Thread: Kokanee and a bit of worm

Default Kokanee and a bit of worm

I know kokanee aren't usually meat eaters. However, I've been catching kokanee on Cascade with a three bladed troll and a small spinner tipped with a bit of worm. Has anyone else gotten kokanee on a worm? If so, where?

Physion

Yes, Lake Stevens in Western Washington, tip a spinner or wiggle hootchie with a bit of worm instead of corn... sometimes it is the ticket!
    "Fish Long and Prosper" -- Mr Spock?

19' Custom Weld "RUNABOUT"

I have a friend that uses nothing but a pop gear and a worm to catch lake trout kokanee or any thing else that swims . I don't know why they hit it but they do.

Meal worms have always competed quite nicely with corn for a hook tipping item. I know it doesn't seem like it some times but Kokes are stupid!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Meal worms have always competed quite nicely with corn for a hook tipping item. I know it doesn't seem like it some times but Kokes are stupid!
    Mealworms have worked consistantly well for me too, on Woods, Okanagan and Kalamalka lakes. Shoepeg is difficult to find locally while Worms, Mealworms and maggots are readily available.

We use "small" pieces of night crawlers tipped on our squids and spinners with good success at Strawberry and Flaming gorge.
    Usually we'll put gulp on one side and crawlers on the other and both seem to work good.

I knew that. Most are too stupid to bite my PERFECT presentation!!
    Take time before time takes you

I fished Crane Prairie a couple years ago trying some place new for kokanee. I put out one of my usual setups that catches kokes just downstream at Wickiup. I also threw out a spinner tipped with a worm hoping to entice a nice trout. All my kokes came on the spinner and worm, nothing on my "normal" kokanee setups. Not sure why this was the case. I have tried worms to tip spinners at Wick when things have been slow but never had any success for kokanee.

I've found that if you put out a pop gear with a worm only on a snelled hook they will hit it like crazy

I've use worms a lot and used as part of my arsenial. I use to cut up pieces soak in the scent, I was using that day actually had very good luck with it. On one hook I use corn the other a piece of worm/just recently it stopped working at Wickiup.

Ya worms..?.. I caught all my Kokanee today at Strawberry with a bit of worm with a squid.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    I've found that if you put out a pop gear with a worm only on a snelled hook they will hit it like crazy
    That's what my grandfather used to use in Ct. years ago. Worked for white perch also.

Resurrecting an old thread here, Are any of you guys still using worms? I have a worm farm on the go with a ton with red wiggler worms, it sounds like a few of you guys have had some decent success while using worms or a piece of worm, so I am going to try them out this spring.
    Twanger

I'm not saying that scent saturated corn is a clean method but I just hate worm dirt all over the inside of the boat.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The only time i use worms for kokanee is to get rid of them after chasing rainbows early season each year... and only for jigging (with a piece or two of corn.) Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference though... where i fish corn works fine alone.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-23-2019 at 01:06 PM.