Thread: Fish Finder Recommendations

Default Fish Finder Recommendations

Hi I'm a new to this forum and also fairly new to Kokanee fishing and need some advice on the purchase of a fish finder. I've been looking at the Lowrance 7 HDI and wondering if any of you have had experience using it on the Gorge? Any advise or other recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

I use an older Lowrance unit but also have a newer unit made by Raymarine, really enjoying this unit. You'll have to decide your price range but other units made by Hummingbird also make good units. Combo units GPS/SONAR get a little more pricey but worth it.

The only kind I have ever used is a Humminbird I have a 998 but I don't think you could go wrong with a Lowrance,
    but if you want, have are get a elect. Trolling motor I would get the i-Pilot Link trolling motor and Humminbird. the Humminbird will control the i-Pilot Link trolling motor

We also have a Raymarine and it's linked to the IPilot. But we're also looking at replacing it soon.

I am running a HDS 7 Gen2 (don't buy gen1) on the bow and a HDS 9 touch screen on the dash. I really like the touch and it is nice to have the two units networked.
    Last edited by clawman; 06-16-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: additional info
    Take time before time takes you

I've been looking at a Hds Gen Touch 9... Love the larger screen and the touch is just like using my Ipad mini!

I have the Humminbird 1198si. It is overkill but it is awesome. It has a 10 inch screen and is easy to use. It controls the electric trolling motor when you want and also allows you to use the contour tracking. You tell it which contour line to follow and it keeps you at the same basic depth. Pretty nice feature.

I also have a Garmin echomap 70dv. It has a 7inch touch screen. It is a lot less expensive and does a good job. I am partial to the Humminbird but the Garmin is half the cost.

Has anyone used the new Lowrance with "CHIRP" technology? According to Lowrance it's pretty cool.

Other than making a bird sound when it finds fish, what exactly does "chirp" do?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Attachment 7356

I have never posted pictures so if this works this is from my HB

SuperD-
    Standard Sonar

Standard sonar sends 1 single frequency at a time. Since the only feedback is from this 1 single frequency, there is little information to work with, limiting the clarity and resolution available with standard sonar.

CHIRP Sonar

Instead of sending just 1 single frequency, CHIRP sends a continuous sweep of frequencies ranging from low to high. CHIRP sonar technology then interprets frequencies individually upon their return. Since this continuous sweep of frequencies provides CHIRP with a much wider range of information, CHIRP sonar is able to create a much clearer, higher resolution image.

Here is a VERY detailed description: http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...explained.html

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Other than making a bird sound when it finds fish, what exactly does "chirp" do?
    The high end saltwater and commercial units all use the chirp technology now, and it is making its way to the lower priced units. I would bet that in a few years it will be the standard for most fish finders.....

My fish finder still tells me how deep of water I am in and I just ask the guys with the expensive units how deep are the fish biting. LOL! I get a lot less frustrated by not seeing all the arches on the screen that I'm not catching.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Super D, the fishfinder is like anything else really. Cost versus return will never pay off. Some kid in a 10 foot rowboat could be paddling right next to you catching fish because he is holding his head right and karma is dialed in. Spend a fortune on electronics then spend the day scratching your head trying to figure out how to make it all work. I like shiny heavy toys with plugs on the back. Gives me something to play with when the fishing is slow. HA! The biggest benefit is that when the big Humminbird says there is a fish, there is usually always a fish. Catching it, on the other hand, is up to me.