Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Trolling Motor Setup Advice?

Default Electric Trolling Motor Setup Advice?

Hello all

Am looking for input/advice on an Electric Trolling Motor Setup for my recently acquired 1995 Proline 19' Center Console fishing boat with a 95 Mercury 115hp 2-Stroke motor. I don't have much confidence the old tech Merc is going to be able to troll for Kokes without loading up or if it will even troll down slow enough period. Installed a Trol-A-Matic trolling plate a friend gave me but haven't got over to Berryessa to try it out. Don't want to go with a gas kicker as there's too much weight on the stern already with the 350lb Merc and two Starting/Downrigger batteries.

So, here are some questions. I don't need/want a top of the line set-up, just want something that will allow me to get 5-6 hours a day in trolling.

Trolling Motor

How much thrust would I need in a electric trolling motor and should I go 12 volt or 24 volt? Total weight of my boat partially fueled with a couple of guys & gear is easily 2700lbs+. Being the motor will be Bow-mounted, remote control would be a must - what are the least expensive options for remote control?

Batteries

I have room in the bow for a pair of batteries dedicated to the trolling motor. I guess voltage will depend on whether I go with a 12 or 24 volt trolling motor. As to connecting the two batteries together, what's better - in Parallel or in Series? Who's a good source for cart batteries at a decent price - Interstate, Costco?

Charging

I have a Honda EU1000I generator and a IOTA DLS-45 Charger I was thinking I could use after fishing each day on multi-day trips to recharge - anything wrong with that idea?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	7329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	7328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	7327  

Finatic,
    You are going to want a 24 volt system for the amount of weight that you have with that boat. 70 lbs - 80 lbs of thrust. So, with a 24 volt system, you ae going to want to stay away from the cart batteries, which would require 4 - 6 volt. I would recommend 2 - 12v group 31 batteries. That will get you an all day troll in most conditions except for the very windiest of days.

Regarding charging, you will not likely be able to get a good recharge off your gen set. Each day will result in fewer and fewer trolling hours.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Prescribed wiring diagram fro a 24 volt system

Corrected!
    Last edited by SuperD; 06-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Am I seeing that correctly? The middle red line from the left battery pos to the right battery neg is a dead short across 24 volts? Yeah? The rest looks correct.

yes that would be a direct short if the middle red wire was connected. it must be a typo. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

The diagram is correct. That is how you get to 24v. If the reds were connected and the blacks connecter you still have 12v with a lot more amps.
    Take time before time takes you

clawman the diagram Dave has posted now is correct for 24v. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Guess I didn't see the original one
    Take time before time takes you

Ok - Ran up to Lake Sonoma this afternoon to test the Merc with the Trol-a-Matic. While the big lump seems to want to putt along ok and I was able to troll as slow as 1.4mph, the noise and smell of 2stroke fumes is not acceptable plus the boat was very reluctant to get up on plane and lost about 10mph off top speed. Oh well, off to eBay for Mr Trol-a-Matic.

So, it looks like a 24 volt, 70-80# thrust electric is in my future.

More questions...

For charging two 12v Group 31 batteries, what's the best way?

Is Minn Kota pretty much the choice for electric trolling motors these days?

Between the Minn Kota Powerdrive 70 V2 and the Riptide ST 80, is 10lbs of thrust and the touted increased corrosion resistance of the Riptide series the only difference?

Would I notice much difference between a 70 vs 80lb thrust motor?

Is i-Pilot the shiznit or what?

Charging, a dual, 2 bank on board charger with as many amps as you can afford.

Minn Kota seems to be the leader in the market. The remainder of your questions are all value of quality upgrades and relate to your price point. The iPilot is the cats meow and qualifies as top of the line that you said you didn't need in your original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Finatic View Post
    Ok - Ran up to Lake Sonoma this afternoon to test the Merc with the Trol-a-Matic. While the big lump seems to want to putt along ok and I was able to troll as slow as 1.4mph, the noise and smell of 2stroke fumes is not acceptable plus the boat was very reluctant to get up on plane and lost about 10mph off top speed. Oh well, off to eBay for Mr Trol-a-Matic.

More questions...

Between the Minn Kota Powerdrive 70 V2 and the Riptide ST 80, is 10lbs of thrust and the touted increased corrosion resistance of the Riptide series the only difference?

The batteries take a long time to charge, usually 6-8 hours. IMO Super D has it nailed as far as what to expect. with 80 lbs and a 24 volt system. That being said a really windy day could end your fishing in a few hours. The Ipilot is the shiznit. It is probably my favorite feature of my boat. If you plan to EVER use it in the salt go with the Riptide. I know the $ is a jump but the Ipilot is well worth it.

Lucky Duck, on real windy days you just have to troll downwind all day. LOL!

Whenever I troll down wind on a windy day, the stern wants to race the bow to the end of the lake!

Thanks everyone - being new to this stuff I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and helping guide me to purchase what will work best for my application! I'm not a cheapskate but am not well-off in terms of being able to afford the absolute best all the time.

In researching On-Board, 2 Bank Chargers, the highest charging rate I could find was 15 amps per battery bank. Minn Kota offers two models, the MK 230D at $300 list and the MK 230PC at $350. Pro Charging Systems (Dual-Pro) appears to be Minn Kota's major competitor offering their Model PS2 at about $280. Specs & Warranty appear similar between the two manufacturers offerings - the big difference I see is Minn Kota is made in China while the Dual-Pro is designed & made here in the US in Tennessee. Any comments on which unit I should go with?

For Batteries, I checked Costco and the biggest 12v Deep Cycle they sell is a Group 27 for $87 each while Interstate has Group 31 DC units for $153 each. Would I lose a major amount of run time going with two Group 27's vs 31's or would I be ok unless I was fighting a lot of wind?

Wal Mart - Wet cell 29's & 31's at a price you can afford upfront and you can afford to replace when the time comes. I am a cheapskate when it comes to my trolling batteries. 27's are too small for trolling motor.

Thanks Dave

I may have made up my mind on the Charger. Found out if you buy a Minn Kota Mk-230PC before July 1st, you get a $50 Am Ex Gift Card as a rebate. Hodges Marine Electronics price is $202.90 after the rebate so can't really pass it up. You think that charger will do the job for me?

Hello all
    Installed a Trol-A-Matic trolling plate a friend gave me but haven't got over to Berryessa to try it out.
    Do a periodic inspection of the spring attachment points. This trolling plate is under constant load and will show signs of cracking. One of my springs broke free and when I went into reverse the spring got caught in prop. Prop repair is the same price as a new prop unless of coarse you went all out for a stainless.

Finatic reading your post take this for what ever its worth. You have a nice boat I personnel have a RipTide 101 on my sled front mounted 36 volt system. I feel its a special piece of equipement it is not a kicker and will never take the place of a kicker. The 101 is like 3 1/2 horse power thats it. your limiting your boat in my personnel option. Your boat will handle a kicker just fine were you got the idea it would be to heavy you may want to rethink. When you look around you will notice most of the other boats are running electric along with a kicker system as for electric taking the place I feel you just may have it backwards. Good Luck

mrmike, from personal preference, I'd back your opinion. However, I've got a close fishing buddy that couldn't afford the kicker when he bought his boat so just has the electric at the moment. I've been fishing with him for the last few years in it and it does just fine for day trips. Ideal, no, but very fishable without the kicker.

Finatic,

I run a 2 stoke kicker, it is 7.5hp and will run cool all day and never loads up, the motor was cheap and is pretty light, not sure of actual weight but it can’t weigh more more than 50-60lbs, prolly a few hundred dollars could get you a decent motor

It sounds like you are set on the electric, but for a lot less money and most likely not too much hassle you could have a kicker in place, i almost never see guys running 2 stroke kickers anymore but it has worked well for me for years now and I’ve talked a few buddys into it, the ultimate in the wind is always bow mounted trolling motor for steering plus kicker running at low idle for forward speed

Good luck with everything
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Thanks Dave

I may have made up my mind on the Charger. Found out if you buy a Minn Kota Mk-230PC before July 1st, you get a $50 Am Ex Gift Card as a rebate. Hodges Marine Electronics price is $202.90 after the rebate so can't really pass it up. You think that charger will do the job for me?
    yup, that's a good unit
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

I have the minnkota PC 230 and it works great, charges fast, conditions and balances your batteries. Bought my batteries at Costco, two group 27s and I can fish hard for an easy eight hours much to my surprise. I have a sea ray 19 ft. Open bow roughly 2700 lbs. with a 80 lb. I pilot riptide and I love my set up. When there's no wind I put up my I/O to save on the drag but if the wind comes up back down she goes to help keep the back end straight. You won't be disappointed with a 230pc, money is tight for me but it was worth saving up for...

Thanks for all the replies & suggestions!

After considering costs & everything, I've decided to go with a brand new Nissan 6hp Four Stroke Hi-thrust kicker with 5 year warranty for $1499 total shipped to my door. I will be taking the Proline out of Bodega Bay & Ft Bragg for Salmon, Rockfish, & Tuna so the safety benefit of having a small hi-thrust kicker out there made my decision an easy one.

Found a great deal on a brand new 2012 Suzuki DF9.9THL Hi-Thrust 4-Stroke with Electric Start & Power Tilt for $2250 + tax. Will be picking it Tuesday and having a friend weld/fabricate a rock-solid reinforced transom mounting bracket out of 1/4" SS plate. Will post up pics when it's all done. Can't wait to get over to Berryessa & catch some fat Kokes!

More questions...

I know this is an old post, but had to comment. I am suprised you are having issues. I have the troll-o-matic. It Has had no effect on my boats performace. Planes fine, and has even given me a couple more mph to my top speed. went from around 37 alone to 40-42 alone. I can troll as slow as .65 mph with it. My 90 hp motor running near idle is also much quieter than my old kicker running half to 3/4 speed. All in all, was the best $130 i have ever spent. The only thing that will get me away from it is a self charging electric motor that never dies :)
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast