Thread: Help on Holter lake.

Default Help on Holter lake.

Hey guys, looks like I will be up at Holter lake for the 4th of july, does anybody have any tips or info whatsoever on the kokanee fishing up there. Anything is appreciated!
    Mack's Pro Staff

Upper Holter or lower Holter?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Are you talking about Holter below Canyon Ferry Dam? If so I would launch below Canyon Ferry and go down river to where the boats are. The last time I fished it they used wedding rings pop gear and white corn. Lots of fish but on the small side.

Holter is two lakes below Canyon Ferry (Hauser is in between). Hauser used to be a world class kokanee fishery, but it crapped out 10 - 15 years ago. FWP has tried to resurect it a couple of times, and a 7 pound state record was caught there in 2010, but I think the kokanees have run their course in Hauser. Holter has never to my knowledge been a kokanee fishery. The stocking reports show they did a stocking of kokanee in Holter in 2009, but not since, and I've never heard of any being caught out of Holter. Holter can be very good for rainbows in the 2-5 pound range and walleye and perch fishing can be pretty good. Helena Valley Regulating Reservoir is a pretty decent kokanee fishery in the Helena area. It's a small lake (about 500 acres), relatively shallow (there is some 40 - 50 foot deep water, but most of the lake is 12 - 25 feet deep. It is an electric trolling motor use only lake. I do pretty well trolling with the usual kokanee gear - dodgers and spinners, hoochies and apexes tipped with corn/gulp maggots. The fish have been running about 14 - 15 inches pretty consistently. I'd take you out while your here, but I'll be out of town for my daughter's wedding.

Thanks guys. It is the upper holter, I believe. After doing some research it seems that it is a rainbow fishery and that is what I will be after it looks like. More of a camping trip but I will post a report if we fish much! Thanks again.
    Mack's Pro Staff

Hey, Thanks guys, just got back from holter. We didn't fish much but we caught a few 16-17" trout just trolling around with cranks and cripplures. A few buddies did ok on walleye the day before we got there pitching jigs into the shore. Sorry no pictures!
    Mack's Pro Staff