Thread: Need help with VHF Marine Radio

Default Need help with VHF Marine Radio

I just bought a Uniden Atlantis 250BK VHF Marine Radio
    I'm going to Flaming Gorge Monday for a week, A lone. and my wife is not Happy. but she is going on a trip for a week, so Im going fishing for a week

What channels do people use, If you need help what channel do you use. I beleve this radio has a 8 mile range

I have a 19 1/2' Tracker boat. with 150 merc a 9.9 merc kicker motor and a minn kota elect.
    I will be at Lucerne campground.

You'll want to monitor channel 16 (emergency channel) if it's a non emergency you'll want to ask who your talking to to change to another channel. If you look in your owners manual for the radio it will give a list of specific channels designated for certain purposes. Also, some channels will have different power levels.

Your radio is 5 watts so you're only gonna get 8 miles if we're on the ocean with no mountains in your way. Your reception on the Gorge is gonna be hit and miss depending on where you are and where the person your talking with is. You'll just have to use it and see how it works for you.

If you're unhappy with your reception, a better option is a 25 watt fixed mount radio with a 8' antenna. Obviously that entails some install work and a bulky antenna, so it's more personal preference.

I'll be at lucerne next week and will say hi if I see your boat.

VHF radios are line of sight reception. It doesn't take much height to block signal from a hand held unit. In addition to what berrykoka said, you will get reception from a much longer distance than you can transmit in open water due to the 5 watt power output. So, just because you can hear other boaters talking, it won't mean that they can hear you.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk