortune chasing materials, time involved, and needless trial and error. components to make a truly beautiful fly are expensive and time consuming.

And I have some beachfront property in the Mojave I can sell to you.

Are you talking about Atlantic Salmon or Kokanee patterns here?

With a vise grip, some materials, some You Tube videos, and a little patience, you can be as creative as you like and the fish won't give a darn :).

But if money is no problem and you're in a hurry, I'm sure WW would love to tie up some for you for a price...

Heck I'll tie them up for you with my hands! They might look ugly but they'll catch fish... :)
    All vintage 12' Mirrocraft, 9.9 Mercury sitting on a Dilly trailer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast